Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: UserGone on March 24, 2017, 06:22:45 AM

Title: Rejected by my first Red Head..
Post by: UserGone on March 24, 2017, 06:22:45 AM
I'm a new WKC user here but have been reading up on some older threads. The ones that I find most interesting are the threads with a title, "in the wild".  Where one member snaps photos of a kettle on someone's yard or patio. Then the guessing game begins to determine  just what model and year this kettle is. Some even knock on the door and offer to purchase the family heirloom Weber.

On the way to drop off my kids at school for the past 5 years. Round the corner is this older Red Head that always catches my eye. Maybe it was the color Red that got my attention first. This Red Weber kettle lives outside year round and almost appears to be yard art. The weathered wooden handles and patina on the red porcelain almost tells a story. I've been looking for possible movement on this particular kettle as a sign of regular use but this Red Head has been in the exact same spot for years now.
  So today I decided to approach this beautiful looking red head and see if I could get her to come home with me.  On my way up the walk, I glanced at the letter code and spotted a single letter "J".  It was a quick glance to not be noticed staring. The same way a young man glances to see if the woman of interest is wearing a wedding ring just before he moves in. Without missing a step I proceeded to knock on the front door. I was greater by an older gentleman. I must admit that I am rusty at this game of chase. Sadly I was rejected but that didn't kill any feelings I had. Maybe it's my personal past experience of being rejected by real life beautiful women. It's better to approach and ask then to have never known what could have been.

This makes me want to own a classic red head even more... The journey has begun.
  (https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/f9957ecf273528e1fde80e2508e8452b.jpg)

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Title: Re: Rejected by my first Red Head..
Post by: varekai on March 24, 2017, 06:29:08 AM
Awesome story... sorry for your rejection.  But you did the right thing, you never know till ya try...There's other out there for ya, hang in there.  PS, is that where she sits day after day?..wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=91018)
Post by: HoosierKettle on March 24, 2017, 06:44:50 AM
That is a good story. I use that same discreet glance when checking out yoga pants. Jussayin

Post by: Neil_VT00 on March 24, 2017, 07:22:46 AM
Nice story.  You missed one key step, next time leave your name and phone number in case he changes his mind in the future.  Good luck on your quest to find a redhead.

Where are you located? Maybe someone here can help you out.
Post by: Jeepin79 on March 24, 2017, 07:28:31 AM
Do you think you can run faster than he can...............
Post by: Travis on March 24, 2017, 07:32:51 AM
I, along with a lot of others, know exactly what your talking about. I drive by a house that I cold called last year with a redhead sitting under a big oak for years. Even offered the guy a one touch with a plastic handle (the redheads handle had moss and crap growing all over it), but he didn't want to sell. Left the name and number and still look up at it when driving by. [emoji17]
I also love yoga pants. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: RottiGuy on March 24, 2017, 07:34:04 AM
Run Forrest Run!!
Post by: WNC on March 24, 2017, 07:57:13 AM
Who hasn't been rejected by a redhead...

Post by: Jeepin79 on March 24, 2017, 08:02:21 AM
Who hasn't been rejected by a redhead...

And some blondes, brunettes, and that girl with the limp and lazy eye......
Post by: UserGone on March 24, 2017, 08:11:31 AM
Your absolutely right! Should have left contact information. Told you I've been out of this game for some time. lol 
I'll be sure to leave contact info next time.

I'm located in the Milwaukee north shore and I have no memories of anyone cooking on a red weber kettle. All have been the standard black kettles. I wasn't aware of the different colors that were available back then. I assumed the new colors were recently available so by reading here I am learning. The red head kettles just have a classy appearance. Sorry, "redhead", just realized its one word.

I was recently talking grill talk with a co-worker that is now in the market for a 26" kettle because of me. You see, Last October I invited  him and his wife to our 3rd annual backyard Oktoberfest BBQ. He was very impressed with my Mesquite Smoked Chicken and stated it was the best he's ever had. These are words every cook likes to hear. The chicken was prepared in my older 22.5" kettle that I recently upgraded to a 2005 performer. He had no idea something that tasty could ever come out of a weber charcoal kettle. While at our Oktoberfest party, He shared stories about a red kettle he was gifted from his wife in 1993-94. The description he gave was of a Weber Master Touch and a redhead to top it off. This MT redhead also lived outside in the elements and finally the bottom of the bowl rusted beyond repair. He ended up throwing the grill away and replaced it with a gas burner.

So now he would like to purchase a new charcoal grill and for me to provide some lessons on producing  the tasty chicken.
  Yesterday he told me he found the red lid and ash catcher in his garage. I was shocked to hear about this and reminded him he mentioned it was thrown away. He replied and said that he only threw away the rusty bowl along with the legs. But that he should have taken the time to remove the legs. He'd forgotten that he had stored them away. His wife approved of him giving me the remaining parts. She finds it hilarious that anyone would go threw extremes over a charcoal BBQ grill.
   I'm excited to see this red lid and ash catcher that I'll pick up tomorrow. So now I'll be searching for a decent red porcelain one-touch bowl with undercarriage.   

