Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Mods, Tables and Customs => Topic started by: KP on September 28, 2019, 09:38:43 AM

Title: 3D printed damper handle
Post by: KP on September 28, 2019, 09:38:43 AM
3D printed, painted and installed a new handle for the damper. I'm going to need to see how well it holds up in the heat and elements. If it holds up I will start making them available for WKC members to purchase.
Title: Re: 3D printed damper handle
Post by: Bob BQ on September 28, 2019, 05:42:07 PM
Cool!
Post by: tvt on September 28, 2019, 09:26:49 PM
Pretty neat how you’re using a 3D printer to make stuff for your webers. I’ve always wanted to tinker with a 3D printer.

Do you know if the filament is able to withstand high temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: KP on September 29, 2019, 03:47:48 AM
I fired up the vortex yesterday and the lid thermometer was over 500 degrees, there was a little bit of softening of the plastic where it was in contact with a metal washer but nothing too bad. I am going to add a silicon or rubber washer between any metal and handle and I think it will hold up just fine.
Post by: Walchit on September 29, 2019, 03:27:02 PM
Maybe try an aluminum washer too, or an aluminum and a silicon.
Post by: jhagestad on October 02, 2019, 07:14:43 AM
Those look tight! Can't wait to see how the testing turns out!
Post by: KP on October 12, 2019, 03:55:25 AM
The ones I have tested held up pretty well, and I've since added a nylon washer that was purchased from HD and that should even reduce the heat transfer even more.

I have a couple extra handles that I've made. I'll be more than happy to send them to WKC members to test. Just PM me your address and I'll ship it out to you, includes all hardware, you just need to drill a hole on the damper to install.
Post by: Al b que on October 12, 2019, 05:19:24 AM
Pm sent

Sent from my VS988 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: KP on October 12, 2019, 06:42:19 AM
One left
Post by: KP on October 14, 2019, 06:08:43 PM
All gone....for now
Post by: jhagestad on October 15, 2019, 06:12:39 AM
I'm already ready to buy!
Post by: Al b que on October 16, 2019, 02:37:41 AM
Thanks KP package arrived can't wait to give it a test burn. Looks awesome thanks again.

Sent from my VS988 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: KP on October 19, 2019, 01:17:08 PM
Made a new handle design and color
Post by: jhagestad on October 21, 2019, 05:44:30 AM
The bas-relief style logo looks sweet - nice work!
Post by: Red_5_Wrangler on October 21, 2019, 11:23:57 AM
Got mine this weekend, will get it installed soon.
Post by: jhagestad on October 22, 2019, 05:16:27 AM
Just installed mine yesterday and did a reverse-sear ribeye. The new handle worked great with no heat transfer that I could feel. Will be doing a low-n-slow this weekend and continuing the testing! Thanks again @KP!
Post by: KP on October 22, 2019, 01:39:42 PM
Nice! Thanks for the update. Keep me posted with the longer cooks.
Post by: JEBIV on October 22, 2019, 02:04:22 PM
Wicked cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post by: Walchit on November 01, 2019, 01:43:12 PM
Yeah looks factory
Post by: cookingjnj on November 01, 2019, 01:48:25 PM
I have to echo everyone else KP.  Those look awesome!
Post by: 29tx on November 03, 2019, 11:52:19 AM
Those look great, if you decide to sell them I'd be in for one!
Post by: jhagestad on November 04, 2019, 05:36:15 AM
UPDATE: Slow cook held up perfectly - after it snowed, we had a thaw so the handle loosened from the cold/hot change, but nothing I couldn't easily tighten down again.  No cracking or issues with heat transfer while cooking. Will be doing another reverse sear tonight with the bro-n-sear, so I'm hoping to get the temps up there towards the end.  So far so good!
Post by: FuriousHobbit on November 04, 2019, 06:06:14 AM
....bro-n-sear...

I don't know if that was on purpose or not, but I like it! HAHA
Post by: jhagestad on November 04, 2019, 06:22:39 AM
....bro-n-sear...

I don't know if that was on purpose or not, but I like it! HAHA

I wish I had made that up, but it's a term I learned on this forum!
Post by: KP on November 07, 2019, 02:46:15 AM
Thanks for testing updates jhagestad! I did notice some softening of the handle at really high temps (>500F) but nothing that would cause it to completely deform and fall off, but it got warm enough that mine fused to the rubber washer. It now one solid piece with the washer stuck  to it but it still works and looks fine.

I might print a small batch this weekend and sell them at cost. 3D printing is still a very slow process, it takes about an hour to 3D print each handle. Painting them with several coats of paint and drying in between takes a couple of days at least. The material cost is not much, less than $1 for the washers and mounting hardware, but mainly time consuming.

What do WKC members think is a fair price? The handles can also be customized by adding initials or other short text to it. That just requires some tinkering with the CAD program.
Post by: jhagestad on November 07, 2019, 06:46:38 AM
My pleasure! My buddy kept looking at the handle and asked where I got it. He couldn't believe someone made it themselves, so you've got interest outside the forum already!  Check your PMs - thx!
Post by: ReanimatedRobot on November 08, 2019, 01:42:10 PM
I would think that at a price point of $10 to $20 you might have a fair amount of interest.  I would charge more for custom prints.  While everyone here appreciates you trying to keep the price point low don't short change yourself. 

After all with every handle you are doing that is putting wear and tear on your machine and not allowing you to use it on other projects.  I would also avoid doing too many colors to make it easy on yourself.  That way you can paint several at a time.  Even better would be if you can just use a material that is already colored to save yourself some time and skip a step. 

