Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 12:55:03 PM

Title: What color is this MBH?
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 12:55:03 PM
I have a line on this metal bowl handle kettle, but am trying to figure out if it is just a faded black or if it might actually be a grey.

It's kind of far & I'm leaning towards it being a faded black and not a true grey, but am guessing that there are much better experts on here.  Were grey MBH kettles even made?
Title: Re: What color is this MBH?
Post by: varekai on April 04, 2018, 12:57:57 PM
I might go with grey, that would be an almost perfect fade for it to affect down the bottom of the bowl and the leg sockets.  Unless there is issues with the picture in general.
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 01:15:33 PM
Good point.

I had noticed how MUCH fading there was on the bottom, but hadn't considered uniformity.  I have seen some really faded lids in the Midwest, but it seemed like the kettles themselves didn't get hit quite as hard out here (although that might be different in Cali, AZ & whatnot).
Post by: Cellar2ful on April 04, 2018, 01:16:36 PM

I think it's a faded black.  Pretty sure I can see the tips of bowl vent tabs indicating it is a daisy wheel kettle.   The true grey color kettles were only produced with one touch ash sweeps. 
Post by: hawgheaven on April 04, 2018, 01:21:31 PM
Now it's grey, no matter how it started out. 8)
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 01:25:25 PM
It's a MBH (Metal Bowl Handle), which were replaced with wood in '81 and the on-touch didn't come out until '83 (both according to the age guide).

In other words, assuming @Cellar2ful information is correct then it is a just faded black because there would be no true grey kettles prior to 1983 and thus none with metal bowl handles.

I think it's a faded black.  Pretty sure I can see the tips of bowl vent tabs indicating it is a daisy wheel kettle.   The true grey color kettles were only produced with one touch ash sweeps. 
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 01:27:01 PM
True, but an original grey would have been worth the trip.  A faded black, not so much.

Now it's grey, no matter how it started out. 8)
Post by: Kneab on April 04, 2018, 01:27:45 PM
I'm going with faded black.
Similar to this one.
Post by: varekai on April 04, 2018, 01:33:59 PM
True, it IS grey now, and I would have traveled to get it... love my weathered warrior
Post by: Bob BQ on April 04, 2018, 01:35:33 PM

Is The Plainsman, produced in the early ‘60s considered a true gray?  @Craig
Post by: varekai on April 04, 2018, 01:39:17 PM
@PotsieWeber , JUST GO GET THE DAMN THING SO WE KNOW!  and it needs YOU to fix its traingle......LOL
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 01:48:18 PM
I run across faded blacks MUCH closer to home all the time.
Plus his is really only half a grill. (No matching lid).
Plus he wants too much money for a used faded black grill (& not even because he thinks it is rare or old).
If it didn't have the modern plastic wheels, I'd go get it.
Or, if it was a grey. 
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 01:55:48 PM
Damn.  Now @Bob BQ, with his picture, is making me wonder if the wheels were replaced.
I might have to take a trip for a look see.
Maybe he'll trade for a faded black with a lid.
If it is a Plainsman, where the heck am I gonna find a lid?
Now, I've got to research Plainsman.

Is The Plainsman, produced in the early ‘60s considered a true gray?  @Craig
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 01:59:54 PM
Is that your faded black @Kneab?  It looks darker by the leg sockets.  I'm guessing if I go check it out & turn it upside-down it will be somewhat apparent if it is a faded black.

I'm going with faded black.
Similar to this one.
Post by: Kneab on April 04, 2018, 02:19:04 PM
Yup it's mine Potsie.
Inside the leg sockets might be black still. I'll have to check when I empty out the kettle storage if it ever warms up here.[emoji30]
Post by: Cellar2ful on April 04, 2018, 02:38:51 PM

I had eliminated the possibility of it being a Plainsman seeing the plastic wheels and lack of thumbscrews on the leg sockets in the photo.  This is the one I saw in the wild.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2018/01/21/DSC05593.jpg)

@Bob BQ  - Guess technically the Plainsman is a grey fade or grey mist although I have never heard it referred to as such.  Only head it called the Plainsman or "white whale".
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 02:53:43 PM
Ok, I'm back to thinking it is probably just half of a faded black & probably isn't worth the drive.  The picture I posted is one he texted me.  I also noticed the lack of thumbscrews so it would be a 69 at the earliest & that is assuming the wheels were replaced. 

However, I do notice what looks like a color differential along the circumference of the kettle, which makes me wonder.  But, I also see some sort of scratches that you don't typically see on porcelain (on the right on the pic I posted), which makes me wonder if it just grey primer or something over the original black.  I also don't see ANY shine, it kind of looks like flat paint finish.  In another picture, I noticed that at least one handle (the top anyway) appears black & shiny.  So, maybe he set the bowl upside-down to paint it.

