Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: Troy on August 05, 2012, 07:13:21 AM

Title: frogmats?
Post by: Troy on August 05, 2012, 07:13:21 AM
after grilling some john dory yesterday that fell apart as i was taking it off, i ALMOST bought some of those frogmats.

does anyone have any?

my stuck is the price.
i really think i can find the same or similar material for a lot cheaper. it looks like it's just woven mesh.

any of you handy guys have ideas for cheaper alternatives?
Title: Re: frogmats?
Post by: Duke on August 06, 2012, 08:45:34 AM
Okay Troy, who is John Dory and why did you cook him? You got me! What are frog mats?
Post by: Troy on August 06, 2012, 09:27:00 AM
John Dory is a fish :P

Frogmats are a non stick grilling mat. http://shop.americanbbq.co.uk/frogmats-17-c.asp (http://shop.americanbbq.co.uk/frogmats-17-c.asp)
Post by: Duke on August 06, 2012, 01:14:31 PM
John Dory is a fish :P
Well, you just go ahead and name your fish whatever you want Troy. :D

Save your money on the matts. Just move the meat a little after it hits the grill and everything will be alright. I hit everything with a little Pam first.
Post by: Heyjude on August 06, 2012, 09:19:23 PM
They have to be the BBQ equivalent of a Silmat.. But I agree, non stick or maybe a ss grill pan used for fish or veggies..
Post by: Vermin99 on August 07, 2012, 07:42:52 AM
I like to use CI pans and get your fish skin on too if possible.
Post by: Scotty Da Q on August 07, 2012, 09:44:04 AM
I got one as a payment. I used it once on a butt. ... stuff still stuck to it. But you can just throw it in the dishwasher.
Post by: Troy on August 07, 2012, 09:47:48 AM
using it on a butt was something i was thinking about too.

when i REALLY load up my smoker (10 butts), getting the cooked butts off the lower grate can be challenging.
Post by: zavod44 on August 08, 2012, 05:27:47 AM
What happens? You can't grab them?  They stick? 

Brian
Post by: Heyjude on August 08, 2012, 06:38:58 AM
Just spray your grate with some non stick.. Even after a very long time, it still helps.
It also helps in cleaning he grate..
Post by: Troy on August 08, 2012, 09:35:33 AM
the problem with the butts is getting them unstuck and pulled out of the smoker. the bottom grate is low enough to make using a spatula difficult - especially when there's more than 2 butts there.
Post by: Heyjude on August 09, 2012, 12:32:32 PM
I've never done more than onea t a time, and I usually tie them. So its not an issue for me.  Get some of those nifty grate lifters and you can just pull the whole thing out and set it on a table or a kettle.. I fear the frogmat would not last repeeated 14 hr cooks.
Post by: Troy on August 09, 2012, 12:49:22 PM
i tried pulling the grate, but it doesn't lift straight up and out
Post by: G$ on August 28, 2012, 05:48:49 AM
Just to add, frogmats are really made for smoking/indirect cooking.  I would not use one direct on a kettle.