Weber Kettle Club Forums

What's Going On => Website Issues & Suggestions => Topic started by: jdefran on January 29, 2016, 05:00:05 PM

Title: WSM section?
Post by: jdefran on January 29, 2016, 05:00:05 PM
I realize the name of the website has kettle in it but it seems enough kettle heads have a WSM or even a mini WSM to warrant a WSM section.

It might compete with tvwbb site but it doesn't seems very active over there..
Title: Re: WSM section?
Post by: Harleysmoker on January 29, 2016, 05:48:36 PM
Good luck with that,,,,cast iron section was suggested also but that rejected
Post by: Big Dawg on January 30, 2016, 09:09:49 AM
Yeah . . . .

BD
Post by: Troy on January 30, 2016, 03:32:06 PM
We declined a WSM section originally, but it might be time to re-think that.
Post by: iCARRY on January 30, 2016, 05:42:27 PM
I would love a WSM section. I cook a lot on my kettles and the WSM. I don't go to the TVWBB often. Kind of overwhelming. I like this place. Nice and small. Everyone is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: tb80 on January 30, 2016, 08:01:10 PM

I would love a WSM section. I cook a lot on my kettles and the WSM. I don't go to the TVWBB often. Kind of overwhelming. I like this place. Nice and small. Everyone is helpful.

Agreed.

Post by: LightningBoldtz on February 01, 2016, 12:23:53 PM

We had a request earlier to create a "Cast Iron cooking section"  would creating new sections on the site start to take the simplicity out of it?  I agree there are a lot of different sections @ TVWBB, partly why I would like to change some of the existing sections instead of adding new.  Just my opinion.
Post by: tb80 on February 01, 2016, 05:12:39 PM
I wouldn't want a bunch of different sections either but I like the idea of the WSM section.  I also wish there was a way you could look at all the unread threads and not the unread threads by section?
Post by: toolhead on February 01, 2016, 05:28:58 PM
Im in the camp that kettles go hand in hand with wsm ( for most of us).
 The percentage of kettle owners that own wsms imo will only increase...

maybe interesting (if the wkc statesmen agree) to see the posts volume/ content if a wsm section is added....im predicting a wsm subforum would balloon posts volume fairly quickly
Change is the only constant.....
Post by: iCARRY on February 01, 2016, 05:44:34 PM
I am going to make pork burnt ends tomorrow, probably going to use my WSM, probably won't post about it cause it isn't on a kettle. I never post on TVWBB. So the world will probably never see tomorrow's cook.

Title: WSM section?
Post by: kettlecook on February 01, 2016, 06:01:20 PM
Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers are pretty cool, as far as charcoal smokers go. However, Weber KETTLES are  nothing short of ICONIC AND SIMPLY INCREDIBLE. Everyone has their opinion though, and I'm fine either way.

Post by: SmokenJoe on February 01, 2016, 06:18:12 PM
Im in the camp that kettles go hand in hand with wsm ( for most of us).
The percentage of kettle owners that own wsms imo will only increase...

The WKC forum decorum marks it as the hallmark of grilling intercommunications  :D   With several cooking locations to visit, WKC is MY go to location  ...  it's the members and their attitudes  ;)

To add a topic for WSM or not is not for me to decide, I need ONLY decide:  "Too BEEF, or NOT to BEEF".                     SJ
Post by: jfbincypress on February 03, 2016, 03:19:12 AM

I wouldn't want a bunch of different sections either but I like the idea of the WSM section.  I also wish there was a way you could look at all the unread threads and not the unread threads by section?

Tapatalk app does this quite nicely

Post by: jcnaz on February 03, 2016, 04:08:35 AM

Tapatalk app does this quite nicely

X2.
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on February 03, 2016, 06:28:10 AM
@Troy It seems that between this post and the CI post, people are a bit ticked off about not being able to get new sections added.  I myself see this as the weber KETTLE club and think this site does a good job of focusing on Kettles.  To me the WSM falls into the existing categories since it is a Weber product and is bascially a kettle with a large insert in the middle.  I'm wondering if creating a "Other cooking methods" category would take care of creating one more section (and that is it) that could encompass CI, stovetop cooking, oven cooking, open pits, etc...  In the end we are all foodies to some extent so a category for seeing other cooking ideas might not  be so bad.  Also, you can usually adapt most "other" cooking styles to the kettle.  Seems that might be a good way of making everyone happy while not making this site to crazy with tons of subforum catergories like a lot of other sites have.
Post by: iCARRY on February 03, 2016, 07:03:39 AM
Mike, that idea works for me.