I hate asking questions, but I'm going to ask if he painted it.  That's what I'm guessing at this point, but that ring around the circumference kind of bugs me.
Post by: kettlebb on April 04, 2018, 03:05:08 PM

Don’t forget the Gray bar-b-Kettle with user installed daisy wheels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 03:08:24 PM
JUST WHEN IT THINK I'M FREE, THEY SUCK ME BACK IN!   :o

Don’t forget the Gray bar-b-Kettle with user installed daisy wheels

Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 03:21:45 PM
It looks comes back to having metal bowl handles, which were replaced with wood in 1981, so that should have been too early to be a grey economy kettle with user installed daisy wheels. 

On the other hand, the NIB 18" 1995 black I picked up Monday maybe very well have user installed daisy wheels since the box shows a racing triangle.  I didn't really look at it before hiding it in the shed.
Post by: varekai on April 04, 2018, 03:25:19 PM
I gotta stop reading this thread or double up my blood pressure medication... shits exciting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 03:29:28 PM
I'm guessing it's going to bug me enough that I'm gonna go on a wild goose chase to see a stupid bowl that some idiot sprayed with grey primer (probably not even high heat).

I gotta stop reading this thread or double up my blood pressure medication... shits exciting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: varekai on April 04, 2018, 03:34:28 PM
Maybe we can pitch in gas money just so you can satisfy OUR curiosity too!!...lol

Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 03:36:04 PM
The color differential line I marked A makes me want to go see it. 

The dullness and the "scratch" marks marked B make me not want to waste my time.
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 03:37:56 PM
THAT is funny.  If everyone could send $0.25 to my paypal...

Maybe we can pitch in gas money just so you can satisfy OUR curiosity too!!...lol

Post by: harris92 on April 04, 2018, 04:01:20 PM
Yes the Plainsman is a double fade gray.

Post by: addicted-to-smoke on April 04, 2018, 04:49:39 PM
Nah. The grill in question is a faded black. When they turn gray like that, they get that orange peel kinda look about them, as shown in the original picture.
Post by: kettlebb on April 04, 2018, 04:53:26 PM
Y’all are on drugs. It’s the Plainsman

Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 05:18:33 PM
@kettlebb  Now, I think you're just messing with me.  I've been yanking my own damn chain over this one for a number of days myself BEFORE even posting it here. 

I also don't think @harris92 was saying he THINKS it is a Plainsman, only noting the Plainsman is a double faded grey.

Y’all are on drugs. It’s the Plainsman

Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 05:23:39 PM
So, IF I go on a wild goose chase to see it & wind up THINKING it is not just a faded grey, how many of you are going to post in my new thread "half a kettle appreciation society"?
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on April 04, 2018, 05:44:31 PM
So was that the only, or best picture of the grill?
Post by: kettlebb on April 04, 2018, 05:57:47 PM
Sorry to jack up the blood pressure. My real vote is faded black. Go get it and prove me right!

Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 06:16:06 PM
It was the best picture, plus it is not in the listing (making it at least a bit more difficult for the less scrupulous to find).

So was that the only, or best picture of the grill?
Post by: zavod44 on April 04, 2018, 07:24:43 PM
It's a faded black.  I personally don't believe the fading is sun related, not all of it, I think there heat or something makes the black fade.  Most of the weathered warriors are uniformly faded grey.  So I think it's a loss of pigment more than a sun fade. 

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

Post by: varekai on April 04, 2018, 07:32:20 PM
@PotsieWeber, give us your paypal email, I'll send $10 and GO!!!!!  son of a bitch!....lol
Post by: Craig on April 04, 2018, 07:37:51 PM
Ok, TRUE Weber grey kettles. 1963-66 Plainsman (two tone) the 1989-91 One Touch + or BAR-B-KETTLE and the 2000s Crate & Barrel Gen 2-3 Performer and the euro Smokey Joe. What you have is a faded black.

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.
Post by: Craig on April 04, 2018, 07:40:16 PM

The dullness and the "scratch" marks marked B make me not want to waste my time.

Plastic wheels, upside down triangle (though not a determining factor) and a little patina in the orange peel, it’s a late 70s MBH faded black.

HOLY GRAILS: 1950s era Black or Custom finish 18.5 or 22.5 Kettle, Brown Go Anywhere grill.
Post by: Grillagin on April 04, 2018, 07:43:15 PM
I don't understand the hype on this one.  What good does half a WW do you?  You probably won't find a lid that matches, unless that's not an issue.
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 07:58:00 PM
By the way, I like them when they are extremely faded like yours.  It's purty. 

Yup it's mine Potsie.
Inside the leg sockets might be black still. I'll have to check when I empty out the kettle storage if it ever warms up here.[emoji30]
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 08:00:36 PM
You never know, maybe I'll find a completely unrelated WW lid to put on it.
If it was cheap, I'd take half a WW.

