Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: Cellar2ful on September 13, 2018, 02:21:33 PM

Title: Rotisserie Turkey
Post by: Cellar2ful on September 13, 2018, 02:21:33 PM
If you haven't spun a turkey on the rotisserie yet for Thanksgiving, now is a good time to think about a practice run.  We had friends over Sunday for dinner.  This one was a 14.25 lb bird. Took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Rested for 45 minutes before carving.   We have had two turkey dinners in addition to Sunday nights meal.  Froze what was left for an additional meal or sandwiches.  Made turkey soup with the carcass yesterday.   

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2018/09/13/DSC06643.jpg)
Title: Re: Rotisserie Turkey
Post by: jcnaz on September 13, 2018, 02:48:05 PM
That one looks great!
I will have to finally try to do that. How much charcoal in each basket?
How many times did you add charcoal?
Post by: Cellar2ful on September 13, 2018, 03:23:58 PM
That one looks great!

I start with 25 lit briquettes in each basket adding two small chunks of apple wood when the bird goes on.  Add 9 unlit briquettes to each side every hour. For cooking time, figure 11 minutes per each pound of turkey.  This bird was 14.25 lbs and took 2 hours and 15 minutes. I pulled it when the breast temp reached 157 degrees. That is the done temp recommend by Thermaworks, maker of the Thermapen. Let it rest for 40 minutes and the breast temp climbed to 167 degrees.
Post by: jd on September 13, 2018, 04:22:54 PM
nice job, looks really good
Post by: RottiGuy on September 13, 2018, 04:49:03 PM
Look's so good!!!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: Grillagin on September 13, 2018, 09:27:10 PM
Looks awesome!  It's inspiring me to do a turkey breast tomorrow night.  I have a hankering for some sandwiches.
Post by: foshizzle on September 13, 2018, 11:39:35 PM

That one looks great!

I start with 25 lit briquettes in each basket adding two small chunks of apple wood when the bird goes on.  Add 9 unlit briquettes to each side every hour. For cooking time, figure 11 minutes per each pound of turkey.  This bird was 14.25 lbs and took 2 hours and 15 minutes. I pulled it when the breast temp reached 157 degrees. That is the done temp recommend by Thermaworks, maker of the Thermapen. Let it rest for 40 minutes and the breast temp climbed to 167 degrees.

Looks really good. Was the bird cooked the way you like it?  Would you change anything above for the next turkey? 

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: MacEggs on September 14, 2018, 07:07:02 AM

Looks fantastic, Jim!
I agree with doing a practice run, especially if it's the first time doing it.
My first roti turkey was this past Easter.  It was an 11 pounder that I had brined, then spun, and it was unreal.
I hope to spin one for our Canadian Thanksgiving in a few weeks.  Thanks for sharing.
Post by: Cellar2ful on September 14, 2018, 07:27:54 AM
@foshizzle - Wouldn't change a thing.  Came out perfect.  I spin turkeys several times a year because you can't have enough turkey sandwiches.   I got them dialed in pretty good now.

The charcoal basket placement is a trick I picked up from someone here on the Forum. Wish I could remember who so I could give them props.  Always put the dark meat (legs and thighs) towards the baskets.  They can tolerate the higher temperature.  Keeping the breast away from the coals keeps the breast meat from drying out.
Post by: DellJones on September 14, 2018, 09:35:30 AM
Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: foshizzle on September 15, 2018, 04:37:00 AM
Thanks a lot Cellar2ful for the detailed cook. Gonna give that a try.  Love chickens but the turkeys have been a little more of a challenge to get the breast cooked just right. The basket setup looks like the key.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Rotisserie Turkey
Post by: HoosierKettle on September 15, 2018, 06:55:45 AM
Beautiful looking bird as usual!

Post by: Cellar2ful on November 02, 2019, 07:36:11 AM

Thanksgiving being just around the corner figured it was a good time to bump this thread.  If you've never cooked a turkey on a Weber, now's the time to get out there and make a trial run.
Post by: HoosierKettle on November 02, 2019, 08:34:10 AM
[emoji106] love this method. Always great results. I usually need to use more charcoal then recommended but I’m sure that can vary depending on location and type of charcoal.

Post by: jimz on November 02, 2019, 09:01:25 AM
Ive done them 3 years in a row and last year was a 20LB on the 26" kettle. I put a tin full of veggies and chicken stock under the bird as it spins. Makes the best gravy!!
I have found this method to be pretty problem free. Great way to do a holiday bird.
Post by: Walchit on November 02, 2019, 04:31:32 PM
I gotta get a spit! Couldnt find it anywhere at the estate sale I got the roti rings at. I have a motor, and the little skewer parts, just not the spit
Post by: 1buckie on November 03, 2019, 07:16:32 AM
@Walchit

I'm in the exact same boat: ring, but no spit, well not exact....no motor or clamping times either....

Wondering about what would fit an older Weber ring &be strong  enough to  pull a turkey?

