Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: tb80 on November 02, 2015, 01:46:03 PM

Title: How many were collectors before finding this website?
Post by: tb80 on November 02, 2015, 01:46:03 PM
The "Before you were a Weber guy or gal" thread got me thinking, which is dangerous.

I never really thought about collecting Webers until I found this website. I didn't even realize there were so many different colors and/or models.  How many of you all were actually collectors prior to this website being started?  Did many of you actually go out and look for old Webers prior to finding this website.  If so, how did you get started being a collector?

Just to be clear, I am not asking how or when you first started using a Weber as a grill.  I am more curious as to how and when you crossed the threshold into a collector of Webers.  What got you into it?

For me, I really only started looking for older and colored Webers over the past 2 years or so, and primarily after finding this website.  Unfortunately, a Red Mastertouch is as "rare" as I have found so far, but I still look every day.  I also like finding good deals on Webers, cleaning them up, and then selling them or giving them to friends/family.
Title: Re: How many were collectors before finding this website?
Post by: Troy on November 02, 2015, 01:58:14 PM
I was a collector before I started the website ;)

There were at least 5 others.
Post by: Troy on November 02, 2015, 02:00:28 PM
oh, and I got into it when I stumbled upon @Jeff and his collection (7 at the time i believe)
I was looking for a red, because that's what my dad had. I found Jeff's collection and decided that I wanted my patio to be like his.
Post by: tb80 on November 02, 2015, 02:02:03 PM
I was a collector before I started the website ;)

There were at least 5 others.

I kind of figured that you were a collector prior to starting the website.   ;D
Post by: firedude5015 on November 02, 2015, 03:18:55 PM
I have had a weber gasser for about 20 years. Bought my 1st kettle a few yeara back and fell in love (Steven Raichlen did it).
I was searching for a way to remove the ash sweep from My son's CL kettle and found this site.
The rest, as they say......so collector..lesa than a year..weber guy..quite a while, the only charcoal grill I had before the kettle was a Portable Kitchen.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post by: Harbormaster on November 02, 2015, 04:27:20 PM
I had a collection of WSMs before I this forum, and a couple of kettles too.

Now I have a whole lot of both!
Post by: SmokenJoe on November 02, 2015, 05:00:27 PM
Do NOT let my wife hear that I might, just might, be a Weber Kettle collector.  You know what I mean !!!                                    SJ
Post by: jfbincypress on November 02, 2015, 05:15:18 PM
I had a 97 (EI code) kettle, a 22" WSM, and a custom build mini-WSM...then I found this site, and those have multiplied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Cochise on November 02, 2015, 05:35:24 PM
Two years ago we went to visit my girlfriends grandfather, who at 92 and partial dementia didn't have the ability to use his old grill any longer. While we were there her mom suggested that we have a bbq. So I said "No problem, I'll handle the grill. Where is it?" She said "its in the back corner of the garage with the charcoal."
CHARCOAL!!!....OH SHIT!

I won't lie I was a bit nervous. I know its hard to believe dear brothers, but up until that time yours truly was strictly a cheap gasser chump, I had never cooked using charcoal before and here I was having to give it my first go for almost her whole family on what turned out to be her grandads old patent pending red MBH. To make matters worse the "charcoal" was a 5+ year old bag of no-name generic grocery store briquettes sitting in a very damp garage. No chimney and no lighter, just a pack of old cigarette matches. The pressure was on....but I sure as hell wasn't going to be the big pussy that spoils everyone's day by giving up and ordering take-out.

Luckily for me the old guy had planted a Christmas tree in the back yard that was probably older then his kettle. The thing was HUGE and I gathered up a bunch of dried needles and pine cones and dumped it all in a big circle of the briquettes and just kept fanning the flames and feeding the fire until it got dry and hot enough to catch. Now I was cookin' with ga....err.....I mean charcoal!
Long story short....I got it done, unfortunately a little too well done for my liking, as I didn't know about 2 zone cooking, but as most of her family are chicks they were just happy it wasn't "cold or bloody".
Bottom line....I was never going to let that happen again and vowed right then and there to become a charcoal man and do that old mans grill proud the next time I touched it. As soon as we got home I hopped on Craigslist and found my first kettle, a black 18 inch plastic handeled OTS that I got for 15 bucks and it just snowballed from there. I had Weberitis, still do and hope I die with it one day as a happy, well fed, old man!
Post by: JDD on November 02, 2015, 07:13:38 PM
I had a 26er, 2 22's, an 18.5", a performer, JJ, GA, and 3 SJ's (all black) prior to joining the WKC. I never thought of myself as a collector just someone who had a thing for kettles and cooking on them. The thought of collecting them never dawned on me until I found this site. I'm definitely a collector now and have added a lot of color to the family.
Post by: pbe gummi bear on November 02, 2015, 07:44:09 PM
I had a mini collection before the WKC existed. I had an 1880 WSM, Lodge Hibachi, 22.5" OTG, CGA, and SJS. Those were the days. TVWBB Charcoal grill forum is full of old-school kettle discussions from the usual suspects. Check out this old post by Troy: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?12582-baby-blue-weber-kettle what a noob he was back then! lol @Troy
Post by: Santo on November 02, 2015, 07:45:58 PM
@Cochise That's quite a trial by fire man.  Thanks for sharing with us.  I hope that patent pending redhead is still in the family!