I don't understand the hype on this one.  What good does half a WW do you?  You probably won't find a lid that matches, unless that's not an issue.
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 08:21:09 PM
But, I agree, I think it is most likely nothing special.
It's just that stupid line around the circumference that keeps bugging me.
Post by: Grillagin on April 04, 2018, 09:14:25 PM
Good luck if you go for it!  I passed on a local $10 WW MBH on CL when I first joined.  I should have grabbed it.
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 04, 2018, 09:21:13 PM
Ah, the ones we don't buy because we don't know enough & the ones we buy because we don't know enough.
Post by: foshizzle on April 04, 2018, 09:48:39 PM
Perfect timing for this thread. Was thinking of  picking up a “grey” mbh tomorrow and came to the WKC site to look up some more info on this “Grey”. Now I don’t think it’s grey and half of you probably agree.

Post by: PotsieWeber on April 05, 2018, 03:46:10 AM
You are probably right about the heat being a major factor.  Thinking about it, other porcelain items (signs or equipment) that were outside for decades exposed to sunlight & the elements don't seem to fade like a Weber.  If they are not chipped, they often look brand spanking new.

It's a faded black.  I personally don't believe the fading is sun related, not all of it, I think there heat or something makes the black fade.  Most of the weathered warriors are uniformly faded grey.  So I think it's a loss of pigment more than a sun fade. 

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 05, 2018, 03:52:31 AM
If you like it & it's cheap, buy it.  It has character. 
I think yours is a faded black.
I'm also thinking the line seen on the picture I posted seems like it's right about the height of where the grate would be and maybe that has something to do with the slight color differential.
The pic I posted also just seems to have way too flat of a finish & the guy has not responded to my text asking if he painted the kettle, so it looks like I'm NOT going on a drive.

Perfect timing for this thread. Was thinking of  picking up a “grey” mbh tomorrow and came to the WKC site to look up some more info on this “Grey”. Now I don’t think it’s grey and half of you probably agree.

Post by: harris92 on April 05, 2018, 04:36:41 AM
The Plainsman was only produced in 1963

Ok, TRUE Weber grey kettles. 1963-66 Plainsman (two tone) the 1989-91 One Touch + or BAR-B-KETTLE and the 2000s Crate & Barrel Gen 2-3 Performer and the euro Smokey Joe. What you have is a faded black.

Post by: addicted-to-smoke on April 05, 2018, 06:05:53 AM
... so it looks like I'm NOT going on a drive.

Don't sweat it. We'd already started, and funded, a secret Kickstarter campaign on your behalf. 10 of us had to sell off a few colored grills and stop payment on our mortgages for a couple of days, but it's probably worth it for a Grillfella!

It's being airlifted straight to your house later today. Enjoy!
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 05, 2018, 07:51:17 AM
DAMN, this is the FINEST online group ever.

I'm going to start a new thread thanking all for your generosity.

After reading this, my eyes teared up & ........................... I nearly spit out my drink laughing.

Don't sweat it. We'd already started, and funded, a secret Kickstarter campaign on your behalf. 10 of us had to sell off a few colored grills and stop payment on our mortgages for a couple of days, but it's probably worth it for a Grillfella!

Post by: Cellar2ful on April 05, 2018, 08:04:21 AM

Notice he said airlifted.  It will be pushed out of the aircraft at 10,000 feet and falling like the Chinese space station did this week.
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 05, 2018, 08:20:22 AM
THAT pretty much proves it really is just half of a faded black MBH.

Notice he said airlifted.  It will be pushed out of the aircraft at 10,000 feet and falling like the Chinese space station did this week.
Post by: MacEggs on April 05, 2018, 01:14:49 PM

Don't be fooled by the line on the bowl. 
This faded 18, AKA: Fog, rescued by MrHoss has the same line on the bowl about a couple three inches down …

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/mac-calls-hoss-responds/

This thread has some better images to illustrate

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/grilling-with-driftwood/
Post by: Heyjude on April 05, 2018, 07:51:31 PM

This.. I think some of the Weber grills have pigment issues that cause them to fade.. I don't think anyone has tracked the date range of these fades. I've seen my share of Faded or Pigment loss in black grills.
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on April 06, 2018, 07:55:06 AM
And am I mistaken, or have we seen more faded black kettles from the '70s than from the '60s? Or did I just start a rumor?
Post by: PotsieWeber on April 06, 2018, 12:48:47 PM
My guess is more were sold in the 70s than the 60s in the first place.
Post by: Craig on April 07, 2018, 05:34:03 AM

The Plainsman was only produced in 1963

Ok, TRUE Weber grey kettles. 1963-66 Plainsman (two tone)

That moment when you realize you’ve done well as a historian when others begin to correct the historian. [emoji38]