Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: michaelmilitello on October 05, 2019, 10:12:20 AM

Title: Might be time to empty the ashes...
Post by: michaelmilitello on October 05, 2019, 10:12:20 AM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191005/4bf407f2b9661975e484be97606e834b.jpg)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Might be time to empty the ashes...
Post by: smokeyjoe on October 05, 2019, 11:13:31 AM
Impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: Bertl on October 06, 2019, 08:52:03 AM
Wow, how long did it take you to fill it up? 1 season or 2?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Title: Might be time to empty the ashes...
Post by: michaelmilitello on October 06, 2019, 09:46:52 AM
Since June 2019[emoji16]

I do a lot of low and slow cooks in weekends.  Usually at least 5 hours of lns cooking.  I’d say I cook on a kettle 5-6 days a week when the weather is warm.  Therefore, lotsa ash.

Post by: Walchit on October 06, 2019, 11:55:47 AM
I need to get one of those for my ash. I've been dumping in my fire pit, so now I'm gonna have to shovel it all out eventually.
Post by: Dc_smoke309 on October 06, 2019, 03:13:07 PM

I need to get one of those for my ash. I've been dumping in my fire pit, so now I'm gonna have to shovel it all out eventually.

Yes..... Been there . It’s. pain in the ass .

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: hawgheaven on October 07, 2019, 06:10:45 AM
I don't have a whole lot of ash sitting around. First, I use RO lump exclusively, which produces very little ash. When I am done with a cook, and everything has cooled down, I dump them in my trash bag. Done. :-)
Post by: jhagestad on October 07, 2019, 06:36:04 AM
I'm sure our local garbage men hate me with the occasional ash bomb that results from them dumping our garbage into the truck. If my wife would allow me to dump the ashes into the garden, we'd have a retaining wall.
Post by: Bob BQ on October 07, 2019, 07:28:16 AM
(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/spaceballs-surrounded-ash.jpg)
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on October 07, 2019, 02:18:55 PM
I'm sure our local garbage men hate me with the occasional ash bomb that results from them dumping our garbage into the truck. If my wife would allow me to dump the ashes into the garden, we'd have a retaining wall.
Putting them in your garden would be a big mistake because the potassium hydroxide will make the alkalinity of the soil go way up, then the un-composted grease will get you a fly infestation or gophers stopping by for dinner. If your burning brickettes you'll have even worse results. A few handfuls scattered widely is ok but clumps will do you more harm than good.
Post by: jhagestad on October 08, 2019, 05:51:27 AM
Putting them in your garden would be a big mistake because the potassium hydroxide will make the alkalinity of the soil go way up, then the un-composted grease will get you a fly infestation or gophers stopping by for dinner. If your burning brickettes you'll have even worse results. A few handfuls scattered widely is ok but clumps will do you more harm than good.

Hence why my wife won't allow it.  She's the genius of the family!
Post by: kettlebb on October 08, 2019, 06:07:17 AM
Maybe I’m an idiot but I usually scrape out my bowl and dump it on the back part of our back yard. Then I’ll rake the ash to spread it out a tad. I use all natural briquettes. My grass isn’t dead yet.

Should I get a large metal can to collect in then set it out to the trash? Seems like a lot of management for ash.

Post by: michaelmilitello on October 09, 2019, 05:11:46 PM
My galvanized can came as a result of melting down a plastic trash can (when I thought they were cool...alcohol was involved...bad bad bad)

Post by: jhagestad on October 10, 2019, 06:10:44 AM
My galvanized can came as a result of melting down a plastic trash can (when I thought they were cool...alcohol was involved...bad bad bad)

Oh I've done that before - one morning in a rush to get to church (trying to multi-task), I dumped the ashes from our fire pit into the garbage bin. The just-ever-so-smoldering embers from caught fire by lunchtime.  Luckily, our neighbor's daughter happened to see the flames running up through the hole it made in the bottom corner and got our attention to put it out.  Scary stuff for sure - I'm more patient now!
Post by: HoosierKettle on October 10, 2019, 07:00:00 AM
I do exactly as Michael does. Is yours a 3 gallon?  I have a 3 gallon with lid. I highly recommend it if your like me and do not have a spot to dump it. It’s a safe non flammable container to store spent ashes and the lid snuffs out any remaining embers. After it’s full and none have been added for a few days, I dump it in a trash bag and throw away. It’s very easy and you will never have to worry about starting a fire in your trash can.

Also if you need to dump hot ashes for whatever reason, you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: Cellar2ful on October 10, 2019, 07:28:29 AM
Since @michaelmilitello brought it up, this is a good time to remind members of the dangers of disposing of BBQ ash.  Hot embers can remain dormant in those ashes for many hours and even overnight. Here are two incidents that I personally have witnessed that luckily did not end with the loss of life.   

I only posted this thread so that possibly folks will think twice when storing their recently used grill or when disposing of the ashes from their grills.  I have witnessed two incidents where neighbors of mine caused fires due to disposing of their charcoal BBQ ashes.  One was lucky, the other not so much. One incident was about 30 years ago with my then next door neighbor at my previous house.  It was about 10 PM and I saw the orange glow of a fire through my bathroom window.  I was able to alert them to the fire and we extinguished the flames with our garden hoses. His plastic garbage can and part of his wooden porch were the only damage.  The second incident was more recent and sadly the results were much worse.  A neighbor up the street from me dumped his BBQ ashes in the green recycle container.  It caught fire, traveled up the side of his house and spread to tall juniper trees on the side of his house. The fire quickly melted the plastic window frame of his atrium window and allowed the fire to enter the house. Luckily, all 5 sleeping occupants and 1 dog in the home were able to escape without injury.  His house suffered major fire, smoke and water damage ($300,000) which took over a year to repair.

Here is a link to my post from 2017 of a fire resulting from storing a hot Weber BBQ  -  http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/index.php?topic=32013.0
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on October 12, 2019, 09:41:56 AM
Maybe I’m an idiot but I usually scrape out my bowl and dump it on the back part of our back yard. Then I’ll rake the ash to spread it out a tad. I use all natural briquettes. My grass isn’t dead yet.

Should I get a large metal can to collect in then set it out to the trash? Seems like a lot of management for ash.

Grass is easy to grow....it'll even grow when/where you dont want it to, dont even have to water it. Garden veggys can be alot more sensitive since they take up so much water and nutrients to grow food and/or flowers.