Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: crowderjd on January 28, 2016, 09:10:58 AM

Title: Pecan Wood?
Post by: crowderjd on January 28, 2016, 09:10:58 AM
Hello all,

I got a huge bag of pecan wood for smoking last night at Walmart for $4.50.  First off, if this is your thing, you may want to check it out.  Secondly, how do you all feel about pecan?  What is good with?  Let me know!

Title: Re: Pecan Wood?
Post by: Bustin Butt on January 28, 2016, 09:20:49 AM
Pecan is good for nearly every type of cooks. It's mild and depending on what I'm cooking, I would use it with another type of wood. I usually mix pecan with hickory for pork. For poultry I would mix pecan and a fruit wood such as apple or peach. Or pecan alone is good by itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post by: SixZeroFour on January 28, 2016, 09:21:58 AM
Another big fan of Pecan here - really nice stuff!
Post by: brewtownbeatdown on January 28, 2016, 09:22:10 AM
I actually prefer Pecan for cheese, pork & poultry. Nice mellow smoke. Actually, for pork, it works well in combination with Applewood.
Chunks or chips?  How many pounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: 1buckie on January 28, 2016, 09:22:40 AM
Milder cousin of hickory, which, personally, I think is kinda sharp-edged.....will go nice with just about anything.........

Here's a bit of discussion......

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/111012/pecan-wood
Post by: crowderjd on January 28, 2016, 09:58:14 AM
Thanks @1buckie @brewtownbeatdown I got a 10 lb. bag. 
Post by: crowderjd on January 28, 2016, 10:02:27 AM
I usually use either apple or an apple/hickory mix...so I'm excited to try this out. 
Post by: austin87 on January 28, 2016, 10:05:42 AM
Pecan is money
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on January 28, 2016, 10:52:36 AM
I do a lot of smoking with a 50/50 combo of pecan and apple.  Use this combo with all pork smokes.  I'm going to have to check out my local walmart!  @crowderjd -  Was this chips or chunks and how heavy of a bag?  I used to use chips but use only chunks now.  I usually order the weber brand on amazon....5lb bag for $8.97 for either pecan or apple, hickory (I don't really use) and cherry (good for turkeys and other whole birds) are $6.97.
Post by: Bob BQ on January 28, 2016, 11:15:58 AM
Not a fan of Walmart, but a huge fan of smoking with pecan wood. Might have to go check it out... thanks for the tip, @crowderjd . I'll 2nd @MikeRocksTheRed 's question... was it the chips or chunks?
Post by: SoupDogg77 on January 28, 2016, 12:12:54 PM
Interesting topic. I recently bought a bag of Weber chunks (Apple) and on the back of the bag was a little chart showing what the different woods pair well with. Pecan caught my eye was the one with the most choices, and was likely to be my next purchase so thanks for the tip! 

One thing I wanted to include in the same pic was the warning label right below the chart, anyone have any insight into this?

(http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s541/SoupDogg77/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2xx56fsp.jpeg) (http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/SoupDogg77/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2xx56fsp.jpeg.html)
Post by: addicted-to-smoke on January 28, 2016, 12:17:16 PM
Oh great now another thing I gotta worry about.

I've got a lot of applewood with bark still on it (they are tree branches I cut). What about bark?
Post by: brewtownbeatdown on January 28, 2016, 12:18:00 PM

One thing I wanted to include in the same pic was the warning label right below the chart, anyone have any insight into this?
Apparently, anything that is good, is not good for you in the state of CA.  Cow farts lead to cancer in CA.

Post by: brewtownbeatdown on January 28, 2016, 12:18:32 PM

Apparently, anything that is good, is not good for you in the state of CA.  Cow farts lead to cancer in CA (only the good ones).

Post by: brewtownbeatdown on January 28, 2016, 12:19:13 PM

Post by: SoupDogg77 on January 28, 2016, 12:25:18 PM
I wonder if cow farts smell like chocolate milk?  I did a quick Google search and it looks like the 'wood dust' related cancer was from exposure to sawdust and wood dust on the job at a sawmill. Found to be about 50% more at risk.
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on January 28, 2016, 01:05:21 PM
I wonder if cow farts smell like chocolate milk?  I did a quick Google search and it looks like the 'wood dust' related cancer was from exposure to sawdust and wood dust on the job at a sawmill. Found to be about 50% more at risk.

That makes sense.  The issue is with inhaling wood dust, not from actually burning it.

Post by: brewtownbeatdown on January 28, 2016, 02:00:13 PM

I wonder if cow farts smell like chocolate milk?

Sh!t, seems like a WKC scientific experiment should be in order. 

Post by: crowderjd on January 28, 2016, 02:03:51 PM
It was chunks!  I never do chips.
Post by: brewtownbeatdown on January 28, 2016, 03:08:20 PM

It was chunks!  I never do chips.
Thanks for the heads-up. Grabbed two bags on lunch break. I'm good until May. $4.88 for 570cu.ft. (6x the Weber bag) from Western Premium BBQ Products.

