Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Pizza Forum => Topic started by: EricD on April 26, 2018, 06:36:34 AM

Title: deep dish help
Post by: EricD on April 26, 2018, 06:36:34 AM
Hey all,
Before I get blasted....I did a search, but most of the pics fell victim to photobucket crap.   and I still had some questions.
I finally got a BS Pizza oven.  Was planning on making a pie tonight.  Then I thought I'd try a deep dish style.  Then I realized my CI skillet won't fit in the BS oven with the handle.  I don't want to cut the handle off this one (mod for another pan sometime).  So, I want to make a Sausage deep dish pizza with the PizzaQue.
I've never done a deep dish style.... What temp should I shoot for on the PizzaQue?   How long should I expect to cook starting with a cold CI pan?
Then ingredients are layered, start with sausage.   Anyone tried a layer of American cheese? or should I stick with Mozz here?  then top with chunky sauce and shredded mozz.
Thanks in advance!
Title: Re: deep dish help
Post by: HoosierKettle on April 26, 2018, 07:00:33 AM
Personally I would use your regular oven even though it might not be as fun. Your results will be great

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: EricD on April 26, 2018, 07:06:48 AM
I thought about using the gasser,(which I consider an oven just outside) but I'd feel bad about not using all the pizza specific 'tools' I have!   lol
Post by: pbe gummi bear on April 26, 2018, 12:39:20 PM
I've had good success with CI deep dish at around 400F. You need to watch out for the radiant heat emminating on the CI as the black surface absorbs a lot of heat over the long cook and your pizza will burn in that area. So you are going for high heat but as indirect as possible
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on April 26, 2018, 01:16:10 PM
I've done one.  Setup my coals on one side and cooked the pizza on the other side.  I rotated the pan a couple times during the cook.  Like gummi said, 400F sounds about right.  I have a Kettle Pizza but don't think I would use that if I did another deep dish.  It's not really going to give you any benefit in my opinion.
Post by: blksabbath on April 27, 2018, 08:20:04 AM
One more for high heat, indirect cook.  You could use your KP, but it would probably be easier without.
Post by: JEBIV on April 27, 2018, 08:34:43 AM
Seems like a 26er with a SNS would be great way to do a CI deep dish, I believe I have been motivated
Post by: EricD on April 27, 2018, 11:10:12 AM
Thanks guys!
Life got in the way and I didn't get to make it last night. So I was going to try it again tonight....now it's raining!  I've decided to do my first deep dish pie in the gasser.  Take copious notes and experiment from there!
Have a great weekend all!!
Post by: Firemunkee on April 27, 2018, 01:17:54 PM
Thanks guys!
Life got in the way and I didn't get to make it last night. So I was going to try it again tonight....now it's raining!  I've decided to do my first deep dish pie in the gasser.  Take copious notes and experiment from there!
Have a great weekend all!!

Looking forward to reading about the results and learning with you!