Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Mods, Tables and Customs => Topic started by: ReanimatedRobot on September 02, 2020, 11:27:32 AM

Title: The Big Pizza Charcoal Basket
Post by: ReanimatedRobot on September 02, 2020, 11:27:32 AM
Not sure if this has been done before, but I was inspired by the bigger better basket mod and I saw a photo of how a pizza cue set up clearly had the charcoal shaped in a "C" shape.  Prior to this mod I would do what everyone else would do.  Use a couple charcoal baskets in a partial "C" shape and bank the coals against the bowl.  It works, but it generally it would still require coals right against the bowl.  So I had some extra charcoal baskets laying around and decided to try something different. 

First things first I used some pliers to disassemble 3 charcoal baskets.  I took two of the outside pieces of the baskets and using the existing holes I took some old screw/nut hardware and fastened them together.  Using two inside/bottom pieces I test fitted them inside the bowl with the charcoal grate.  I used a sharpie to mark how wide I wanted the basket to be and then set a 3rd inside/bottom piece inside the big basket to figure out the placement.  I then marked where I wanted to drill my holes to attach two more screws/nuts.  I used a nail to punch a hole in the metal and then a step down drill bit to widen the holes out.  I test fitted the 3rd inside/bottom piece in the big basket again to mark two holes where the existing holes already were in the big basket.  After all my holes were drilled, I reassembled the 3rd basket in its original form, placed it in the big basket, and it attached it all together with hardware.  Did a little metal shaping by hand in the grill and it was done. 

I think it should work pretty well.  At its narrowest point there is approximately a 3" gap at the ends of the "C" channel and towards the middle there is probably a 6" gap.  Probably the best part of the basket is that it should keep a majority of the coals from being directly against the bowl of the grill.  I plan on giving it a test run this weekend! 

Let me know if anyone has questions!

Title: Re: The Big Pizza Charcoal Basket
Post by: ReanimatedRobot on September 02, 2020, 11:28:27 AM
The pics...

I placed the kettle pizza tombstone grate in the kettle pizza ring just to see how it lined up.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: 1911Ron on September 03, 2020, 12:16:23 PM
Nice job!
Post by: SteveZ on September 05, 2020, 05:48:58 AM
Nice Job Bill! I may have to borrow that design!
Post by: racedvl on September 05, 2020, 06:32:10 PM
Not a bad idea!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: ReanimatedRobot on September 06, 2020, 03:21:26 PM
One heaping chimney of charcoal and fire! Probably enough capacity for at least 1/2 chimney or more that could be added without banking it against the kettle.

If I was making it from scratch I would do a higher outside wall and have it slanted back with the shape of the bowl. All and all this is pretty good for using some spare baskets.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: ReanimatedRobot on September 06, 2020, 06:41:47 PM
Dinner was delicious...

Post by: Walchit on September 09, 2020, 05:30:05 AM
I was gonna ask where the pics were, scrolled down and saw them, then I was gonna ask where the pizza was, scrolled down and saw it too! Pretty slick design, I like it. And now I gotta make the trip to robot's pizzeria!

Ps, where is the basil? Lol