Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Mods, Tables and Customs => Topic started by: Walchit on November 17, 2019, 10:45:59 PM

Title: Genesis rotisseri spit mod.
Post by: Walchit on November 17, 2019, 10:45:59 PM
@Mr.CPHo hooked me up with a spit, and suggested that I get a spit collar. I was impatient, so I just took tje grinder and a file to it. It seemed like it worked pretty good.

I thought I could get away with not tying the legs, but I started hearing something in the kettle, and one leg had came loose and it kicked one charcoal basket over. I ended up folding them over the spit and stabbing another spit fork on there to hold them. Invited a couple friends over for dinner and they seemed to really like it.

I might spin a pork loin or something tomorrow I enjoyed it so much
Title: Re: Genesis rotisseri spit mod.
Post by: JEBIV on November 18, 2019, 04:28:52 AM
that looks very tasty, nice job on the grinder and file work!
Post by: jhagestad on November 18, 2019, 06:26:57 AM
Great story - I bet you were like "what the...." when you heard that noise coming from the kettle! Still looks incredible!
Post by: Walchit on November 18, 2019, 04:54:46 PM
Yeah, I definately knew there shouldn't be metal banging up against the side of the kettle! Lol
I had 2 oranges and a sliced up apple stuffed in its cavity, and they all fell out, and landed in the gravy pan. But the gravy didnt taste like fruit at all, Idk why. I figured the grinder mod may come in useful for someone in the future. I had passed on a genesis spit and motor before because I didnt think it would work.

I think I'm gonna grab a pork loin to try out tomorrow. I found an eye of round roast once, and it was really good, hopefully I will see one of those sometime soon too.

I am super happy with the roti. I got 2 rings, and the motor and forks with my ssp for 40 bucks. And I couldnt squeeze any pay pal info out of mr.CPHo, so I'm in this thing for less than free if you ask me. I want to get the other ring going now.
Post by: jhagestad on November 19, 2019, 05:21:38 AM
I'm sure you're not the first person to have a funny story on a rotisserie fail (and you won't be the last)! 
Post by: Mr.CPHo on November 19, 2019, 05:58:33 AM
Glad you’re enjoying your new toy.  Spinning a roti is so much fun and mesmerizing.

A couple of suggestions from my own learning curve using a roti, trust me on trussing - you’ll want to purchase a lot of twine and practice trussing poultry and loins.  The counterweight should be placed behind the wooden handle and between the hanging hook (unscrew the hook).  I use halved onions and lemons in poultry cavities. 

Since you have another roti ring, consider installing a grate and using it for elevated direct cooking.  A second ring is also nice to have for placing your loaded spit and balancing the counterweight, and as a place to rest your meats after cooking.

Most importantly, have fun and post pics. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: Walchit on November 19, 2019, 06:17:22 AM
I really do appreciate it! I tried to send you a video, but Idk if you got it. I usually use this char-griller kettle for elevated cooking, and it works really nice. Especially on poppers and pork loin. I wanna do a loin really bad on the roti now. You tie up your loins with twine too? I guess I better buy some twine.

Oh and I had no idea how the counterweight was supposed to work lol. It seemed to ride pretty well, I may have gotten lucky when I put the bird on the spit though.
Post by: Walchit on November 19, 2019, 06:19:58 AM
Oh and what is the weird little washer that is right up next to the wood handle?
Post by: HoosierKettle on November 19, 2019, 06:27:37 AM

Glad you’re enjoying your new toy.  Spinning a roti is so much fun and mesmerizing.

A couple of suggestions from my own learning curve using a roti, trust me on trussing - you’ll want to purchase a lot of twine and practice trussing poultry and loins.  The counterweight should be placed behind the wooden handle and between the hanging hook (unscrew the hook).  I use halved onions and lemons in poultry cavities. 

Since you have another roti ring, consider installing a grate and using it for elevated direct cooking.  A second ring is also nice to have for placing your loaded spit and balancing the counterweight, and as a place to rest your meats after cooking.

Most importantly, have fun and post pics. 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)

I agree on the trussing. I can finally do it without watching a video lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: Walchit on November 19, 2019, 07:24:15 AM
I need to do some research. I just kinda stabbed the turkey on there and stuck it on the grill lol
Post by: Cellar2ful on November 19, 2019, 02:09:41 PM

It's really pretty simple once you've done it a couple of times. There are probably many different methods but I learned to truss and spit a turkey watching this YouTube video. It's also where I learned what a Surgeon's Knot was.  Makes it so much easier when tying the string to plump the breast.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcLBRE3CdA4

Post by: Walchit on November 23, 2019, 04:22:18 PM
I didn't watch any videos, I'm sure a surgeon's knot would have helped. But this was probably the best loin I've ever had. I put a little apple juice water and a couple drops of hot sauce in the pan. Then took that afterwards and stirred butter into it. I think I learned that here. I used some of the drippings and apple juice to baste it when I noticed a couple spots getting dry.

Post by: GrillGiant on November 24, 2019, 08:34:17 AM
Looks grate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Walchit on November 24, 2019, 06:21:19 PM
Thanks! They are forecasting snow for thanksgiving, but I already planned to take a couple grills to my moms and spin some stuff. Guess I will have to dig out the insulated pants.
Post by: jhagestad on November 25, 2019, 05:40:31 AM
I wish I could do a roast for Thanksgiving, but cooking is everything to my MIL (and she's an awesome cook), so even though we're hosting, she's cooking the bird. Maybe one day!
Post by: Walchit on November 25, 2019, 08:42:48 PM
Just do a prime rib or something to go with it!

So shout out to @pancho2017 for grabbing this char-broil spit and motor for me. It doesnt spin quite as smoothly as the weber brand one, but these chickens came out pretty good. Now to stand in the snow Thursday and fire up 2 rotis!
Post by: jhagestad on November 27, 2019, 05:12:32 AM
Just do a prime rib or something to go with it!

Trust me - nothing would make me happier! It's purely MIL politics, and I've learned over the years that this particular battle isn't worth fighting. The good news is I'll definitely be enjoying myself watching football with the fam and a couple of cocktails.
Post by: Walchit on November 27, 2019, 01:15:47 PM
I hear ya!
Post by: Walchit on November 30, 2019, 06:39:29 AM
My phone was being weird, and I was behind schedule so I didnt get many pics. Had to take the ribs off the prime rib and tie it more round. It was still a little off balance but cooked pretty good. Maybe a little more medium than I wanted. Set up a little shanty to stand under at my moms, and hauled some grills over. Had to move the black one over to the left and take that tarp down cause we were getting smoked out.
Post by: HoosierKettle on November 30, 2019, 08:07:42 AM
Cool thread and awesome looking feast. Nice work!

It all looks amazing. I really want to try that pork loin.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: jhagestad on December 02, 2019, 05:36:33 AM
What a spread! Awesome!!