Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: Mark Schnell on February 13, 2013, 06:12:35 PM

Title: Cajun Bandit Rotisserie - Finally got here!!! First Cook
Post by: Mark Schnell on February 13, 2013, 06:12:35 PM
I finally took the leap and ordered a Cajun Bandit rotisserie bundle. Can't wait till it gets here!! I'll post pics of my first cook when it comes.  ;D ;D
Title: Re: Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Is On the Way
Post by: 1buckie on February 13, 2013, 06:19:49 PM

Those rigs are great !!!
Congrats on the decision....

that would probably be my pick for a roto also
Post by: javahog2002 on February 13, 2013, 06:28:19 PM
I need one of those. 
Post by: glrasmussen on February 13, 2013, 08:37:44 PM
Congrats! Bring on the pic's.
Post by: Mark Schnell on February 19, 2013, 12:47:25 PM
The roti just got here. Man, is that thing nice. Everything is stainless steel and the welds are super smooth. It fits like a glove on the kettle. I bought the version that fits a kettle and a cajun bandit. Chris Perres at Cajun Bandit was very nice to work with and the service was quick too. I'm leaving for a Disney with fam tomorrow so I can't break it in yet. Next week I'll break it in and post pics.

I bought it not only as a roti but also so I could do turkeys and beer can chicken and have enough clearance. I don't like the top of the turkey being a quarter of an inch from the lid or a beer can chicken getting dirty when it touches the lid.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Post by: Mark Schnell on February 19, 2013, 12:50:05 PM
BTW - I'm a American living in Toronto while I work on my doctorate at the University of Toronto. Chris listed the value as $5 and listed it as a stainless steel bbq part. So no extra duty had to be paid. I've ordered some stuff and then had to pay an extra 25 or 30 bucks for duty when the package arrived. And that's over and above the regular shipping I already paid. So nice one, Chris. Sticking it to the Northern man!! 8)
Post by: Mark Schnell on March 04, 2013, 06:08:25 PM
Okay, I finally got a chance to break the roti in right. I did a few chickens and a whole pineapple, with sweet potato fries underneath. I didn't use enough charcoal for the cold conditions and it took over an hour and half to cook. I finally had to bring the charcoal baskets underneath the chickens to speed things up. Finished the fries in the oven broiler. This was one of the meals when everything turned out ugly but so tasty we could hardly even stand it!!

BTW - This Cajun Bandit roti is an awesome piece of equipment. That thing seals up TIGHT. The only smoke that was escaping was the vent and a tiny bit from each side where the spit fits. (Also known as a spit hole  ;) ) You can't tell that from this photo because the smoke had settled back down around the grill when I snapped the pic.

(http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q616/markschnell/8a11f4c3-6bff-4d7e-b9ae-e26678e575d4_zps74d18f07.jpg)
Post by: Mark Schnell on March 04, 2013, 06:11:00 PM
I know how you guys like photos!! The Crate and Barrel Performer really changes color when it gets hot. When it's cold it is a pretty vibrant shade of green, just like a granny smith apple. But when it's hot the color fades to this dull green. This is a pretty good representation of the color, at least on my monitor

(http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q616/markschnell/a643af19-6548-45c7-9aaa-dad71503e795_zpsfaf63841.jpg)

(http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q616/markschnell/2200b829-ab07-4f2c-b11c-8429bd0928a1_zpsedcb49c8.jpg)

(http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q616/markschnell/3ce101ba-e703-47da-a00e-c0363f116a6f_zpsa7faf93d.jpg)

(http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q616/markschnell/3f1cc368-d66e-495e-9ec2-4ab9e81a1d87_zpsc7af4a2c.jpg)

Title: Re: Cajun Bandit Rotisserie - Finally got here!!! First Cook
Post by: javahog2002 on March 04, 2013, 06:21:41 PM
Very nice.  Any other comments on how it works ?
Post by: Troy on March 04, 2013, 08:11:46 PM
Looks fantastic!! I've done chickens. and i've done pineapples. but never at the same time. BRILLIANT.

