Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: Cellar2ful on August 04, 2017, 09:40:50 PM

Title: Example of fire danger from a Weber kettle with hot coals
Post by: Cellar2ful on August 04, 2017, 09:40:50 PM

This occurred in my area last night.  16 vehicles and the carport were destroyed.  Cause of the fire is believed to have been the BBQ. It was put away in the carport with hot coals in it.   Although no charges will be filed on the grills owner, I'm sure the neighbors are not to happy with him.  It can happen very easily.  For you, your family and neighbors, use common sense and be safe. Think twice before you put that grill away.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2017/08/04/DSC04185.md.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2017/08/04/DSC04186.md.jpg)

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2017/08/04/DSC04187.md.jpg)
Title: Re: Example of fire danger from a Weber kettle with hot coals
Post by: Troy on August 04, 2017, 09:43:06 PM
Oh shit, man that sucks. I'm always careful with ash and embers after nearly burning down my parent's house when I was 8.

This can be rescued. Who will be the champion.

(http://pics.weberkettleclub.com/images/2017/08/04/DSC04187.md.jpg)
Post by: LiquidOcelot on August 04, 2017, 09:44:58 PM
all she needs is new legs and the lid straightened out
Post by: Cellar2ful on August 04, 2017, 09:45:58 PM
Unfortunately, it may be in evidence currently.  Also may have lost a leg socket when the roof collapsed onto it.
Post by: WNC on August 05, 2017, 03:48:29 AM
That sucks, good reminder to be safe though...

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: hawgheaven on August 05, 2017, 05:52:10 AM
Good Lord! What a mess!
Post by: charred on August 05, 2017, 07:41:33 AM
Damn, a colored mbh. Shoulda been a taco.

i wonder what the grill was left next to and/or if all vents were closed.

Post by: kettlebb on August 05, 2017, 07:44:01 AM
I wonder that too @charred .  What was the chain reaction to cause this? I've seen small coals hit the ash pan but I haven't seen them roll off onto something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: swamprb on August 05, 2017, 09:21:32 AM
that idiot needs to have his Redhead man card revoked!
Post by: bigredmf on August 05, 2017, 09:46:20 AM
A buddy of mine always closes all vents waits a few minutes and rolls his Red Head into the middle of his garage regardless wether it is hot or not.

I've never been really comfortable with it.

He may even lurk here.

Red

Post by: hawgheaven on August 05, 2017, 10:27:17 AM
Well, obviously, He did something not right. I ALWAYS shut my kettles down after a cook. And I have the ash buckets... got rid of the ash trays.
Post by: HoosierKettle on August 05, 2017, 10:40:55 AM

Well, obviously, He did something not right. I ALWAYS shut my kettles down after a cook. And I have the ash buckets... got rid of the ash trays.

Yeah me too. I forgot one time last month and left my lid off after cooking. Of course it rained that night and turned the ash to a nasty sludge in the bowl. That's the only time I can ever remember doing that and won't do it again. My neighbor leaves his lid off all of the time. I don't see how he stands the mess that makes in the bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: Cochise on August 06, 2017, 06:14:15 PM
BS!!! That poor redhead is just a Patsy. It was teenagers I tells ya....teenagers!!!
Post by: MrHoss on August 06, 2017, 06:47:02 PM
BS!!! That poor redhead is just a Patsy. It was teenagers I tells ya....teenagers!!!

That's just the start of it.

Fake fire. Setup. Conspiracy theory. China. News media intelligentsia.....climate change cover-up.

Somebody needs to save that poor Redhead though....that is forsure.
Post by: james1787 on August 07, 2017, 06:39:00 AM
Wow! I will definitely make sure my grills are more secure / in a safe spot when done cooking with them. I wonder if there was anything flammable under / nearby that the ashes / coals may have fallen upon? It would be interesting to pinpoint the cause.
Post by: cbpeck on August 07, 2017, 09:17:03 AM
Post by: Darko on August 07, 2017, 09:21:02 AM
I don't know, but I sense some BS here.
Post by: Big Dawg on August 07, 2017, 09:44:08 AM
^^^^^^ Sarcasm???

BD
Post by: MacEggs on August 07, 2017, 09:53:12 AM

I'm with @MrHoss and @Darko on this …. Another Psy-Op …

This will allow them to pass more legislation to control the masses …. Just sayin'.  8)

Have a nice day.  :D
Post by: RSHU on August 07, 2017, 10:15:53 AM
@Cellar2ful I didn't know you live this close to me! I am in Campbell too. I happen to work for the local fire department that went to this fire, they said it was hot!! The cars in the carport got so hot that the radiant heat caught cars 25-30 feet away on fire.

All of which could have been prevented with some basic fire safety. Be safe and grill on!
Post by: Darko on August 07, 2017, 10:32:45 AM
^^^^^^ Sarcasm???

BD
Not really. I'm not saying it couldn't happen.  I've tried lighting coals on bits of wood, and in every case there was never an issue of a major fire breaking out. I haven't tried every single variation possible, but this to me seems like a very highly unlikely event. I have a feeling that there may be more to this story than meets the eye.
Post by: james1787 on August 07, 2017, 11:18:51 AM
Not really. I'm not saying it couldn't happen.  I've tried lighting coals on bits of wood, and in every case there was never an issue of a major fire breaking out. I haven't tried every single variation possible, but this to me seems like a very highly unlikely event. I have a feeling that there may be more to this story than meets the eye.

I remember seeing the posts about trying to light coals on bits of wood..

The only thing I can think of is what else was in the car port? Was the grill placed back in an area shoved next to a stack of papers? Maybe they kept it on top of cardboard. If it was a windy day maybe the right gust hit it and took some embers into something flammable? Once something gets going.. it won't take long to get the car burning.. especially with all the plastics in them these days.
Post by: demosthenes9 on August 07, 2017, 01:20:34 PM
From a news report:

"A fire cause investigator determined the blaze was accidental and was sparked by hot charcoal briquettes smoldering in a barbecue, according to count fire Capt. Bill Murphy.

“The barbecue was on top of other combustible material, and was immediately adjacent to a car and a wall,” Murphy said."

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post by: kettlebb on August 07, 2017, 06:18:33 PM
That's smart. "Hey honey get that barbecue out of the way".  "Alright I'll just set it up here on this stack of cardboard next to the car up against the wall".

Post by: Cellar2ful on August 07, 2017, 08:21:33 PM
@RSHU - I am actually in Castro Valley.  Since the Forum has members nation and worldwide, I was generalizing when I said it had occurred in my area.

I only posted this thread so that possibly folks will think twice when storing their recently used grill or when disposing of the ashes from their grills.  I have witnessed two incidents where neighbors of mine caused fires due to disposing of their charcoal BBQ ashes.  One was lucky, the other not so much. One incident was about 30 years ago with my then next door neighbor at my previous house.  It was about 10 PM and I saw the orange glow of a fire through my bathroom window.  I was able to alert them to the fire and we extinguished the flames with our garden hoses. His plastic garbage can and part of his wooden porch were the only damage.  The second incident was more recent and sadly the results were much worse.  A neighbor up the street from me dumped his BBQ ashes in the green recycle container.  It caught fire, traveled up the side of his house and spread to tall juniper trees on the side of his house. The fire quickly melted the plastic window frame of his atrium window and allowed the fire to enter the house. Luckily, all 5 sleeping occupants and 1 dog in the home were able to escape without injury.  His house suffered major fire, smoke and water damage ($300,000) which took over a year to repair.