This one of Jim's looks fabulous &thanks for the extra tips& links, man.....
enoughturkey?
Title: Re: How large a turkey can I rotisserie on a 22" kettle with std Weber ring?
Post by: RotoWok on November 03, 2019, 03:00:22 PM
I'm comfortable with 16 lbs, wondering if I can go to 18?  Thanks!
Post by: View to a Grill on November 03, 2019, 08:45:18 PM
OMG that loos so good!
Post by: jhagestad on November 04, 2019, 06:16:23 AM
Dude - it's 9:15AM and I'm starving now. Looks awesome!
Post by: LiquidOcelot on November 12, 2019, 08:12:35 AM
@foshizzle - Wouldn't change a thing.  Came out perfect.  I spin turkeys several times a year because you can't have enough turkey sandwiches.   I got them dialed in pretty good now.

The charcoal basket placement is a trick I picked up from someone here on the Forum. Wish I could remember who so I could give them props.  Always put the dark meat (legs and thighs) towards the baskets.  They can tolerate the higher temperature.  Keeping the breast away from the coals keeps the breast meat from drying out.
Hey Jim do you herb butter under the skin or no? Any rub or anything? Doing my first whole bird this year. Gonna set the baskets up how you have it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: jd on November 12, 2019, 09:19:34 AM
nice looking bird,nice job and thanks for sharing  your info
Post by: Cellar2ful on November 12, 2019, 09:50:44 AM

@LiquidOcelot

I use Dean & Delucca poultry rub under the skin Matt. It's all spices, no salt.  I baste the outside of the skin with melted butter using a silicone culinary brush (before loading the bird on the grill).  Unfortunately, Dean and Delucca went out of business a few months ago.  Herbs de Provence could probably be used as a rub and is readily available just about anywhere.
Post by: Walchit on November 17, 2019, 02:49:43 PM
@Mr.CPHo sent me a spit!

Post by: noreaster on November 17, 2019, 06:04:11 PM
Thx for the inspiration

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: Walchit on November 17, 2019, 11:04:37 PM
Nice!
Post by: FuriousHobbit on November 18, 2019, 05:21:20 AM
Man so disappointed. We were going to spin a practice turkey this past weekend - Wife went to the grocery store on Saturday and said they didn't have much, and what they did have was still half frozen. So she got some steaks instead. I think that's the first time I was ever disappointed at cooking steaks haha.
Post by: Walchit on November 18, 2019, 05:25:59 PM
Mine was frozen, I let it sit out for a little bit, then put it in the chill for a few days.
Post by: tvt on November 19, 2019, 12:00:38 PM
Anyone have some tips for nice crispy skin? I’ve spun three turkeys over the years, they always come out very juicy and tasty but skin is not so crispy. I’m thinking of firing up a chimney mid cook to to add more heat for the second half of the cook. Anyone tried that yet to see if it crisps up the skin?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: HoosierKettle on November 19, 2019, 12:31:35 PM

Anyone have some tips for nice crispy skin? I’ve spun three turkeys over the years, they always come out very juicy and tasty but skin is not so crispy. I’m thinking of firing up a chimney mid cook to to add more heat for the second half of the cook. Anyone tried that yet to see if it crisps up the skin?

Deep fry it!

I wouldn’t call my roti turkey skin crispy but it’s still pretty good. You can’t beat deep frying for a truly crispy skin. Cranking the heat up towards the end is a good idea to try. I usually pre light the coals that I add along the way to keep the heat up.

Post by: LiquidOcelot on November 28, 2019, 09:31:33 AM
Gonna do this method today all i have is coshell. So i will see how time and temp are affected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=91018)

Post by: BigEasy on September 13, 2020, 06:24:21 AM
Old thread bump in prep for Thanksgiving.

I’ve never spun one but have fried many. Does anyone use an injected marinade when spinning a bird?
Post by: rams8821@yahoo.com on September 18, 2020, 09:55:58 AM
Looking to do this as well, always deep fried mine.  Any tips not mentioned let us all know!!  Thanks
Post by: Cellar2ful on November 09, 2020, 06:31:35 AM

Bumping this thread for anyone wanting to spin a turkey (or chicken) for Thanksgiving.
Post by: bamakettles on November 09, 2020, 06:50:09 AM

Bumping this thread for anyone wanting to spin a turkey (or chicken) for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for bumping this...I've very interested in trying a practice run and then possibly a Christmas bird.  Do you ever inject or wet brine?  I've been seeing some interesting videos and it seems there are many different methods.
Post by: michaelmilitello on November 09, 2020, 07:48:52 AM
Beautiful bird!  I've been wanting to try a roti turkey.  There's something about a big spinning bird that's so mesmerizing.   I've been doing spatchcock turkey on a 26 and really like the shorter amount of time it takes, though.
Post by: HoosierKettle on November 09, 2020, 07:51:57 AM

Beautiful bird!  I've been wanting to try a roti turkey.  There's something about a big spinning bird that's so mesmerizing.   I've been doing spatchcock turkey on a 26 and really like the shorter amount of time it takes, though.

I spatchcocked last year but I honestly like the roti better.  Both are great. Give it a try.