I wasn't a collector before grabbing my first kettle, and I wouldn't really consider myself a collector now.  Granted, rare and vintage kettles are tough to come by in my area.  My collection will more than likely remain small to WKC standards.  If something more collectible comes along, I'll either cycle it into the group while releasing another, or pass it along to someone here. 
Post by: Erich on November 02, 2015, 08:39:33 PM
I wasn't a collector before joining, they just kinda followed me home. :)

I found this website while looking for ideas for custom bbq counters or carts.  We were doing a backyard remodel and I did NOT want a propane bbq installed in an island.

I still plan to build a custom cart and install a copper performer in it.

My first grill was a black one touch that I used for 20 years until the blades rusted off.  I parked it in the corner and bought a Black Performer.

Then my mom passed away and I got my Dad's patent pending red head. 
This website was an inspiration to get new sweepers and give both grills a good deep cleaning.
Now I pull them out when I need more space for large cooks.
The performer is still my go to grill.
Post by: Lemans on November 03, 2015, 02:49:20 AM
I started with a 22 gold in black.. Looking to learn more about how to get the most out of it
I found this site along with SMF . Wanted a wsm so I bought a SJ and made a mini
At a garage sale Got a new 18 silver for $5.00, got I guy off Craig's list that sold me
2- 22.5 wsm for $50 each.. Saw a copper SJS nib.  Couldn't
Resist..    Yeah this site made me a collector!!!
Post by: Tommy B on November 03, 2015, 05:04:38 AM
I wouldn't consider myself a weber collector. With that being said if a rare color came up for sale near me I would jump on it!
I really like the colored kettles and so far have a small fleet of grills compared to most! I got in to buying kettles after I bought my 18 WSM. I really figured out how to use it and feel in love with charcoal/bbq. Like tools I want to make sure I have the right tool to do the job which led me to buy the rest of my fleet.

Blue SS performer
Red MBH
Black 18" OTG (chopped to a midget)
18 WSM
Mini WSM
lime SJ
black SJ gold
black SJ silver
Post by: Hell Fire Grill on November 03, 2015, 06:17:57 AM
Im not a collector. I have one kettle, and it belongs to someone else.
Post by: brewtownbeatdown on November 03, 2015, 08:02:50 AM
Always been a Weber guy, but don't believe I was a collector. Until I joined the group, I had a 22" OTS w/ roti, a Ranch kettle, & just purchased Performer. Have had SJ, GA, & 22" grills that came & went. Always black.

I'm definitely a collector now!!!  Have a lot of color now w/ 20+ treasures. Thanks to the wealth of info here, my collection is growing & my wallet is shrinking.

Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on November 03, 2015, 08:20:36 AM
I was not a collector before I got my ER code SS Performer last spring.  Started watching this site and didn't add additional grills until I joined here.  I have since added a brand new SJS, Simpsons SJS, an EE  22" Economy kettle, and 2 teleflora minis.  I wouldn't quite call myself a collector yet, and my patio limits my ability to do so.  I will pick up any red haeads or red performers in a heartbeat though if I come across them on CL or other places....and I am always looking!
Post by: Jon on November 03, 2015, 11:25:36 AM
I'm NOT A COLLECTOR!

