Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: gobirds11 on February 13, 2020, 12:17:42 PM

Title: Kettle 22" accessories
Post by: gobirds11 on February 13, 2020, 12:17:42 PM
How's it going,
I am putting together my weber kettle tomorrow and was wondering what else I may be in need of or want to get for it. I have all of the essentials (cover, weber charcoal baskets, utensils, etc.) but I have been looking online and on amazon at some more. The vortex, slow n sear are two accessories that I have been hearing about all the time but the price for a slow n sear seems pretty high at the moment. Is it that worth it? The vortex on the other hand sounds great for wings and indirect cooking. Other things I have found an interest in are the pizza stone by weber, the little griddle 14 for the kettle, and maybe cast iron grates. Was just seeing if anyone had experiences with these products or if you recommend something better/cheaper. Thanks!
Title: Re: Kettle 22" accessories
Post by: Lomey on February 13, 2020, 12:32:47 PM
I have both the Vortex and SnS and love them both.  Look for the SnS 1.0.  It can be had for $59 compared to $99 for the 2.0.  I think it works just fine. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post by: ReanimatedRobot on February 13, 2020, 12:40:41 PM
Both are good accessories to have.  If you are interested in pizza I would recommend looking into kettle pizzas offering over Weber.  I have their ring, tombstone piza stone and steel top plate and they work fantastic and makes some of the best pizza you will have.  If you look for coupons from Westlakes and online bbq stores it can help lower the price and you can pick up parts of it here and there.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: jhagestad on February 13, 2020, 12:49:50 PM
Welcome from Highland Park, Illinois! I should have checked here first before replying to your other post!

Using mod posts on this forum, I combined two weber charcoal baskets to make one larger one (size of the slow n sear). However, I know that the slow n sear 1.0 is a good product, and you can't go wrong with decent accessories!  I use the large basket for all my indirect cooks as it keeps the coals in place and stacked well while cooking.
Post by: HoosierKettle on February 13, 2020, 01:02:47 PM
Accessories are nice but you don’t need anything. The provided baskets are adequate or you can bank coal to one side with no baskets.

The only accessory that I consider a must have is a good instant read thermometer.

Next on my list would be good heavy duty aluminum foil in the wide roll to use as a drip pan or wrapping.

A cast iron pan is handy to have if you don’t have one.

Also a rotisserie is a great option and really the only kettle accessory that can’t be mimicked without one.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: HoosierKettle on February 13, 2020, 01:04:31 PM
And in my case, plenty of beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: jhagestad on February 13, 2020, 01:06:30 PM

Amen to that.
Post by: michaelmilitello on February 13, 2020, 02:50:09 PM
I think you have the basics covered. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Dc_smoke309 on February 13, 2020, 02:54:55 PM

If you don’t have this ... than what is the point ?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: bamakettles on February 13, 2020, 03:14:46 PM
I recommend using your kettle for a while and do some research to see if things you find will be something of value to you.  I really like some of the upgrades I've added to my 2006 workhorse..... and I use my red limited edition mostly with the kettle pizza accessory.  I occasionally cook burgers on my classic reds but MUST clean them to new condition after each cook, so very rarely.  Here are a few I've tried and really like:

1.  Unknown BBQ lid hinge
2.  Slow-N-Sear 1.0 and 2.0 both with stainless drip pan
3.  Cable Gland type probe port
4.  TipTopTemp top vent cover to control temps
5.  Wireless temp monitor w/probes - I bought 3 but my favorite is the Maverick XR-50 and I don't use the InkBird or the Amazon basic one I bought
6.  Clip on cell phone holder that holds the XR-50
7.  Hinge Grate - you may have this already, I've not gotten that expensive stainless one
8.  Vent handle made from a file handle (youtube tom horsman weber kettle mods)
9.  Leg extensions (same guy, fun videos)
10.  Check out youtube videos - makes it so much fun!  PhilInFlorence, BabyBackManiac, Harry Soo, TRoy Cooks, BadBeastBBQ, MeatCranium, The Woodshed Smoke & BBQ with Slowhand  and many more
Post by: bamakettles on February 13, 2020, 03:15:01 PM
And BEER

One more, not an accessory really but I've discovered Nitrile gloves as well.  Been through a box of 100 and now on my second box.  Nice to have clean hands!
Post by: LiquidOcelot on February 13, 2020, 03:40:49 PM
Beer and beef. Perhaps tongs

