Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Mods, Tables and Customs => Topic started by: au4stree on February 02, 2018, 10:42:24 AM

Title: Natural Gas line for Performer gas starter?
Post by: au4stree on February 02, 2018, 10:42:24 AM
I'm not sure this is the proper place, but wanted to ask.

The house we bought came with a piped in natural gas grill.  It doesn't work, basically a rust bucket and not worth rehabbing.  My question, what would it take to convert that natural gas line to my performer gas starter?  Can that be done?  I realize it is a bit odd, but I figured, the line is there and it would keep from buying new cylinders all the time.

Thanks y'all.

John
Title: Natural Gas line for Performer gas starter?
Post by: Jules V. on February 02, 2018, 11:01:49 AM
Just get an adapter and use a 20lb tank. Got tired refilling the 1 lb canister so i just purchased 4 adapters and use either the 5 lb and 20lb tank. Should be more convenient than the natural gas line.
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180202/9651950490c4e5bead40413cd047aa9d.jpg)
Title: Re: Natural Gas line for Performer gas starter?
Post by: YardBurner on February 02, 2018, 11:52:24 AM
It only takes a 4-5 minute burn to light a chimney.
How often do you have to change out tanks?

We average 3 times a week between using the Performer
to cook on or using it to light the chim for another kettle.
The green tanks seem to last for a really decent length
of time. Can't say the exact # but I'll start counting now.

Besides converting to NG would prevent you from moving
the grill anywhere else to cook (at least with gas assist.)
Post by: au4stree on February 02, 2018, 11:59:26 AM
The reason for wanting to convert to NG is that the line is there and I was thinking that would be convenient to just hook that line up to the performer.  I don't think I'll use the gas starter that often, just exploring an idea.  Seems like i would need some type of reducer or something similar.  At this point, I'm fine with my chimney or the smaller propane tank for starting my fires.

NOTE:  the performer is brand new to me, so I have no history to tell you how much charcoal I use, gas i use, etc.  Looking forward to cooking on a weber again.  Thanks for the replies
Post by: YardBurner on February 02, 2018, 12:08:29 PM
Not sure if you would have to change out the venturi.
If the lighter even has one. You'll have to mess
with the air mix for sure.

I definitely understand the desire to hook up to NG.
We don't have it available in our 'Hood.
Early on the list is to set up our E470 Summit
to make use of 100# or larger LP tank.

Local LP guy can refill from the driveway with a hose
to the back deck.  Already had him check the distance and access.

Everything else at that location burns charcoal or wood.
Post by: JordanW on February 02, 2018, 01:06:01 PM
@au4stree maybe try to track down an old NG gasser and pirate some parts off of it. The pressure is different or something like that so obviously it's not a direct swap. But if you take the NG assembly and completely swap out, it may work and be safe. I wouldn't mix and match any parts from the 2 fuel sources.

A $30 beat up NG gasser probably cheaper than parting all the fittings / connections you would need.

Good luck!
Post by: Darko on February 08, 2018, 05:59:10 PM
I'm not sure this is the proper place, but wanted to ask.

The house we bought came with a piped in natural gas grill.  It doesn't work, basically a rust bucket and not worth rehabbing.  My question, what would it take to convert that natural gas line to my performer gas starter?  Can that be done?  I realize it is a bit odd, but I figured, the line is there and it would keep from buying new cylinders all the time.

Thanks y'all.

John
All you need is an adaptor from the gas line to your performer.
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on February 13, 2018, 07:22:07 AM
There are a variety of NG conversion kits available, at home depot, for regular gasers. But IMO the cost is prohibitive unless your handy and have the tools.

If you dont have the tools your most likely not qualified to do the work.

Generally youll have to change the orifices in the manifold due to the difference in BTUs produced and pressure differences between the two gasses. Then some tuning of the venturi to get the right air/fuel ratio, after making a secure NG connection to the grill. I dont see the burner & bowl on the kettle lasting very long with the NG line towing behind unless theres a solid connection made between the frame of the grill and the two gas hoses.

There is a lot of conversion information available online and you may be able to talk to someone at a local grill shop that does repairs/makes hoses or a RV repair shop in your area.

My best advise would be to keep it propane fired since you only need it intermittently for a couple minutes at a time and not necessarily for an hour or more to cook a whole meal.

You wont have any trouble finding advise here for how to make the Touch & Go system that should be on your grill now work properly or replace the parts so it will. Weber sells everything you need except for a converter to connect to a larger tank. Installing any of the T&G parts is easy & safe enough that a kid at Ace can do it, getting an old used one off the grill is another story.

As it is theres a good possibility the only problem with the T&G on your grill is either a spider in the burner tube or ash clogging the orifice. If its a SSP also theres a good chance the burner tube, hose & regulator are weathered & worn and probly need replaced too.

Show a couple pics of what you got and someone will steer you in the right direction.

Post by: Darko on February 15, 2018, 06:02:30 AM
I don't believe that will be an issue. All that's being done is using natural gas to light charcoal, not to cook.
Post by: demosthenes9 on February 15, 2018, 08:41:25 AM
Couple of things.   First, NG orifices have larger openings than LP.  So, if you don't modify or change the orifice, you will get a lower flame which could be an issue.   Second is the actual plumbing.   On the SSP the on/off valve is on the tank itself.  Since the tank will be gone, you'll need to have the on/off valve somewhere else which might be less convenient.    Then you would need a NG hose.   The connector on the end probably won't fit right up to the SSP,, but you can use brass adapter fittings from a hardware store to match up.