Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Pizza Forum => Topic started by: bamakettles on December 11, 2019, 07:11:08 AM

Title: KettlePizza Melted My Damper Handle!
Post by: bamakettles on December 11, 2019, 07:11:08 AM
So, I know - my fault here.  First time using my new weber limited edition grill this past weekend with my birthday present, the KettlePizza attachment.  I followed all directions, lighting the grill and adding wood.  Went inside to get the pizzas and my plastic damper handle melted and got black plastic on my lid which will not come off. 

Any ideas on how to remove this black mess and restore my beautiful red kettle lid?

At least the pizzas turned out good.
Title: Re: KettlePizza Melted My Damper Handle!
Post by: LightningBoldtz on December 11, 2019, 08:29:15 AM
This is why most who have a kettle pizza put is on a crapper grill.  kettles are not made for those temps
Post by: Dc_smoke309 on December 11, 2019, 09:20:08 AM
Oh man. That right there would spoil the fun .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: HoosierKettle on December 11, 2019, 09:51:33 AM
Nice nothing wrong with a few battle scars and the damper handle isn’t necessary.

You can probably follow the restore guides on this website. Basically just razor scrape the plastic off. I’m guessing that will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: bamakettles on December 11, 2019, 10:44:38 AM
Thanks guys for the advice.  I have a spare Limited Edition unit in my home office...... I guess this one may end up being the "crapper grill"!
Post by: jhagestad on December 12, 2019, 08:19:33 AM
It can be restored - nothing's impossible! Razor scrapper would be my suggestion too - just take your time and be careful not to gouge the porcelain. for finishing, I saw that someone else had suggested using #000 steel wool
Post by: 56MPG on December 12, 2019, 08:29:18 AM
Get #0000 wool, (four zeros) Anything less can leave a mark.

Marty
Post by: GrillGuyMosier on December 12, 2019, 09:13:17 AM
I know first hand that a razor blade will remove the melted plastic off the kettle.

So there I was, 3 hours from home camping, 3 labor days ago. I got the kettle pizza all going. Walk back a few minutes later and the damper handle had melted off. Crazy thing was my temp gauge only said 200...... I found out the temp hit 200 for the second time, she was crazy hot! I also ruined the thermometer lol
Post by: bamakettles on December 12, 2019, 10:31:31 AM
I know first hand that a razor blade will remove the melted plastic off the kettle.

So there I was, 3 hours from home camping, 3 labor days ago. I got the kettle pizza all going. Walk back a few minutes later and the damper handle had melted off. Crazy thing was my temp gauge only said 200...... I found out the temp hit 200 for the second time, she was crazy hot! I also ruined the thermometer lol

Strange feeling to see that gunk all over and the handle on the ground for sure.  After trying with a razor knife which unfortunately didn't do much I decided to try automotive rubbing compound and a damp applicator.  My arm feels like it's going to fall off, but the lid is back to new condition!  It was much like cleaning a glass cook top.... took about 45 minutes but once I saw it working I didn't stop!
Post by: bamakettles on December 12, 2019, 10:32:29 AM
After......

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: jacko1962 on January 31, 2020, 06:15:48 AM
I use a designated curb find with no master touch installed for my kettle pizza.
Post by: davekkk on January 31, 2020, 06:31:44 AM
Doesnt look like there is any chipping so thats a plus! Another vote for a crapper grill just for high temp stuff. I see them often in the spring here in Wi.
Post by: bamakettles on January 31, 2020, 06:33:32 AM
I use a designated curb find with no master touch installed for my kettle pizza.

Yeah, that's a good idea.  I don't make pizza very often so this limited edition red that cost me $65 new shipped works well.  My 2006 is set up for smoking - lid gasket, cable gland for probes, lid hinge and such.  I never want to get it up over 350F so I don't damage anything.  And I'm definitely not making pizza on my 1975.....Still looking at and considering the spider grills pellet adapter, just don't want to have to store it when not in use.
Post by: jacko1962 on January 31, 2020, 06:37:42 AM
@bamakettles How many pellets would one go through verus chuncks of wood and charcoal for a 10 hour cook? That what has me on the fence for any pellet cookers.
Post by: bamakettles on January 31, 2020, 06:49:12 AM
@bamakettles How many pellets would one go through verus chuncks of wood and charcoal for a 10 hour cook? That what has me on the fence for any pellet cookers.

Not sure and I've never cooked on a pellet grill before, just watched on YouTube.  I saw one yesterday that was a really good example and he showed details and pellet usage.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Od8WymVjk

I'm a gadget guy and that's what draws me to it.  But I like the challenge of maintaining cook temps with charcoal and wood too..... That's kinda the fun of it for me.  So loading pellets and turning a knob would probably bore me.  : )
Post by: jacko1962 on January 31, 2020, 07:55:44 AM
Yea I hear ya. Need to tell the wife need to be outside maintaining the temperature of the kettle and cocktails.
Post by: Cabernet on May 22, 2020, 07:11:36 AM
I know this is an old post and it looks like the lid is fixed. If this happens to anybody in the future try this to get rid of the melted plastic , flip the lid upside down and fill it with ice. Let it sit for a while until both the lid and the plastic are cold. Then gently try to pry off the plastic  You may need to sit the plastic in a bucket of ice as well. I have never removed plastic from a lid but had to remove burnt plastic from a piece of metal before and that how I did it .
 Cheers
Post by: bamakettles on May 22, 2020, 07:23:34 AM
Yeah, looking back I could probably have removed the plastic with a straight razor scraper.  I've done a bit of restoring since then and learned just how strong the porcelain enamel is.  The weathered warrior I picked up earlier this year has paint over spray on it which was easily removed with a razor scraper.  Interesting idea with the ice.  Thanks!
Post by: bbqking01 on May 22, 2020, 10:24:55 AM

Not sure and I've never cooked on a pellet grill before, just watched on YouTube.  I saw one yesterday that was a really good example and he showed details and pellet usage.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Od8WymVjk

I'm a gadget guy and that's what draws me to it.  But I like the challenge of maintaining cook temps with charcoal and wood too..... That's kinda the fun of it for me.  So loading pellets and turning a knob would probably bore me.  : )
I have the EX6 and it’s very nice to be able to pay more attention to the food temps and monitoring the food. Not like I dont already. My first cook was a ten hour cook and went through most of a bag of pellets. Seems now I can do 4-5 hour on a quarter bag.

Post by: bamakettles on May 22, 2020, 10:53:38 AM
...Cool, glad you're still liking the pellet grill.  I just can't get into them..... too many other options on my deck I guess.  Been enjoying cooking on the '78 Brownie lately.  Planning an 11lb pork shoulder on the WSM 22 sometime this weekend.
Post by: walley_eye on July 13, 2020, 01:57:13 PM
I like the ice water idea and I was also thinking to bring it up to hot temp(almost to what melted it) and light ise a razor blade to scrape off the melting plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk