Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: CharliefromLI on August 26, 2017, 04:50:29 PM

Title: Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released
Post by: CharliefromLI on August 26, 2017, 04:50:29 PM
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170827/8215e129084e4412ff6629e0f7cfefbd.jpg)

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released
Post by: mhiszem on August 26, 2017, 05:05:30 PM
Can’t wait to hear how this works! Hopefully it makes the smoke that much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: Dcloin on August 26, 2017, 05:24:25 PM
Ordered mine this morning. Can't wait to give it a try.
Post by: SixZeroFour on August 26, 2017, 05:45:10 PM
This is great news although I'm a bit puzzled by the price. I love my smoke but wasn't expecting the wifi addin to cost nearly as much as the main unit itself.
Post by: mhiszem on August 26, 2017, 07:37:57 PM

This is great news although I'm a bit puzzled by the price. I love my smoke but wasn't expecting the wifi addin to cost nearly as much as the main unit itself.

Yeah, wondering how that will pan out. Won’t sell very many at this price point. Especially when you can get an open box smoke for $76.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Thermoworks smoke Wi-Fi gateway finally released
Post by: CharliefromLI on August 27, 2017, 06:16:03 AM

Yeah, wondering how that will pan out. Won’t sell very many at this price point. Especially when you can get an open box smoke for $76.

It's higher than I would like (what isn't right).

I think $189 all in for a thermoworks wifi thermometer is pretty consistent with their pricing, I think the breakdown is what makes it seem steep. I will say it seems like the gateway release was held back a few months so hopefully they got all the bugs out before releasing.

Post by: james1787 on August 27, 2017, 07:09:42 AM
Wow, yeah a little steep for me right now. What's neat is that you should be able to log & graph your temperatures with the app. I'll probably eventually add it to my smoke. Maybe a Christmas gift idea..
Post by: CharliefromLI on August 27, 2017, 09:02:40 AM

Wow, yeah a little steep for me right now. What's neat is that you should be able to log & graph your temperatures with the app. I'll probably eventually add it to my smoke. Maybe a Christmas gift idea..

Yeah, just got smoke 3 weeks ago on a 15% off sale. Hoping for another sale before I order the wifi.

Post by: 70monte on August 27, 2017, 01:10:16 PM
I ordered it.  Hopefully it will improve my reception range.
Post by: northwestkettle on August 28, 2017, 06:17:50 AM
Ya I'd like to hear how it works I have the smoke and was hoping the cost of the gateway would be a bit lower. I can get the Igrill 2 that has the capacity of 4 probes and will hook up to my phone and graph temps for $86 as far as build quality and accuracy I have no idea how well made the igrill 2 is but the whole thing is about the same price as just the gateway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: ClubChapin on August 28, 2017, 01:42:45 PM
Ya I'd like to hear how it works I have the smoke and was hoping the cost of the gateway would be a bit lower. I can get the Igrill 2 that has the capacity of 4 probes and will hook up to my phone and graph temps for $86 as far as build quality and accuracy I have no idea how well made the igrill 2 is but the whole thing is about the same price as just the gateway

The iGrill uses bluetooth and when you phone is not present, it is not logging.

I presume the Smoke Gateway will log to the cloud and log without gaps.  It should work and be able to be monitored when you run out for more beer or meat.

I've got the iGrill2 and don't like it.  the temp probes do not measure close to each other and there is no way to calibrate them.  I also have an iGrill mini that I actually do like.  I use it on the rotisserie.  Wish there was a Smoke product for the roti.  The Meater should work well for the Roti I guess.
Post by: northwestkettle on August 28, 2017, 04:31:21 PM

The iGrill uses bluetooth and when you phone is not present, it is not logging.

I presume the Smoke Gateway will log to the cloud and log without gaps.  It should work and be able to be monitored when you run out for more beer or meat.

I've got the iGrill2 and don't like it.  the temp probes do not measure close to each other and there is no way to calibrate them.  I also have an iGrill mini that I actually do like.  I use it on the rotisserie.  Wish there was a Smoke product for the roti.  The Meater should work well for the Roti I guess.
Thanks for the info on the igrill 2 sounds like the thermoworks is better quality so probably worth the extra money for the wireless connection

Post by: ClubChapin on August 30, 2017, 01:10:13 PM
Thanks for the info on the igrill 2 sounds like the thermoworks is better quality so probably worth the extra money for the wireless connection

I think they both have their place.  I have both we'll see which is better in the long haul. 

I received my smoke gateway today.  it seems to work well.  Hope to cook with it this weekend. 

This is my three initial criticisms of the Smoke Gateway:

It would be nice to be able to configure the Smoke from the app.  It is only a monitoring tool.

The app does not indicate when the connection to the base is lost, like the remote does.

It would be nice if the gateway charged with a micro-usb, like most phones and other devices do, rather than the mini-usb that it uses.  Everyone seems to have the micro-usb cables, but the mini-usb are harder to find.

Post by: CharliefromLI on August 30, 2017, 01:34:42 PM

I think they both have their place.  I have both we'll see which is better in the long haul. 

I received my smoke gateway today.  it seems to work well.  Hope to cook with it this weekend. 

This is my three initial criticisms of the Smoke Gateway:

It would be nice to be able to configure the Smoke from the app.  It is only a monitoring tool.

The app does not indicate when the connection to the base is lost, like the remote does.