Post by: Cellar2ful on November 09, 2020, 11:11:40 AM

@bamakettles - I've never brined or injected any of my turkeys.  Unless your buying organic Willie Bird turkeys (or similar) more than likely your bird is already injected during processing.
Post by: bamakettles on November 09, 2020, 11:43:34 AM

@bamakettles - I've never brined or injected any of my turkeys.  Unless your buying organic Willie Bird turkeys (or similar) more than likely your bird is already injected during processing.

Thanks for the info, good to know.
Post by: Stoneage on November 09, 2020, 01:29:06 PM
I do turkey breasts, theres just 2 of us & neither likes dark meat.
I've never brined, but I do baste with a savory wet concoction every 15 minutes.
I've never had a dry bird yet.
Post by: 65Westy on November 23, 2020, 09:14:25 AM
Looking forward to trying this on Thursday.
Post by: SMOKE FREAK on November 23, 2020, 01:41:39 PM
I spun a 12 pounder a couple of years ago but couldn't find anything smaller than 15 pounds this year. We'll see how that works out.
Post by: Stoneage on November 23, 2020, 02:00:25 PM
The biggest thing I've found is you need to balance the very unbalanced turkey breast.
My rotisserie has a sliding weight but its not quite enough. I may try & find a second one just for turkey breasts.
Post by: bladz on November 26, 2020, 04:42:06 AM
  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
@Cellar2ful  Jim, do you monitor the temp inside the grill at all, or just the add 10 briqs every hour no matter what?  If you do, or have checked temps, what temp wound you say the grill is running?

Post by: 65Westy on November 15, 2021, 12:46:49 PM
Looking forward to finally getting to do this for Thanksgiving this year!
Post by: TXFlyGuy on November 17, 2021, 08:08:27 AM
What is the benefit of using the rotisserie vs just cooking it on the grill grate?
I have seen both on YouTube, can't really tell much difference.
Post by: 65Westy on November 17, 2021, 09:15:38 AM
What is the benefit of using the rotisserie vs just cooking it on the grill grate?

My guess is that you would get a more evenly distributed cook with a rotisserie that placing it on a grill.
Post by: JEBIV on November 17, 2021, 10:15:09 AM

My guess is that you would get a more evenly distributed cook with a rotisserie that placing it on a grill.
that and the bird actually bastes itself as it rotates, grate combo !!
Post by: TXFlyGuy on November 18, 2021, 03:23:08 AM

Just curious then as to why the guys I see baste their birds with melted butter as it spins? Is it not self basting?

And how about the Butterball Turkey? Do those work on a kettle? They come in a brine solution from the packaging plant.
Post by: bamakettles on November 18, 2021, 05:35:45 AM

Just curious then as to why the guys I see baste their birds with melted butter as it spins? Is it not self basting?

And how about the Butterball Turkey? Do those work on a kettle? They come in a brine solution from the packaging plant.

I'd say to crisp the skin and give it a good color.  While natural basting is rendered fat and water butter is more like a non-diluted oil.  Fry v/s boil = crispy v/s soggy maybe.  For my rotisserie prime rib roast I baste with a mix of butter, olive oil, rosemary and thyme.  Gives it a wonderful crust.  Can't wait to roti something with all I'm seeing on FB!

And I'm sure a Butterball would be great on a kettle.  I just wouldn't double brine.
Post by: blu082003 on November 18, 2021, 08:15:09 AM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211118/fe8556cfee9802aeab935302c10b97c9.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211118/e20ec91c57ff0ab8a1b0193d11a2cc17.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20211118/70b082ad91523347526cafa685def161.jpg)
Tried a practice turkey last night. Came out really good with nice crispy skin. I used a cb stacker with the deflector that way I could fill the bottom with charcoal. Able to finish the bird without refilling the charcoal. I think I’ll test one more time before the big day.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Stoneage on November 18, 2021, 11:42:15 AM
That looks great.
There's a distinctly different taste & texture to a roti as oppose to smoked or BBQ'd.
I do brine mine overnight & then pat dry I also use a savory baste with chicken & veggie stock (or bullion cubes dissolved in tap water) &  a little olive oil. You must shake to mix immediately before dipping the brush in.
Post by: TXFlyGuy on November 18, 2021, 02:52:44 PM

I'd say to crisp the skin and give it a good color.  While natural basting is rendered fat and water butter is more like a non-diluted oil.  Fry v/s boil = crispy v/s soggy maybe.  For my rotisserie prime rib roast I baste with a mix of butter, olive oil, rosemary and thyme.  Gives it a wonderful crust.  Can't wait to roti something with all I'm seeing on FB!

And I'm sure a Butterball would be great on a kettle.  I just wouldn't double brine.

Here is what the nice people at Butterball say about brining:

https://www.butterball.com/recipes/thanksgiving-brine
Post by: 65Westy on November 30, 2021, 10:28:44 AM
I spun my Thanksgiving Turkey on my Glen Blue 26. It came out great.

I found that i needed more briquettes than i did in the 22 i used last year. I think starting with 25 would be better if you started with 30 on each side. I was barely hitting 250 with just 25 on each side.

I found that adding 13 rather than 9 kept the temp stable at around 350.