Weber Kettle Club Forums

What's Going On => Website Issues & Suggestions => Topic started by: tb80 on April 05, 2016, 07:10:38 AM

Title: WKC History
Post by: tb80 on April 05, 2016, 07:10:38 AM
Is there a post or thread that talks about the WKC history and how it got started? If not, I think that would be kind of cool to read about.  As much as this group is into Weber history, may be a good idea to keep an accurate history of the beginnings of the WKC
Title: Re: WKC History
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on April 05, 2016, 09:23:46 AM
It all began some 80 years ago, when Troy grew up as a poor black man working on a sharecropper farm ... some things have happened along the way.
Post by: Troy on April 05, 2016, 02:58:17 PM
It all began some 80 years ago, when Troy grew up as a poor black man working on a sharecropper farm ... some things have happened along the way.

Thanks! I haven't laughed that hard since I was a little girl!
Post by: Troy on April 05, 2016, 03:18:58 PM
as for wkc history, i'm sure i've written up the story at least a few times.

i'll look for it when I have a bit more time.

There's also a write-up about the founders and statesman here - http://weberkettleclub.com/meet-the-wkc/
it contains a few tid-bits about the history, but not complete.
Post by: Normal_J_Bird on April 05, 2016, 04:17:25 PM
Thanks for re-posting this. As one of the newer members it's great to read this. Looking forward to more history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Craig on April 05, 2016, 04:21:41 PM
WKC turns 4 this coming June, correct @Troy ? I know that's about the time things got all sorts of quiet at the other place.. I came aboard that August.
Post by: tb80 on April 05, 2016, 06:33:47 PM
as for wkc history, i'm sure i've written up the story at least a few times.

i'll look for it when I have a bit more time.

There's also a write-up about the founders and statesman here - http://weberkettleclub.com/meet-the-wkc/
it contains a few tid-bits about the history, but not complete.
That's a good read. I would be interested in other history as well.
Post by: crowderjd on April 06, 2016, 07:38:56 PM
Thanks for this!
Post by: Craig on April 06, 2016, 09:08:12 PM
I have two dozen kids? [emoji848]
Post by: Jeff on April 07, 2016, 03:51:48 AM
@Troy

"While other kettle heads were posting their collections of 2 or 3 black kettles – Jeff went thermonuclear and trumped everyone with his 10 colorful grills."

Now that sentence made me laugh out loud!  How collecting times have changed over such a short period of time.  So many awesome collections out there now!

What most don't know is my hobby started with my wife seeing a red kettle somewhere and wanting one for us.  The search began, and the rest was history.
Post by: zavod44 on April 07, 2016, 04:42:49 AM
Part of the reason I begged Troy to start this, was the fact that we were goofing around on the other site so much we kept getting yelled at by the moderator and the other members didn't share our special brand of humor.  Plus we were so into the collecting aspect vs. cooking on a WSM, that is was just natural that we have our own site....Troy was at some death metal show in Seattle and I must have sent him 50 messages that we needed to start something of our own....he finally got back tome and the WKC was born.....
Post by: Troy on April 07, 2016, 08:56:44 AM
Part of the reason I begged Troy to start this, was the fact that we were goofing around on the other site so much we kept getting yelled at by the moderator and the other members didn't share our special brand of humor.  Plus we were so into the collecting aspect vs. cooking on a WSM, that is was just natural that we have our own site....Troy was at some death metal show in Seattle and I must have sent him 50 messages that we needed to start something of our own....he finally got back tome and the WKC was born.....

YES. Great memory.
I WAS at a death metal show in Seattle.
I literally flew to Seattle to see Ghost, Mastodon, and OPETH.
Flew in at 2pm flew out at 3am.
13 hours of drunkeness, metal, and a billion text messages from Brian.
Post by: zavod44 on April 07, 2016, 09:23:29 AM
Like every other day..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Post by: tb80 on April 07, 2016, 09:32:03 AM
Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Troy on April 07, 2016, 10:09:17 AM
@Troy

"While other kettle heads were posting their collections of 2 or 3 black kettles – Jeff went thermonuclear and trumped everyone with his 10 colorful grills."

Now that sentence made me laugh out loud!  How collecting times have changed over such a short period of time.  So many awesome collections out there now!

What most don't know is my hobby started with my wife seeing a red kettle somewhere and wanting one for us.  The search began, and the rest was history.

Your wife should be here posting too!
It is amazing how things have changed. And seriously, I consider this all your fault :P
Post by: Troy on April 07, 2016, 10:10:47 AM
Like every other day..

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kinda like a 'turd that wont flush'
I'm glad you pushed me though, so thank you for that.
Post by: Uncle Al on April 07, 2016, 05:58:49 PM
I can tell I'm in good company here.  Great kettle, humor and metal too!
Post by: firedude5015 on April 14, 2016, 12:29:28 PM
To everyone Involved in starting this site. THANK YOU! wonderful group of people, vast amount of knowledge
Post by: Heyjude on May 05, 2016, 07:31:03 PM
Whoa..
Post by: jcnaz on May 05, 2016, 08:00:02 PM
Whoa..

Good to hear from you, AJ.
Where have you been?
[emoji6]
Post by: Heyjude on May 05, 2016, 08:26:12 PM
Its a long story that's best left dead for a while.
Just know I'm still alive and kickin!

Overheard.
"What, no honey, I'm not on that Weber site. No, I promise.  What makes you say that anyway?"
 8)
Post by: swamprb on May 13, 2016, 04:28:48 PM
the Duke invited me
Post by: Red Kettle Rich on May 28, 2016, 06:04:00 PM
I wandered over here in search of the unique knowledge that is here 8)
Post by: Ken Mc on June 08, 2016, 07:31:47 AM
Duke invited me here as well, a few years back. Thank you to ALL you original members! This is a great thing you guys started!