Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: Troy on September 04, 2015, 10:34:42 AM

Title: Burger tips?
Post by: Troy on September 04, 2015, 10:34:42 AM
I'm an expert at eating burgers, but not making them.

Lets compile all of our best tips and advice for grilling burgers here.

Whoever posts the tip that gets the most THANK YOU votes will get a free WKC Edition Weber Wooden Handle (http://amzn.to/1JU0yuO)

These tips will publish to the front page, with credit to you!
Title: Re: Burger tips?
Post by: Santo on September 04, 2015, 11:46:34 AM
I'll play...
My go to moves lately are mixing in chopped bacon, ground sausage, and/or cheese into the ground beef.  I picked this up from my butcher shop that makes infallible bacon, cheddar burger patties (at $2 a burger).  The extra fat and oil from the meat and/or cheese make the burger incredibly juicy.  Even well done patties remain somewhat juicy.  Closest thing to an official recipe would be as follows:
5 lbs ground beef (roughly 85/15 mix)
1 lb bacon (rind off)
1 lb shredded cheddar cheese (usually mild, but depends what I have available)
Combine in large mixing bowl with freshly washed hands.  Once mixed, form into 6oz patties and you’re good to go.  I prefer to indirect heat my burgers and flip often to minimize the juice from dripping out (seems to work very well).  Also, sometimes I'll throw a chunk or two of pecan wood into the kettle for some added smoke flavor.  Salt and pepper to taste right before the grill.  Hit em with more or another cheese towards the end.  Dress how you see fit (lettuce, tomato, onions, etc.)

I’ve recently been experimenting, with great success, adding chopped mango into jalapeno chorizo.  I’m thinking I may turn this into a burger of some sort.

EDIT: Edit going in while there is only 3 replies to this thread.  Not everyone will agree but do not smash the burger with a spatula at any point.  Leave it alone, she's happy being chubby.  ;D
Post by: Winz on September 04, 2015, 12:51:04 PM
Tip #1 - Always use a Weber Charcoal grill.  Food cooked on a char-broil just tastes bad.

Tip #2 - For big burgers (1/2 lb or more), use the same technique as a steak.  Reverse sear or sear and slide, (your preference) will ensure an even cooked burger to the internal temp you want.

Tip #3 - Just like a steak, a resting period ensures a juicy burger.  By cracking open a beer and letting it rest for 10 minutes after cooking, you will be rewarded with burger juice running down your face.

Winz
Post by: Scott Zee on September 04, 2015, 01:35:46 PM
I always cook my burgers on a cast iron griddle. First direct for a good sear then indirect to temp..enjoy yur turds while the burgers rest. That and a good beer is winner winner burger dinner.      8)
Post by: mrbill on September 04, 2015, 02:40:25 PM
when forming the patties, press the center down with your thumb leaving a dent/divot. helps the middle finish sooner to prevent drying/burning on the perimeter.
add a dash of Worcestershire, a bit of rub/steak seasoning and some finely chopped/sliced onions to the meat and mix well before forming patties. your mouth will thank you.
ground turkey burgers are much better than they sound.
Post by: Santo on September 04, 2015, 02:42:10 PM
Quick interjection, despite my participation in this thread, I am going to thank others for good tips that I didn't mention or have never heard before.  I'm here for knowledge as well as all the pretty pictures  :).  Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
Post by: LightningBoldtz on September 04, 2015, 05:53:58 PM
Minimum 15% fat.
Forming patties do not over pack.
The dimple in the patty works.
Do not over season, salt and pepper on the outside of the patty 15 minutes before cooking.
Do not press burgers on the grill.

Mainly keep it simple sam.
Post by: Troy on September 04, 2015, 09:44:11 PM
I always cook my burgers on a cast iron griddle. First direct for a good sear then indirect to temp..enjoy yur turds while the burgers rest. That and a good beer is winner winner burger dinner.      8)

I gotta have that grilled flavor though! :P
Post by: Troy on September 04, 2015, 09:45:41 PM
Here's my tip.

toss half an onion onto the coals before putting your patties on.
the onion makes a great smoke and adds some killer flavor to the burger

If you have beef fat trimmings, put them over the coals too to add even more beefy smoke flavor
Post by: Scott Zee on September 05, 2015, 02:51:28 AM
@Troy   I should have been a little more specific. 1st on the cast iron to sear...then on grate to temp. ALWAYS look and taste great.       8)
Post by: WNC on September 05, 2015, 07:10:16 AM
Tip 1: It's been mentioned already, but bares repeating. Don't over work the meat, handle as little as possible to form your patties. Over working will make your burger tougher.

Tip 2: (may just be more of a personal preference) I prefer thinner patties than thick, like just slightly thicker than what you get at a fast food place. The reason being is I like to double up and make double cheeseburgers. More crusty edges on two patties than one, and more cheesy goodness.

