Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Pizza Forum => Topic started by: mcgolden on February 29, 2016, 02:01:54 PM

Title: Do the ProGrate with Tombstone or Baking Steel make a difference?
Post by: mcgolden on February 29, 2016, 02:01:54 PM
I ordered the KettlePizza off Groupon but see that there are other components.  I just wasn't sure how much difference they make.  Anyone here have experience with the Tombstone or Baking Steel?
Title: Re: Do the ProGrate with Tombstone or Baking Steel make a difference?
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on February 29, 2016, 02:06:52 PM
I don't have the steel or the tombstone.  The tombstone looks cool and is a nice thick strone.   Just not sure if it is worth the money.  I hiope a few people with these accesories chime in!
Post by: kettlecook on February 29, 2016, 02:39:48 PM
The tombstone setup would be really cool, but then again I'm just trying to cook one pizza at a time. As for the Baking Steel, I honestly only see that to be a help for folks trying to cook the super thin or authentic Neapolitan pizzas. Both would add more heat up time at the start, but be nice for cooking more consecutive pizzas. I know, just playing Captain Obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Nate on March 01, 2016, 05:10:52 AM
I don't have the tombstone but I do have the steel. I use to set an 1/8" steel plate on top of the ring and that worked good too. The steel was on sale so I figured I'd get it. It works well and gets the heat down on top of the pizza. You can actually just build your own.
Post by: AZRaptor on March 08, 2016, 07:35:22 PM
I'm considering the Prograte w/ Tombstone for my setup because I think the open back and sides would be really convenient for refueling and I like the thickness of the stone. Amazon sells it for $139.99 which is $10 off the KettlePizza site. Anyone know of a cheaper source?