Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: PotsieWeber on March 10, 2020, 05:38:14 PM

Title: Another GRATE question -cheap porcelain coated wire for WSMs or Stackers?
Post by: PotsieWeber on March 10, 2020, 05:38:14 PM
Generally, I just keep using my trusty rusty grates.
However, I recently picked up a newer 26, which appears to have SS grates so I'm guessing I might get spoiled.

Some time back, when looking at a kettle, I noticed the guy had what appeared to be a porcelain coated wire grill. 

I also noticed that you can get non-Weber porcelain coated wire grates plain (but with handles) for pretty darn cheap.  I was thinking these might work fairly well on smokers, stackers & the like because the flip up grates are not necessary.  Additionally, because the temperatures tend not to get as hot & what get on there basically winds up less crusty & might be fairly easy to clean on cold porcelain or using something gentle like the wood scraper stuff (mine is actually a $5 long handled wood restaurant cooking paddle).  In another thread, I remember reading that another type of porcelain coated grates needed to be cleaned gently or while cold to prevent damage to the porcelain coating. 

Wondered if anyone tried these on a smoker, stacker, elevated grate, whatever and what your experience was.

Title: Re: Another GRATE question -cheap porcelain coated wire for WSMs or Stackers?
Post by: bamakettles on March 10, 2020, 07:25:13 PM
I did a mod on my WSM 22.5, adding a 3rd grate (between the top and bottom) 5 inches down from the top grate using shelf L brackets with the pins knocked out.  I needed a grate exactly 21” wide and could only find one made by charbroil that is porcelain coated.  Amazon had them for $19 but I found them online from Menard’s for $6 with free shipping.  (No Menards in my state). I’ve used the grate only once during a combo ribs/pork butt cook and it was super easy to clean with warm soapy water and a paper towel afterward.  I did spray it with canola oil though before and after, treating it the same as a plated grate.  Hope that helps....

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Another GRATE question -cheap porcelain coated wire for WSMs or Stackers?
Post by: PotsieWeber on March 11, 2020, 02:14:37 AM
Thanks @bamakettles.  I was actually looking at the ones at Menards.