They cook faster, but you can still get a good crust and melted cheese before they get to well done.
Post by: Remmy700P on September 05, 2015, 07:44:41 AM
My patties are made with:

- 80/20 hamburger
- grated cheeses (cheddar, monterey jack, blue cheese)
- minced onion
- crumbled cooked bacon
- Worchestershire
- My homemade beef dry rub
- an egg
- panko bread crumbs

Before cooking, the outside is painted with grapeseed oil and sprinkled with more of the beef dry rub. It makes a KILLER crust. Dimple the center and give it to the flames!
Post by: 1buckie on September 05, 2015, 09:38:23 AM
@Remmy700P   I've seen your cooks.......likely a spectacular burger also !!!!!!
Post by: Craig on September 05, 2015, 10:35:51 AM
1. Classic direct grilling.

2. An egg goes a long way

3. Panko gives it a nice crust.

4. Pressing down on the parties is a no no.
Post by: Craig on September 05, 2015, 10:37:37 AM
Oh and once in a while it's fun to fry them over the coals in a CI pan or griddle. Diner style.
Post by: fedex on September 05, 2015, 01:54:11 PM
I'm in.

One pound of Chorizo per 3 pounds of ground beef.  Add a cup of ground Nacho Cheese Doritos as a binder.  Top with fresh grilled Jalapeños.  One awesome burger.
Post by: ditkafanchris on September 06, 2015, 04:54:14 PM
I love a good burger.  I would marry one.

1.  70/30 if you want the juices a-really flowin (80/20 if the wife is around).

2.  Cheaper meat needs more love (i.e. If you're making a brisket or chorizo burger etc...ignore this) but mix in some flavor.  Some BBQ sauce (1/4 cup per pound) not only flavors the meat, but aids in caramelization.  This will also loosen the meat up, so use an egg per pound and a small amount of panko (it also absorbs moisture, so don't overdo it or you'll just have a meatloaf burger).

3.  As previously stated - indent (more than you think, it'll ball up if you don't) sear HOT and move over.

4.  Fold all four corners of your cheese inward (the burger is round, why use square cheese?  More for you!)  Cheese those bad boys, close the lid and get your bottom buns ready (see next step about buns).

4.  Bun prep (I prefer a good brioche), after your patties are made (make them, then back in the fridge, not room temp like steak) and while the grill is heating up, melt some butter and brush the inside of each bun and bring them out with the patties.  When you cheese up the burgers, toss them on to toast them.  You can actually hear the butter sizzle.  Also, give each bun a press (the edges keep the middle off the grate, and we want some grill marks, dammit!).

5.  Prep all cold toppings in advance, the last thing you want to be doing is slicing a nice big red onion while you're staring at your lovely burger, you'll cut yourself! 

6.  Pre-cook your bacon and keep it crispy and ready and put it on right before the cheese.  Let the cheese melt over it and form mini-mountain range of gooey love, while also holding the bacon in place!

Some fun variations-

Taco burger.  Mix in Mexican seasonings, top with Monterey Jack and guac, yum!

Worchestichire (I guessed on spelling, and I ain't fixing it!) is your friend with simple burger.  Brings out a richness.  It also makes turkey burgers taste more "beefy."

Turkey burgers are dry, right?  That's because they're lean, so that is almost a plus because you get to pick your fat!  I make a Mediterranean turkey burger - saute spinach and garlic in more olive oil than normal, mix that in the mean with some feta.  Wow, it's good.

Finally, and most importantly - always use a Weber.  The ritual, the smell, the friends and family that gather around as you get to be a mad scientist on that bad boy, it's all love.  I believe Weber's were made round because they bring people together.  And always make a couple of extra.

(http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/06/4afd650d3588546f87027340fdc079e9.jpg)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Shoestringshop on September 07, 2015, 08:55:24 AM
OK love to make burgers on the grill! This is my goto recipe. Makes about (36) 2oz sliders. I'll buy the buns at "White Castle" for $.15 each or $1.29 for 12 at "Food 4 Less"

Ground chuck - 2 lbs
Ground beef 80/20 - 2lbs
Tastefully Simple - onion onion seasoning - 1tbl
Tastefully Simple - garlic garlic seasoning - 1 tbl
Tastefully Simple - Season Salt - 1tbl
Egg - 1
Breadcrumbs - 1/4 to 1/2

I'll cook this to medium top with grilled onions, swiss cheese, bacon, and even guacamole!
*** note: If freezing for later cooking I do not use the EGG
Post by: jimmy_dong on September 07, 2015, 10:09:07 AM
Grind your own brisket
Grate an onion, purple, red, white, yellow, spanish, vidalia, whatever floats your boat
Mix the beef, onion together. DO NOT SQUEEZE. I said mix gingerly. S&P to taste
Form into whatever size patty floats your boat
Reverse sear to render some of the onion and brisket fat
Cook to desired temp

Top with cheese, mushrooms, bacon, ham, fried egg, guacamole, avacado, etc.