Post by: toebee97 on March 24, 2017, 08:16:42 AM
Dang that sucks man, here's to better luck in the future! Not to rub salt in the wound, but I just picked up a J off Craiglist yesterday, gonna start breaking it down and cleaning it up today. Probably going to start a restoration thread if you want to follow it. ;D
Post by: brewtownbeatdown on March 24, 2017, 08:52:09 AM
There are a lot of people living in that area who are eclectic, collector types. [emoji383]doesn't usually sway 'em.  I live close by, in Greendale, so I'll give you a heads up whenever something comes up.

Post by: brewtownbeatdown on March 24, 2017, 08:54:30 AM
Oh, btw. I really, really (x infinity) love yoga pants also!!!

Post by: Josh G on March 24, 2017, 09:52:33 AM
You leave something out front like that in my neighborhood it means free and is gone in a day. 
Post by: brewtownbeatdown on March 24, 2017, 11:11:46 AM
You leave something out front like that in my neighborhood it means free and is gone in a day.
There's no HOOD in his neighborhood. You sneeze wrong in that area & [emoji61] are right there.

Post by: UserGone on March 24, 2017, 11:48:58 AM
Yeah I live in a quiet area. Every evening on any day feels like a Monday.  There is a 5 foot curb rule. If it's 5 feet from the curb, it's FREE for the taking. I have seen some amazing items thrown away in my area.  Stuff that is worth hundreds at times with a piece of paper taped to it that reads, "FREE". I've seen plenty of gas grills on the curb but don't pick them up. Wish I owned a truck.
I could never throw stuff like that away. I've picked up a backpack leaf blower, few lawn mowers, kid toys, and a few bicycles in the 10 years I've lived here.
    This is s true story. When I first moved here from Texas I had not moved all my belongings yet the first couple of months. We were renting a house nearby and It was mid June. I was not aware of the 5 foot curb rule yet. That warm Saturday afternoon I decided to take a ride to the local hardware store and purchase a small Weber Charcoal grill since my older kettle was still in Texas. I got in my car and had only driven two blocks down my street when I see a 22" Webber kettle on the curb with a paper sign like mentioned. I was so puzzled and amazed. I still couldn't believe they were giving it away that I even went to knock on the door. This older gentleman answered and confirmed it was free. He probably wondered if I even knew how to read since he did leave a sign. I loaded it up and drove back home. It was a black 1991 N code with SS hinged grate. It was barely used but I still cleaned it up and made it look new again. Later my wife arrived and I showed her what I had found but she thought I was joking as the kettle looked new. What luck to find the very same item I was about to buy.
I grilled brats for the first time on that N code kettle. I had never cooked brats growing up in Texas. When we moved away from that rental home I set the grill back on the curb. It was gone by the end of the day.

Title: Rejected by my first Red Head..
Post by: UserGone on May 02, 2017, 11:43:41 AM
Finally landed a Redhead... but in the wrong size...
   I'd rather accumulate the smaller SJ's or GA's due to their smaller garage footprint.

I've been in here a short while and what I've learned so far is:
- don't go knocking on anyone's house just cause you want to buy the kettle that's sitting in the yard. I don't mind knocking and asking politely just As some here don't mind to PM you and throw out a feeler on a kettle you just scored. "Hey, if you ever decide to part with it,, let me know"
- do search all the local listings, once they pop up at a great price...RUN to buy it cause if ya don't. Someone here will. Pristine or excellent condition kettles don't last long in the for sale sections.
- or just do a little of all of the above: get someone on here that lives closer to go knock for you or even pick it up for ya.
- you can even wait till a kettle is posted here with all the awesome angle shots, cleaned up and degreased. Then pay top dollar for it. At least you'll know what you are buying. Not driving 2+ hours cause of the poor sellers photos to find out the one side he didn't show you had a rusted out hole. "Yikes"
- just be patient and they will come.
  This 18" Redhead is an O code 1992. More pictures to follow in the Trade section. Looking for the right size little SJ in red for it. No cash accepted.

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/b815c2207023146e4de4547717947d33.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/28115432b50582f8ed0d3473ee7f067a.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170502/86c6cee2b8beb895c9e126c10e3f3664.jpg)

Post by: eLLWOODgGLEN on May 02, 2017, 12:13:02 PM
Nice 18" redhead.

My pursuit is for a non-black 26r.

....someday (sigh)......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Post by: UserGone on May 02, 2017, 01:01:04 PM
Yeah she is a nice Redhead..
Since I've signed on to this site. I've accumulated two flat top 26ers... The black one you don't want and a brownie. I Had to send someone else that was closer running to pick up that Chief. Those Pat. Pending 26er's don't last long at $35 with the twist on ash pan.
I'd love to get a matching Pat. Pending Warrior and Brave along with a 22" Chocolate kettle with ash sweeps to swap into my Gen2 Performer.
That's the only larger Kettle set I'm pursuing right now.