Sent from my SM-G973U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: gobirds11 on February 13, 2020, 06:24:50 PM
This forum is awesome, thank you all so much for the feedback and input. I just put the grill together and I'm pumped to try it out tomorrow. A nice beer is for sure going to go a long great with the charcoal!
Post by: jcnaz on February 13, 2020, 07:13:26 PM
a charcoal chimney and lighter cubes.
Post by: 29tx on February 13, 2020, 08:33:59 PM
Lots of good info already. I want a slow n sear and might get one some day, but as mentioned earlier the bigger better basket has been my favorite accessory so far. Cheap too if you already have a drill. I've thought about cast iron but it's too humid down here and I know I wouldn't take care of them, but the hinged grates are really nice too. I want to get killa grilla or adrenaline bbq large hinge grate too.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842.0 (http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=28842.0)
Post by: ClubChapin on February 14, 2020, 02:42:07 AM
I’d recommend a chimney and an instant read thermometer. If you are smoking, a remote thermometer. With your kettle and baskets you have plenty of options for cooking. Practicing and experimenting, much more than accessories, will help you up your game. With experience you’ll figure out which accessories will be useful for you.
Post by: tibas92017 on February 14, 2020, 04:39:12 AM
Added to my Weber Performer Deluxe:

SlowNSear Plus(must have)
DripNGriddle(Must Have)
Easy-Spin Stainless Steel Grate(Must Have)
Good Pair of Welder's Gloves(Must Have)
Weber Tongs(Must Have)
Weber Chimney(Must Have)
Lighter Cubes
Thermoworks Instant Read Thermometer(Must Have)

All the above bought within the last couple of years.

Post by: captjoe06 on February 15, 2020, 03:09:43 AM
I’d recommend a chimney and an instant read thermometer. If you are smoking, a remote thermometer. With your kettle and baskets you have plenty of options for cooking. Practicing and experimenting, much more than accessories, will help you up your game. With experience you’ll figure out which accessories will be useful for you.

This plus Weber lighter cubes and nitrile gloves. Good set of tongs.

If you find they are into long slow cooks next year try a roti and or slow n sear.
Post by: WNC on February 15, 2020, 04:27:20 AM
Some great ideas here
+1 on the rotisserie

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: Frank Gospel on February 15, 2020, 04:47:57 AM
Definitely get the Spider 22 pellet adapter.  You can do some great low and slow bbq, but you're not permanently changing the kettle to pellets.  You can still do charcoal cooks. Awesome add on.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: PotsieWeber on February 15, 2020, 07:06:56 AM
I love my rotisserie.
My view is you don't need a lot of other stuff & can basically "make do" with similar things that are significantly less expensive. 

You'll see a lot of alternatives to a vortex if you search "poortex".  I found an old SS mixing bowl at flea market that was made in Korea & lopped the bottom off, for my "poortex"- very, very cheap.  Much of what the slow & sear does can be duplicated with baskets, also search "bigger basket or marty basket".  Yeah, it doesn't hold liquid & has openings on the sides.  Don't want openings on the sides, cut a thin piece of sheet metal & put it on the flat side (because the curved is facing the other direction anyway).  Want some liquid, put some in a SS container & set it right next to your basket.
Check out post by @Jules V. because he does a lot of stuff with perforated SS that is easy to do, accomplishes similar things to something you could spend some decent cash on.

One thing I did spring for based on a @Jules V. modification was a new SS comal (checked first locally for a used one with the right configuration & size, but there wasn't much of anything useful) to fit a 22" to cut the raised center out (although I haven't got around to it yet).  I'll probably look at some of the local metal supply places to check out the perforated SS he uses to make some of his neat toys. 

I'd try out your grill, have fun with it, & eventually figure out how you like to cook & what you really want to spend cash on.  I might even try & see if there is anyone near you with an item that you find interested that might either let you borrow it or let you watch next time they use it, just to see it used in person.  That way, you hopefully don't wind up spending $$ on something you rarely use or that you could have easily done for significantly less $$. 
Post by: LowandSlow on February 15, 2020, 08:33:33 AM
 I have a SnS , dualprobe remote thermometer,  full kettle pizza setup ,and the weber gourmet system, but what I use most is a foil pan under my brisket or ribs to catch the drippings that I use for starting my sauce .
Post by: PotsieWeber on February 15, 2020, 10:49:04 AM
I second using something to catch the drippings, even if you are going to pitch.  When I used my rotisserie, I usually have a charcoal basket on either side & I just take a big sheet a aluminum foil & fold up the ends to make a pan to catch the drippings. 