It would be nice if the gateway charged with a micro-usb, like most phones and other devices do, rather than the mini-usb that it uses.  Everyone seems to have the micro-usb cables, but the mini-usb are harder to find.

Mini is an odd choice, the whole world is micro now...

Post by: JDD on August 30, 2017, 01:53:27 PM
Just ordered, price seems a little high but I couldn't pass it up.
Post by: northwestkettle on August 30, 2017, 03:09:36 PM
Thanks again for the info @Clubchapin

Post by: ClubChapin on August 30, 2017, 03:53:17 PM
[quote author=CharliefromLI link=topic=32512.msg323822#msg323822 date=1504128882

Mini is an odd choice, the whole world is micro now...

I agree. Not a show stopper, but a head scratcher.
Post by: ClubChapin on August 30, 2017, 03:56:55 PM
Thanks again for the info @ClubChapin

I should add that vs the igrill, the smoke uses way nicer, more accurate, more durable, nicer, and cheaper probes than the igrill.

Cool thing is that the smoke probes work with the igrill, so when you need replacement igrill probes, try smoke probes.
Post by: ClubChapin on August 31, 2017, 04:55:29 PM
Another annoyance with the smoke gateway: alarms do not transfer to the app. They need to be set in the app. Once set in the app they transfer to another instance of the app. They can be different than the alarm values on the smoke base unit.
Post by: northwestkettle on August 31, 2017, 05:55:37 PM
Another annoyance with the smoke gateway: alarms do not transfer to the app. They need to be set in the app. Once set in the app they transfer to another instance of the app. They can be different than the alarm values on the smoke base unit.
Ya that's kind of a pain I guess you just set your alarms on the base way above what u want so they don't go off and just use the one on the app when your using wireless

Post by: SmokenJoe on August 31, 2017, 08:47:47 PM
Seems to me that, at the ask for the gateway, the TxD'r and RcV'r and the Gateway ought to be in total sync.

SJ
Post by: ClubChapin on August 31, 2017, 08:50:17 PM
Seems to me that, at the ask for the gateway, the TxD'r and RcV'r and the Gateway ought to be in total sync.

SJ

I'm sure they will get there with and update of the app, or cloud infrastructure, or firmware update of the gateway itself.
Post by: SmokenJoe on August 31, 2017, 11:14:52 PM
I think I'll wait for ver 2.0 of the S/W.   I love the Smoke just the way it is except for the size of the probe wire junction.  I'm still working on a solution for feeding two of the Smoke probes through a lamp nipple in the sides of my kettle.

SJ
Post by: PorkPatrol on November 09, 2017, 05:03:45 AM
I have it and love it. I have been in communication with Thermoworks though for a few ideas:

I would like the ability to timestamp events through the app. Like vent status, amount of fuel/when added. Time wrapped. Time basted. Etc.

I would also love for the app to pull from local weather data. Ie humidity, temp and wind.

The app has to just be made more user friendly. The type of people who would buy this setup are interested in recording a whole lot more than just pit temp and food temp. I’d like this to be a total replacement for my notebook.
Post by: CharliefromLI on November 09, 2017, 05:08:50 AM

I have it and love it. I have been in communication with Thermoworks though for a few ideas:

I would like the ability to timestamp events through the app. Like vent status, amount of fuel/when added. Time wrapped. Time basted. Etc.

I would also love for the app to pull from local weather data. Ie humidity, temp and wind.

The app has to just be made more user friendly. The type of people who would buy this setup are interested in recording a whole lot more than just pit temp and food temp. I’d like this to be a total replacement for my notebook.

Good ideas. If thermoworks doesn’t want to expand app, it would be great if they would allow 3rd party apps to read their signal.

They have many relationships with other vendors, lots of good partner content online, so perhaps this could be in the future.

Post by: PorkPatrol on November 09, 2017, 05:24:53 AM

Good ideas. If thermoworks doesn’t want to expand app, it would be great if they would allow 3rd party apps to read their signal.

They have many relationships with other vendors, lots of good partner content online, so perhaps this could be in the future.

That’s a great point. One of the guys on their product development team stated he received the input and they were currently working on improving the app. I really hope they do. It would be a shame if after being in excess of $180 in, all you could do is log temps.
Post by: captjoe06 on November 30, 2020, 02:06:54 AM
Hello fellas, it's been a while.  Anyone want to comment on the latest firmware update for the Smoke Gateway?  It's on sale right now but don't want to get it if it's garbage.  Can anyone that still uses it chime in and tag me?  TIA!

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway (https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke-Gateway)

(https://northeastbbqdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2020/11/image-3.png)
Post by: HoosierKettle on November 30, 2020, 09:17:01 AM
That’s tempting at that price. All I would like is to know what the temp is when away from home. It’s sounds like it’s always been able to do that.

Post by: Jason on November 30, 2020, 11:17:14 AM
Anyone want to comment on the latest firmware update for the Smoke Gateway?

@captjoe06

I have an original Smoke, as well as an original Smoke Gateway, with updated firmware. I needed to upgrade to the latest version of the App, for my iPhone, and all is well. Last cook, an 8lb Pork Shoulder, I did not have any issues whatsoever. I recommend the Gateway, if you already have the Smoke. I have both, but am considering the Signals, just because  ;D

Jason
Post by: Jason on November 30, 2020, 11:19:54 AM
All I would like is to know what the temp is when away from home. It’s sounds like it’s always been able to do that.

That is the main reason I purchased the Gateway. It's nice to be able to run to the store and keep an eye on temps.

Jason