Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: Familyman on October 31, 2019, 12:19:39 PM

Title: Lets talk Turkey - rubs, spices, herbs, etc
Post by: Familyman on October 31, 2019, 12:19:39 PM
For the first time, I am making Turkey for the big family meal (~20 people).  This Saturday I plan to do a trial run.  I am looking into experimenting a bit.

I plan to use my 26" Weber to do the job.  I plan on grilling the wings, thighs, drumsticks, and breasts separately.  For smoke I plan on one chunk of apple wood for a little bit, but not too much smoke.  I usually like dry brining chicken with salt 24+ before hand.  But I may try some wet brining too. 

For those who have done Turkey, what do you like to do?  What flavors, hers, spics, do you like to add to Turkey?
Title: Re: Lets talk Turkey - rubs, spices, herbs, etc
Post by: View to a Grill on October 31, 2019, 02:16:57 PM
I love doing turkey on the Kettle, I use a 26 myself having all that Realestate to grill on is very nice.  Dry brine in the refrigerator is good but on Thanksgiving or Christmas I go all out with the traditional wet brine over night.  I do have a recipe for the wet brine on my you tube channel 'View to a grill' (shameless self promotion)... at the Kroger I shop at they have a poultry fresh herm mix in the produce department... it has rosemary, thyme, parsley and sage in the package... perfect to add to your typical salt brine. I can't really get ahold of any apple wood around here in Texas.. well none for free anyway.  there is so much oak and pecan around here I never have to actually buy wood.  Take care brother.

Johnny