I also make this cheap aluminum foil pan for other items that don't use the rotisserie even if I'm not saving the drippings.  Some people even use a dedicated stainless pan instead.  There are many ways to help keep your kettle clean, & usually to accomplish a lot of other things.  My particular barbeque advice is worth about what you paid for it, maybe even less.  If you do some searches, you will find a lot of awesome things you can try.  Also, you'll find a lot just watching the boards.  I love checking out the mods, but don't go to that board often enough. 

I have a SnS , dualprobe remote thermometer,  full kettle pizza setup ,and the weber gourmet system, but what I use most is a foil pan under my brisket or ribs to catch the drippings that I use for starting my sauce .
Post by: tibas92017 on February 17, 2020, 04:43:22 PM
A couple of years ago I bought the SlowNSear Plus 1.0 and their DripNgriddle Pan for my 22" Weber Mastertouch Grill and both are great products. Also, recommend you get one of those great "Thermoworks" Products to check the temperature.
Post by: tibas92017 on February 17, 2020, 04:46:45 PM
I love my rotisserie.

I am thinking of getting one, so, how many times in a month do you use it?  Beside Chicken, what type of meat using your rotisserie?

Post by: Jon Wik on February 17, 2020, 05:29:21 PM
An understanding wife

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: PotsieWeber on February 17, 2020, 05:46:18 PM
I use it for chicken & even a turkey, but I've seen others use it for a variety of other cooks.
After I started using it, I've wound up using it for maybe a 25%, or a bit more, of my cooks.  Typically, I'll have a basket on either side and often throw some potatoes wrapped in foil under the birds (I usually cook 2-3 chickens, depending on the size).  Other times, after the chicken has been cooking a while, I'll throw some sausages or burgers underneath the birds so they also cook indirectly.  I'll usually throw them over the coals at the end.

I haven't done beef or pork on it yet, but will give it a "whirl" when the weather gets nicer. 

Depending on where you are located, you might be able to pick up a used rotisserie for significantly cheaper & if you are lucky, you can get one "free" with a used kettle purchase.  If you are not in a hurry, just keep your eyes open for opportunities.  Even if you pick up just a rotisserie ring only, you can often pick up a used (or new, but for a no longer current model) motor & skewer for a gas grill that you might have to modify a bit to use (just make sure the skewer is long enough for the roti ring).

I've seen the rotisseries with rings for $80 to $100 locally used, but I always guessed that is mostly someone who bought it with a grill & flipped both of them.  I've gotten one complete one (older tabbed style) but with another brand of motor when I bought a grill & another ring only with another grill.  Picked up a cheap NIB skewer & motor to use for that one. 

I am thinking of getting one, so, how many times in a month do you use it?  Beside Chicken, what type of meat using your rotisserie?

Post by: Andyinlz on February 18, 2020, 05:34:35 AM
I'd spend $100 on charcoal and practice, practice, practice.
Post by: jhagestad on February 19, 2020, 07:06:40 AM
An understanding wife

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Truth.
Post by: KettleMaster on February 20, 2020, 06:54:30 PM
All the items mentioned are good but a Rotissere is something that cant be dublicated.I have done Whole Chicken Turkey Beef/Pork Roasts so far...enjoy your Kettle and keep experimenting & reaserching!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: PotsieWeber on February 21, 2020, 05:06:29 AM
I agree.  You can make a "poortex".  It seems like you can get close to a slow n' sear using baskets (or making the bigger basket).  If you want to add water, you can set metal container with water in it next to the basket.

If you want to do a CHEAP rotisserie, do a search & you'll find where one of our members grabbed a cheap black kettle, drilled a hole hear the top of the bowl on one side, ground a slot on the other, & basically found a cheap rotisserie rod, motor & bracket (like for an old gasser).  I'm sure most could easily find a way to block the holes so they could still use it for other things.  If you are interested in that & can't find it easily, let me know & I can probably find a thread or two about it reasonably easily.

All the items mentioned are good but a Rotissere is something that cant be dublicated.I have done Whole Chicken Turkey Beef/Pork Roasts so far...enjoy your Kettle and keep experimenting & reaserching!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: Year-Round on February 21, 2020, 03:08:02 PM
One more + for the rotisserie.  Pork loin is really good on it.  The 2.0 sns is on sale this weekend, $90.