I freaking LOVE my cajun bandit rotisserie. I had 2 of them until I gave one to Brian.
Post by: Heyjude on March 04, 2013, 08:27:48 PM
Am I seeing things or does that Pineapple have a smoke ring? Very nice looking birds too..
That has to be a pleasure, having a bbq going woth snow all around..  8)
Post by: Duke on March 04, 2013, 09:02:13 PM
Great pictures and awesome birds and pineapple!  :o
Post by: bob hope on March 04, 2013, 11:32:46 PM
It all looks fantastic!! I hope to score one of those myself one day when the wife isn't looking ;)
Post by: HankB on March 05, 2013, 05:47:03 AM
Looks great! I've got a a rotisserie that fits my gasser but lack the ring for a kettle. I do have a 55 gal drum and plan to make one some day. Won;t be as pretty as the CB unit I'm sure.
Post by: Mark Schnell on March 05, 2013, 08:32:20 AM
Am I seeing things or does that Pineapple have a smoke ring? Very nice looking birds too..
That has to be a pleasure, having a bbq going woth snow all around..  8)

Yeah, it did have a smoke ring. Also, I had cut the skin off before putting it on. But it formed a harder layer on the outside where the pineapple was caramelized. I could have sprinkled it with cinnamon sugar while it was on there but I don't think grilled pineapple needs that. When it is grilled/smoke and served warm it's just like candy. My kids can't eat it fast enough. Next time I'll do two!!
Post by: Mark Schnell on March 05, 2013, 08:39:05 AM
Very nice.  Any other comments on how it works ?

Not sure what else to share, other than it was pretty simple to set up. Just the standard indirect charcoal setup with a some pecan woodchips. I need to do a little more research on the best way to put the chickens on the spit. They were on there kind of sloppy and flopped around a bit. I trussed the birds but need some more practice with that too. The best part is that I will get PLENTY of practice in the future.  ;D The motor that come it runs off two D batteries and did great. I didn't have to worry about a cord, especially one that would be stiff from the cold with this cook.

Another thing I like about this roti is that I can use the ring by itself for doing a standard cook on a turkey and also for beer can chicken when I do that for the novelty of it.

Guys, I can't recommend this thing more highly. A+++
Post by: SmoothSmoke on March 05, 2013, 09:29:20 AM
Looking good man!  I need to get me one of those!  Why did you go Cajun Bandit over OEM? 
Post by: 1911Ron on March 05, 2013, 09:37:20 AM
I like the looks of that unit.  Food looks good also. :)
Post by: Troy on March 05, 2013, 10:25:21 AM
to solve the flopping chicken problem, stick an apple or an onion inside the bird and run the spit through it.
Post by: Mark Schnell on March 05, 2013, 10:31:57 AM
 That is an awesome tip, Troy. You get stability and extra flavor. Love it!
Post by: Mark Schnell on March 05, 2013, 10:37:31 AM
Looking good man!  I need to get me one of those!  Why did you go Cajun Bandit over OEM?

The price point is pretty much the same for both the CB and the Weber units. I've seen the Weber in action, there's nothing wrong with it at all, fine piece of equipment. But I read about, and and have now seen myself, the CB unit has a much better fit on the Weber kettle. I think the CB roti ring fits the kettle base better than the kettle lid does. I've heard some people talk about using gasket material on the Weber version. There wouldn't be anywhere to fit the gasket material in on the CB, its' that snug. It's also stainless and super heavy duty.

Either unit would be fine, I just prefer the CB.
Post by: G on March 06, 2013, 04:34:31 AM
Good lookin meal...+1 on the CB roti unit. 
Post by: SmoothSmoke on March 06, 2013, 10:24:32 AM

The price point is pretty much the same for both the CB and the Weber units. I've seen the Weber in action, there's nothing wrong with it at all, fine piece of equipment. But I read about, and and have now seen myself, the CB unit has a much better fit on the Weber kettle. I think the CB roti ring fits the kettle base better than the kettle lid does. I've heard some people talk about using gasket material on the Weber version. There wouldn't be anywhere to fit the gasket material in on the CB, its' that snug. It's also stainless and super heavy duty.

Either unit would be fine, I just prefer the CB.

Thanks for the info!  That's probably my next accessory.  I'd like to use it for Picanha, a Brazilian cut of beef.   Gyro meat would be great as well!!