Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: weitzd on June 25, 2013, 06:43:33 PM

Title: How to remove legs from 26" kettle
Post by: weitzd on June 25, 2013, 06:43:33 PM
Hello all,

New to this forum, but I've been reading a lot of posts and have decided to pull the trigger on a new 26" kettle. I want to take it to the beach to cook for the family. The problem is that all the grills I can get my hands on are already assembled.

So the question is, how difficult is it to remove the legs for the grill and how would one do it??

Thanks for any help,
Dave
Title: Re: How to remove legs from 26" kettle
Post by: G$ on June 25, 2013, 06:47:38 PM
Friction and gravity hold them in. To remove, simply pull them straight out witha very very very slight twisting motion.  Twist, but don't rock them.
Post by: Bman on June 25, 2013, 07:07:35 PM
Remove the lid, cooking grate, and charcoal grate.  Flip the kettle upside down and follow G$'s direction.
Post by: Heyjude on June 25, 2013, 08:51:11 PM
Wow, a 26er for the beach.. That's gonna be impressive.. 8)
Post by: colin.p on June 26, 2013, 04:19:25 AM
Yah, either you have a considerably sized family, or you aren't gonna just BBQ hotdogs.
Post by: weitzd on June 26, 2013, 06:59:34 AM

Thanks everyone for easing my concern about removing legs and transporting this beast, looks like I will be pulling the trigger on a 26er...

As for the beach trip, its actually a family re-union/beach trip. We'll have 16 people at a beach house for a week. My tailgating grill ( a 1/2 barrel converted to a charcoal grill) just won't cut it for this size crowd.

BTW, long term plan is to build this 26er into something that I can attach to my SUV's receiver to haul for tailgating. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions on this project once I get back from the beach!

Dave
Post by: colin.p on June 26, 2013, 07:30:06 AM
Sounds cool. I hoped it wasn't JUST for hot-dogs, not a big fan of hot-dogs. BTW, make sure you take lots of pictures, 'cause we all don't get out much and really like to ogle kettle pR0n
Post by: weitzd on July 24, 2013, 12:54:15 PM
Just to close this out, the legs came off very easily. To the point where I wondering why in the world I was worried. Followed G$ and Bman's instructions and legs came off with only minor force applied.

As for the grill, it worked perfect at the beach. Mostly grilling, but did Q some chicken. We did have a little trouble getting the temp high enough for the chicken using the baskets from weber. We just ditched the baskets, got more coals in there and pulled them over an up the sides. I will be looking for a mod to build larger baskets ;)

Thanks again for the help and sorry but no pROn