I use minimal seasoning to be able to taste the beef. Thats the point...right?
Post by: BBQ Jack on September 07, 2015, 03:44:43 PM
The Weber 6483 Original Burger Press is worth the $10.00, it turns out perfect size burgers with the dimple in the middle.

When grilling burgers some direct flame kiss adds to the flavor, you just have to flip them often to avoid burning.  Wood chips add also add flavor.  80/20 ground chuck is the best for burgers, and don't forget salt and pepper.
Post by: Nate on September 07, 2015, 05:47:38 PM
I like flat top grilled burgers the best. they always come out juicer than juicy. I typically use 80/20 ground beef but if it's leaner, no biggie, it still comes out super juicy on the flat top. I flatten the ground beef into large thin patties, add a little sea salt & black pepper to one side then down on the hot side of the griddle it goes. I doesn't take long to get the carmelization I want. I flip, let it cook for a few seconds then pull it over to the cool. Add cheese and cover with my wok lid to melt the cheese faster.  Add whatever toppings I feel like that day. If onions or jalapeños for example, they get grilled up before adding to my burger. The pretzel bun is great for a burger IMO.
Post by: austin87 on September 07, 2015, 09:27:43 PM
Burgers always taste better with a cold beer 8)
Post by: Metal Mike on September 08, 2015, 05:18:57 AM
Here's my tip.

toss half an onion onto the coals before putting your patties on.
the onion makes a great smoke and adds some killer flavor to the burger

If you have beef fat trimmings, put them over the coals too to add even more beefy smoke flavor

"The Burnt offering(s)" I Always save/freeze the top & tail when cutting onions or trimming meats = plenty to toss in.

I use minimal seasoning to be able to taste the beef. Thats the point...right?

Mixing = Meatloaf sandwiches
it's good & but has a diff space.

If the patty needs pre-dimple it's just too tight/compressed, form loosely & use spatula to move, tongs will break up a gently formed juicy burger.

+ My go to burger seasoning is a simple dusting of Brown/Mushroom gravy mix
Post by: kaz on September 08, 2015, 07:22:12 AM
My Tips!

1. Weber Kettle!

2. When using the weber kettle bank your coals to one half side of the grill.

3. Patty up your burgers with as little handling as possible, with a spoon sized dent in the middle. Drop salt a little heavier than you think and grind pepper over both sides. Big half pound burgers are great!

4. Drop some smoke wood in the coals (mesquite or hickory are awesome here). Put them big ole loose burgers on the indirect side for around 4-5 minutes. Then grab the front handle on the grill and with a spatula or hot pad rotate the whole grate around so the burgers are over the coals, to sear them, this will hold the burger together. The grill will smoke like crazy and after about 2 minutes, flip the burgers over to check out that awesome burger. Let the other side sear for 2 more smokey minutes, then rotate the grill again or simply move them back over to the indirect side. Go grab your cheese and buns, and put 2 peices of cheese on the grillmasters! And start toasting up the buns. Bonus points if you put a little smear of mayo on the bun before toasting them. Once the buns are done and the cheese is melted the burgers are ready!

5. Enjoy with friends, family, and cold drinks!
Post by: kaz on September 08, 2015, 07:43:58 AM
Smash Burger Tips!

I also enjoy a great fried burger, cooked on a griddle or cast iron pan. Here are my tips for cooking a killer diner style burger.

1. Get your grill going with a heavy flat iron skillet or plancha. Oil it well and get it to hot! 450-500 degrees works good!

2. While this is getting hot, Prep the meat. You want to get a large bowl and gently break up all the meat, you want to get it very loose with little handling. Just kinda fluffing the hamburger meat.

3. When the grill is hot grab a handful of loose meat and put it on your frying pan. Then put a piece of parchment paper or unwaxed butcher paper on top and then flatten it down with your spatula! Push down the burger under the paper for 10 seconds, then remove and discard the paper.

4. Drop salt heavily and grind some fresh pepper on top now.

5. After about a minute or when the edges look good and crusty, flip your burger.

6. Top with extra cheese! And shut the lid to melt, or set a stainless steel bowl over top of the burger to melt the cheese! Some water then the bowl works best if you use LOTS of shredded cheese!

7. Toast your buns in the greasy burger fat left on the plancha.

8. These burgers come out thin, so a double is great!

9. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!

My current favorite is
The double cheddar, guacamole, bacon, alfalfa sprouts, carmelized onions, and fresh sliced jalepenos on a brioche bun.