Post by: Big Dawg on January 28, 2016, 03:14:47 PM
Stopping there this weekend.  Thanks for the tip!

BD
Post by: landgraftj on January 28, 2016, 03:50:44 PM
Not a big fan on the Weber chunks. Burn too fast and seem really dried out. Get all my wood from fruita wood in Colorado. Excellent products and customer service. Cut fresh when ordered too.
Post by: jdefran on January 29, 2016, 04:55:55 AM
I saw this stuff last weekend after spending $20 at Lowes on some wood chunks. Let us know how it is!
Title: Pecan Wood?
Post by: kettlecook on January 29, 2016, 05:51:28 AM
Pecan produces the mildest smoke of the hickory family, and goes with anything. It also burns at lower temps than oaks or other hickories. I've brought back several loads from my parents place in MS, and it's only negative is that it can be quite knotty and crooked grain, which makes for harder splitting (like the piece below) and a little tougher to get thin blue smoke. So I would HIGHLY recommend already cut and kiln dried pecan.

(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160129/91b16511214752e87b41c24483bb98b6.jpg).

Post by: 1buckie on January 29, 2016, 10:34:27 AM
Pecan produces the mildest smoke of the hickory family, and goes with anything. It also burns at lower temps than oaks or other hickories. I've brought back several loads from my parents place in MS, and it's only negative is that it can be quite knotty and crooked grain, which makes for harder splitting (like the piece below) and a little tougher to get thin blue smoke. So I would HIGHLY recommend already cut and kiln dried pecan.

(http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160129/91b16511214752e87b41c24483bb98b6.jpg).

Thanks for the pic.......that Meathead guy has a blurb about wood that talks about the climate & soil being pretty important as to how trees grow & how the wood turns out...here, sacramento (most trees per square area of any city in the world except Paris) they grow like weeds & are real straight & true, the nuts rot before you can get any good ones & if they don't get curtailed, will crack concrete or foundations they are growing next to........wood's OK for smoking, but there's oak all over the place too & apple that can be had for cheap & free......
Post by: AcrossFromHoss on January 29, 2016, 01:45:27 PM
Love pecan on beef and pork it plays well with oak. Definitly works best as a compliment to other woods over using it alone. Great score enjoy !
Post by: MrHoss on January 29, 2016, 03:37:17 PM
I'm with AFH on this one. Works great with oak. Did some beef jerky a while back and that combo was a big winner.
Post by: crowderjd on January 29, 2016, 08:45:12 PM
Here's the pecan that is at Walmart:

(http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/jason_crowder1/FullSizeRender%2030_zpsahlwx58d.jpg) (http://s1028.photobucket.com/user/jason_crowder1/media/FullSizeRender%2030_zpsahlwx58d.jpg.html)
Post by: Grizz on February 14, 2016, 02:21:34 AM
I lOVE pecan!!!  I have bags of hickory, pecan, and apple, and more times than not, I run out of the pecan before I do the other two. 
Post by: Davescprktl on February 14, 2016, 06:28:28 AM
Like the idea of pecan wood but I don't want to get a whole bag and then realize I do not like it.  There are a lot of pecan trees in Arizona.  I see if I can get some trimmings.
Post by: Craig on February 14, 2016, 06:56:41 PM
Huge pecan fan. Love it with beef and pork. Especially beef!
Post by: pbe gummi bear on February 14, 2016, 09:12:51 PM
I was blown away the first time I smelled pecan smoke wood. It adds a really nice flavor to everything.
Post by: crowderjd on February 14, 2016, 10:00:25 PM
I've been a huge fan of the pecan so far.  Used it with sausages once, and tri tip twice.  Great for both.
Post by: Tommy B on February 17, 2016, 08:53:59 AM
I love pecan but mostly use it for shorter cooks. It's a great smoke wood but I have found it to be a little over powering for long cooks.
Post by: iCARRY on February 17, 2016, 10:58:17 AM
Pecan goes great with my meatloaf. Probably making it this weekend.

Post by: mrbill on February 17, 2016, 06:42:55 PM
while I prefer peach wood(i'm a Georgia born boy and I like the subtle flavor it gives the meat), it's not easy to come by living in Tx. mesquite, hickory, oak and pecan are all easy to get. of those, I prefer pecan. hickory and mesquite, in my opinion, are too strong and overpower the flavor of the meat. oak is useable and gives a decent smokey flavor to some meats, but I feel that pecan gives a better flavor/taste to anything it's used with than oak.
Post by: AZRaptor on February 17, 2016, 07:41:22 PM
I use pecan wood in my reverse flow offset smoker for everything which means I always have splits available to chop up for when I smoke on the kettles.
Post by: Jon R. on February 20, 2016, 03:30:58 PM
Next to mesquite, pecan is my go to wood for smoking.  It is a great wood for smoking all types of meat.
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on February 22, 2016, 09:47:41 AM
Next to mesquite, pecan is my go to wood for smoking.  It is a great wood for smoking all types of meat.

Interesting.   I personally think mequite is a bit to heavy for most of the cooks I do, with one exception...Pizza.  Apple and Pecan are my go to woods for everything else.