I'm just a guy who wants a yellow kettle. And maybe a blue and a green. And a Ranch.
Post by: Josh G on November 03, 2015, 11:26:06 AM
Sounds like a lot of people collected prior to the site but it has definitely had an influence on the severity of their addictions.   
Post by: SmokenJoe on November 03, 2015, 12:05:27 PM
Do NOT tell my wife that I have another addition  ...  she said cigars and single malt was enough.   :)  :)                   SJ
Post by: TheDude on November 03, 2015, 12:43:25 PM
Do NOT tell my wife that I have another addition  ...  she said cigars and single malt was enough.   :)  :)                   SJ

I like your style, sir.
Post by: einrej on November 04, 2015, 04:54:08 AM
I had owned Weber grills for years, collector?... No just tools to cook food on. Then this happened and I became a collector.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167848
"Hello,
Can you tell me if my grill is a Weber or an older knock off? Made of heavy gauge steel, 1 lid vent, 1 lower vent. No manufacture names or numbers. No holes in the lower legs for a triangular tray.
What year? Value?
Thanks,
E"

Then harris92 Posted this on the WKC

"It is on the BBQ Brethren"
http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/the-oldest-weber-i-have-ever-seen/

Thanks, harris92.
I came to this site and found a home.
E
Post by: wyd on November 04, 2015, 05:31:14 AM
I wasn't a collector before I found this site but I did have my 22" blue platinum kettle and a blue Genesis gasser.  After finding this site I have added 1 blue 22" gold, 4 brownies, 1 plum, 1 dark green and 1 lime Smokey Joe.  Been worth it and has been a lot of fun.
Post by: crowderjd on November 04, 2015, 06:34:33 AM
I was not a collector...I had one 2009 performer in black.  I now have:

1978 Red MBH
1969-70 Patent Pending Avocado
Blue SS performer
Simpsons Smokey Joe
2014 Copper One Touch Gold
2008 18.5 WSM
And a early 80s brownie waiting for me in STL...

And I'm really looking for the elusive yellow!
Post by: Idahawk on November 04, 2015, 07:19:27 AM
I've been collecting cookware for close to 30 years and I have many areas of interest in that genre . I dig cast iron restoration , old appliances  and wood fired cook stoves. I collect camping cookware and camp stoves , Vintage Coleman water jugs ( there round and come in colors go figure ) ;) waffle irons , coffee pots , cooking utensils , bottle openers and of course smokers and grills from various manufactures.

I few years ago I was gathering some Weber kettles off CL for a friend who was opening a restaurant , I came across an 18.5 Cado that I simply fell in love with and so I decided to do some research on it and found the newly formed WKC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post by: weldboy on November 04, 2015, 08:20:42 AM
I had two kettles before I joined Wkc, now I have eight....
Post by: MrHoss on November 04, 2015, 03:44:44 PM
Didn't think I was a collector till I pulled up my first post. I had Black and Blue OTGs, a 22 WSM and had just driven 4 hours round trip to pick up a Black 22 economy 3 wheeler that had me super exited. Using a Kettle for about a year at that point had me fully into loving the product. Had no need for the Blue OTG or the 3 wheeler but home they came. Frequenting TVWBB as well as this place influenced me..... @harris92 and @Jeff 's pictures made me drool before joining......Harris's "Red Line" shots were a primary motivational factor. So yeah I was on my way to Weberitis already. Getting to know you guys has just made it worse.

(http://i67.tinypic.com/2psgjgw.jpg)

The Red MBH beside the Aristocrat is from Harris and I believe it is in those Red Line pictures that got me going....how cool is that boys. Damn cool I say.
Post by: harris92 on November 07, 2015, 10:30:49 AM
@MrHoss  The "New Red Line" is on the agenda.  The line has grown in length.   :)
Post by: 1buckie on November 08, 2015, 12:37:40 PM
Prior to being here, people would search me out just to tell me where to find a free kettle they saw.....or search me out to give me one they had or had found.....

My first post:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/this-is-great-!!!/

The nicer (& more recent) ones are ALL due to WKC & the great folks here !!!!!
Post by: Lumpy Coal on November 08, 2015, 01:44:16 PM

Prior to being here, people would search me out just to tell me where to find a free kettle they saw.....or search me out to give me one they had or had found.....

My first post:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/introduce-yourself/this-is-great-!!!/

The nicer (& more recent) ones are ALL due to WKC & the great folks here !!!!!

Nice!  A pillar of the kettle community eh?!   

That last picture is inspiring....I need to learn to make turds!  Never had em, never heard of em till this site but man they look good. 
Post by: swamprb on November 09, 2015, 02:04:15 AM
I collected kettles to use for drum smoker parts.
Post by: WNC on November 09, 2015, 04:52:39 PM
I'd guess I'd say I was just a grilling and BBQ enthusiast before this site.