Post by: Troy on February 03, 2016, 10:56:38 AM
@Troy It seems that between this post and the CI post, people are a bit ticked off about not being able to get new sections added.  I myself see this as the weber KETTLE club and think this site does a good job of focusing on Kettles.  To me the WSM falls into the existing categories since it is a Weber product and is bascially a kettle with a large insert in the middle.  I'm wondering if creating a "Other cooking methods" category would take care of creating one more section (and that is it) that could encompass CI, stovetop cooking, oven cooking, open pits, etc...  In the end we are all foodies to some extent so a category for seeing other cooking ideas might not  be so bad.  Also, you can usually adapt most "other" cooking styles to the kettle.  Seems that might be a good way of making everyone happy while not making this site to crazy with tons of subforum catergories like a lot of other sites have.

I don't think anyone is 'ticked off' :P

I'm curious as to what WSM section supporters want to discuss regarding the WSM.
Are you looking for a section to talk about mods and techniques? Or share cooks?
There's already a place to share cooks. If anyone can find 15+ WSM topics and link them in a reply here, I'll create a WSM section and move those topics to it.
Post by: Big Dawg on February 03, 2016, 02:18:58 PM
You can try to shoehorn everything into other categories, but that's just as confusing as adding sections. 

While I can understand that CI is really just a tool, like GrillGrates or a rotisserie, and wouldn't need its own section anymore than you need a section for the Vortex.

The WSM is a different beast, though. It's not a cooking tool, it's a cooker.  Plus a large number of Kettle owners, many who are already members here, also own WSMs. 

I'll that there are almost as many WSM owners or potential owners, that it compares with the "many people have a Genesis or Q" that already have their own section.

BD

Post by: iCARRY on February 03, 2016, 02:28:09 PM
I personally would show off all my cooks. Not much to mod or different cooking techniques.

Post by: toolhead on February 03, 2016, 03:57:24 PM
I wont lose sleep whether a wsm section is created.
But its a fourn so continuing this thread discussion.
Personally i never visit the gas subforum..
Id visit the wsm forum as often as the kettle based subforums.
Imo the wsm pairs much tighter with kettles than gas grills.
Again..not gona lose sleep either way.
Post by: toolhead on February 03, 2016, 03:59:43 PM
I actuallt always fire up a performer an hr prior to a wsm cook being done to sear the meat for the final IT 10 degrees to crisp sear the meat
I find the meat straight off a wsm to be too soft.
Post by: Troy on February 03, 2016, 04:19:17 PM

I personally would show off all my cooks. Not much to mod or different cooking techniques.

You can show off all your cooks now, in the forum created just for showing your cooks.
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post by: iCARRY on February 03, 2016, 04:26:18 PM
That's where I have been showing off. Like toolhead said, I will not lose any sleep over it.

Post by: Troy on February 03, 2016, 04:34:35 PM
That's where I have been showing off. Like toolhead said, I will not lose any sleep over it.

Oh ok. I don't see a problem with adding it. I just want to make sure you knew there is a place to show off cooks, and that location won't change.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post by: tb80 on February 03, 2016, 07:30:37 PM
I initially said I would like a WSM section, but as I have thought about it, I am fine either way. I have had WSM questions and was able to post them and get answers without having a dedicated section. There is something to be said for the simplicity of fewer sections.  I guess the only question I would have is do you think the site is losing quality posts that members would be interested in due to the lack of a WSM section?

Post by: EricD on February 04, 2016, 07:01:25 AM
Hey all,
I do not have WSM yet.  It is high on the wish list though.   As stated earlier, I wouldn't lose sleep either way, but...I would absolutely check on a WSM section daily.
There is currently an existing Gas and Electric cooker thread, which IMO, shouldn't be on a Kettle/charcoal specific site.   So, why not a WSM?
I know most everyone on this site helpful and knowledgeable and ANY question that comes up (being a cooker, food, gasser, fuel, etc) will be answered with appropriate responses regardless(to a point) of the section it appears in.
Post by: jdefran on February 04, 2016, 08:40:04 AM
If anyone can find 15+ WSM topics and link them in a reply here, I'll create a WSM section and move those topics to it.
Didn't realize there was a history when I asked the question.

Without hyperlinking all the threads, this might search might about to 15+ WSM threads: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aweberkettleclub+wsm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=site:weberkettleclub.com+wsm&start=0
Post by: Troy on February 04, 2016, 09:27:23 AM
If anyone can find 15+ WSM topics and link them in a reply here, I'll create a WSM section and move those topics to it.
Didn't realize there was a history when I asked the question.

Without hyperlinking all the threads, this might search might about to 15+ WSM threads: https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aweberkettleclub+wsm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=site:weberkettleclub.com+wsm&start=0

I've been waiting for someone to post that :P
according to @pbe gummi bear there are 450 threads with WSM in their title.
Looks like we're getting a WSM section
Post by: 1buckie on February 04, 2016, 10:51:24 AM
What's a WSM?
Post by: EricD on February 04, 2016, 10:56:13 AM
What's a WSM?
A Wicked Smokin' Machine!!!!!
Post by: EricD on February 04, 2016, 10:56:35 AM
no,no,   A Weber Smokin Meats!