I doubt you will make a huge killing, but if it paid for a nicer 3D printer or helped your kettle habit it would make me a fairly happy camper if I could run the machine without too much trouble. 
Thanks for testing updates jhagestad! I did notice some softening of the handle at really high temps (>500F) but nothing that would cause it to completely deform and fall off, but it got warm enough that mine fused to the rubber washer. It now one solid piece with the washer stuck  to it but it still works and looks fine.

I might print a small batch this weekend and sell them at cost. 3D printing is still a very slow process, it takes about an hour to 3D print each handle. Painting them with several coats of paint and drying in between takes a couple of days at least. The material cost is not much, less than $1 for the washers and mounting hardware, but mainly time consuming.

What do WKC members think is a fair price? The handles can also be customized by adding initials or other short text to it. That just requires some tinkering with the CAD program.

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: KP on November 10, 2019, 04:16:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. After some consideration I think I'm going to price the handles at  $10 each or $15 for a pair. The price includes shipping the handles will come with all the necessary hardware to mount. I will have a dozen or so available in the next few days (today is Sun 11/10). I just ran out of bolts and also want to wait a few days for the paint to fully cure.

Please be aware that these are 3D printed and spray painted by hand and so there will be minor imperfections such as tiny pits/bumps and print lines from the 3D printing process. The handles are given 3 coats of paint and a gloss clear coat for extra durability. They are available in gloss black or red.

PM me if interested with quantity,  paypal email and shipping address, and I will sent a payment request through PayPal.
Post by: 29tx on November 10, 2019, 01:23:24 PM
I don't know what material you are using to 3d print, but have you looked into acetone vapor smoothing to help with the imperfections?
Post by: KP on November 10, 2019, 01:50:09 PM
I don't know what material you are using to 3d print, but have you looked into acetone vapor smoothing to help with the imperfections?

I use PLA,  acetone vapor only works with ABS. The 3 coats of paint and a clear coat eliminates most of the print artifact and also adds durability. I currently have a handful that are ready to go. PM me with quantity, paypal email, and shipping address and I'll get them out to you ASAP. Thanks.
Post by: jhagestad on November 11, 2019, 07:56:54 AM
PM sent!
Post by: KP on November 14, 2019, 02:40:33 AM
Thank you to those that ordered, you should be receiving them shortly. Meanwhile, I still have two more each of red and black handles ready to ship. I'll have a few more ready this weekend when I track down some more bolts for the remaining ones.
Post by: jhagestad on November 18, 2019, 06:36:45 AM
Love the red! We also installed one on my buddy's kettle this past weekend.
Post by: KP on November 18, 2019, 12:45:40 PM
Thanks for posting the photo, glad you liked it. I’m working on a new design now, it will have the kettle logo instead of “Weber”, so far all have been fails.
Post by: jhagestad on November 19, 2019, 05:16:36 AM
If you really want to blow people's minds, do the kettle logo that has a 3D printed handle on it! Although you'd probably have to travel to the quantum realm in order to get that level of detail.
Post by: KP on December 02, 2019, 12:57:34 PM
I've started making 3D printed ornaments for the holiday season. Here's one for the Weber Kettle enthusiast. It is approximately 3 1/2 x 2 x 1/4 inch inch. Price is $6.99 each which includes shipping and your choice of the following colors - black, red, green, yellow, blue, white.

I can also add some custom text for $2 more. If interested, PM me with your order and I should be able to get them out within a couple of days. Thanks.
Post by: jacko1962 on December 05, 2019, 07:40:33 AM
You wouldn't want to send out the print file would you?
Post by: KP on December 05, 2019, 06:17:42 PM
You wouldn't want to send out the print file would you?

Happy to share. Here's the link to the file

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4024985

Post by: jacko1962 on December 06, 2019, 11:26:48 AM
@KP . Thanks a bunch. Going to have the students fool around with the file and printer. Last year they designed me a replacement knob for an 1985 Black GA with wood handles. I will post when they finish.
Post by: KP on December 11, 2019, 02:26:45 PM
Happy Holiday and Merry Grilling WKC members!
Post by: jhagestad on December 17, 2019, 08:10:50 AM
They look great, KP! Thanks for taking the time and effort to make these! Money well spent!
Post by: KP on December 17, 2019, 04:09:02 PM
They look great, KP! Thanks for taking the time and effort to make these! Money well spent!

My pleasure! Thanks for posting the photos.
Post by: Red_5_Wrangler on December 27, 2019, 04:59:31 PM
Took me a bit to decide which grill to apply it to but while the smoke performer was nice and hot I pulled on the damper handle and it slid off... That was when I decided it was this grill that was getting the new damper handle.

I added the red paint to match my rogue one themed ssp performer.

Worked great! Thanks
@KP

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)
Post by: KP on December 30, 2019, 04:47:59 AM
Took me a bit to decide which grill to apply it to but while the smoke performer was nice and hot I pulled on the damper handle and it slid off... That was when I decided it was this grill that was getting the new damper handle.

I added the red paint to match my rogue one themed ssp performer.

Worked great! Thanks
@KP

Sent from my SM-G965U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Thank you. Your setup looks great.
Post by: bamakettles on January 02, 2020, 05:40:05 PM
Very nice handle!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: KP on June 07, 2020, 01:02:23 PM
I have 6 newly made damper handle for sale. These are the last 6 that I will be making in this design. $10 each plus $3 for shipping. Working on a new design that should be ready in a couple of weeks of so. These would make a nice gift for father's day.
Only 6 available in red, so get them while they last. Thanks.