Cooked on cheap gassers when I was a teenager. (When I thought I knew everything about grilling...)
Eventually led to a chargriller smokin' pro and a "rescued" smokey joe. (Through college...)
The chargriller led to a WSM (And a different site...)
The WSM led me here. (My favorite place on the internet...)
Which led to this

(http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y516/justinperson/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfnlgoxoe.jpg) (http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/justinperson/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfnlgoxoe.jpg.html)

Weberitus...
Post by: SmokenJoe on November 09, 2015, 06:55:00 PM
@WNC  That's a mighty fine kettle family ;D                              SJ
Post by: zavod44 on November 09, 2015, 06:59:26 PM
I was a collector before I told Troy he should start this site.....
Post by: tb80 on February 02, 2016, 06:40:33 PM
Just read back over these and love to hear about how people got into Webers.

Post by: Josh G on February 02, 2016, 06:54:46 PM
Before I came across this site I thought I was a weirdo who collected kettles.  I was always searching for different colors and sizes.  I would go on another site (dedicated to weber smokers) and not hear much about kettles.  When I found this site I realized I was not alone and not crazy.  I have showed my wife tons of your guys pictures and said see other people are into it too.  She is now ok with the collecting and actually gets excited about new colors.  I am still thought of as having a strange hobby and being the Weber guy around my family and friends but at least I know now there are a lot of us. 
Post by: kettlecook on February 02, 2016, 06:58:24 PM
No collector here. As I've posted, 99.9% of what you see down here in the south is plain black Webers...so I've had my bases covered, from my little SJ in a bag up to my big 26.75" OTG. But I'd been lurking from time to time here and I've kept on having to tell myself that it's wrong to want another man's pretty grill! And right now I'm saving for a BOAT! But ssshhhhh..don't tell the Missus, but after that I'm gonna get me some pretty colored kettles, by God, one way or another! She thinks I have a lot of grills and smokers now. Lol. I'm gonna sell a couple of the smokers...but there will be replacements!

Post by: AZRaptor on February 02, 2016, 07:29:13 PM
I frequently visit the bbq-brethren site quite a bit and one day last January I realized, "Holy Cow! I don't have a Weber kettle!". It's such a staple of American BBQ history, I figured I should have one. Shortly after that I found my first kettle, a black gas-assist SS Performer. I don't remember how I originally found this site (probably from a @1buckie post) but after starting to visit this site and seeing so many cool kettles I started feeling the itch for more.

Over the past year I've gone full Weber addict. I now have two SS Performers, three Smokey Joes, two black 22s, a brownie 18, and "Roswell" a 1988 Ranch Kettle. The addiction hasn't been limited to kettles. I've also gotten a Weber Q320, a pretty cool Gas Kettle Performer and I even picked up a Weber Fire Pit and a Weber Chill cooler.
Post by: TheDude on February 02, 2016, 08:14:06 PM
Im a cooker, not a collector. However, after finding this place and learning to use a kettle properly… I usually use two at a time. Most of mine are black, but just picked up a 11' copper Target kettle. I really want a blue! Favorite color. Do I want some unique kettles? Yes. Do I want a $15k Glen Blue? No. Do my friends and family think I'm crazy? Yes. Do they love for me to cook for them? Yes.
Title: How many were collectors before finding this website?
Post by: RumBar on February 03, 2016, 07:00:59 AM
For 12 years I cooked on a black OT because I knew everything tasted better on charcoal but for those 12 years I was a complete hack! I knew nothing of zone cooking and I never ever adjusted the vents, I left them wide open. I thought the bottom vent was just for cleaning the ashes out. While the food was good it was never consistent, some times burnt other times too rare and possibly cold. Over those 12 years I gained a green OTG that my wife bought me for one Father's Day, I didn't even know they came in colors and then a few years ago I came across a new blue Corona labeled grill which had to have. But the grilling was still a struggle, somehow I had seen guys do the bare hand over the coals to guess at the temperature and then prodding the meat with tongs to judge the doneness of the meat. So last spring I came across a picture of a copper Performer and thought the table would be handy so I ordered it and while I was waiting for it to arrive I thought I'd look on line for something new to try on the new grill. Wow! There are a lot of recipes on the Internet! Well somehow I found this site and corrected my grilling techniques and I am making huge strides in my grilling abilities. I feel I'm at the point of food porn! So to the question of I am I a collector? No, but my stable of 4 has increased to 10 now. Thanks to all of you. Gah!

●|||||||●
Post by: toolhead on February 03, 2016, 12:35:50 PM
I started with 18" wsm..then the  14" wsm...then a  few performers ...

Interesting point .i first saw a redhead ss performer when researching how to cook on a kettle/performer..theres a youtube video of a guy grillling on a redhead ssp...when i saw the flipup ss table ..the ssp search was on....