Post by: firedude5015 on September 09, 2015, 07:20:31 AM
My go to burger recipe:
Grate a medium onion into your ground beef (80/20)
mix in brown mustard, worchestrshire, little hot sauce and House seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder)
finally, I add shredded sharp cheddar and diced jalapenos. then make patties...big patties, press a dimple in the center.
grill setup is 2 zone.
sear burgers over hot side for 4 minutes, move to cool side for 4 minutes
flip burgers, sear on hot side 4 minutes, move to cool side 4 minutes.
cover and let em rest for 5 minutes, then build your burger.
Moist, tender, cheesy...goodness every time
Post by: Jon on September 09, 2015, 11:41:45 PM
Bear with me. I'm not very informative, but at least I'm wordy and boring.

I don't really have "tips" as much as a procedure that I go by for burgers.

My definition of a burger is MEAT. Done. Nothing else. Not counting condiments. Salt, pepper, soy, Worcestershire whatever are ok. If I add onion, bell pepper or whatever - then it becomes a meat loaf burger. Not judging, it's your burger, put in it what you want. I don't want to start a turf war over what a burger is. Kinda like the BBQ vs Grilling thing. Hey! Did you know that the word "baribicu" is traced back to the Taino people, and that that word really means...OK, I'll stop there.

The process: Pretty much a reverse sear. Two zone cook. I only learned this year that it was a reverse sear; I thought it was self-defense against large fires. Rule number one is the internal temp of the burger. It's in my list of rules, but let's start with that in mind. Use a good instant read thermometer - it will make you a better cook. I don't always get to sear each side, because if the burger is up to temp, it is done  (use the unseared side to add cheese. Cheese hides the lack of sear marks.) Anyway, two zones and start with the burgers on the cold zone. Cook to 110. Check that temp because of your timer. My timer is either the ten minute timer alarm I set or because I finished my second beer. Either of those alarms is a justifiable reason to check the grill. When the burgers are at 110 sear take the lid off and let the coals heat up. Sear each burger for at least a minute on the first side, and check the temp. If the burger is up to your desired doneness, don't cook the other side. If there are flareups, put the lid back on. Set the seared burger on the cold side of the grill and add the cheese. When all the burgers are done, toast the buns and serve. This style of cooking the burgers leave a LOT of room for error, or third beer before checking temps. It won't develop the the same crust that a starting sear will create, but the burgers have a better chance of being the desired finishing temperature.

Rules:
The internal temp of the burger. Nobody will not eat your food because of a lack of sear, seasoning or whatever. They WILL put your burger down for under or overdone that they just don't like.
Two heat zones. I've ruined a lot of food because I was cocky about how good a cook I was. Away from the coals is your safe zone. And burgers can cause a BIG fire. Don't fill the entire grill with coals.
Don't burn nothin. Burnt is not a valid flavor profile. (Yeah, Alton Brown quote)
Pick the right cheeses. Not everyone like chiles, or Gorganzola. So don't make a decision that "Ultimate Blue Cheese Burgers" would be awesome! Or, "This Habenero Pepper Jack is awesome!" Make some options available.
Prep a lot of extras. Ok, I'm embellishing, that's not much of a rule. Folks will eat the basic burger. But they will LOVE the burger that has all the add-ons.
Post by: blksabbath on September 11, 2015, 06:23:26 AM
I'm with Jon on this one....just the meat (80/20 ground sirloin usually), salt and pepper with minimal handling.  I guess I do a quick sear on both sides which holds things together, then indirect until reaches desired doneness using a thermapen.  I aim for 140-145 then pull them off.

Melt a slice of colby-jack on a toasted pretzel bun, add the burger, top with woeber's horseradish mayo, enjoy!
Post by: RumBar on September 11, 2015, 05:03:24 PM

Smash Burger Tips!

I also enjoy a great fried burger, cooked on a griddle or cast iron pan. Here are my tips for cooking a killer diner style burger.

1. Get your grill going with a heavy flat iron skillet or plancha. Oil it well and get it to hot! 450-500 degrees works good!

2. While this is getting hot, Prep the meat. You want to get a large bowl and gently break up all the meat, you want to get it very loose with little handling. Just kinda fluffing the hamburger meat.

3. When the grill is hot grab a handful of loose meat and put it on your frying pan. Then put a piece of parchment paper or unwaxed butcher paper on top and then flatten it down with your spatula! Push down the burger under the paper for 10 seconds, then remove and discard the paper.

4. Drop salt heavily and grind some fresh pepper on top now.

5. After about a minute or when the edges look good and crusty, flip your burger.

6. Top with extra cheese! And shut the lid to melt, or set a stainless steel bowl over top of the burger to melt the cheese! Some water then the bowl works best if you use LOTS of shredded cheese!

7. Toast your buns in the greasy burger fat left on the plancha.

8. These burgers come out thin, so a double is great!

9. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!

My current favorite is
The double cheddar, guacamole, bacon, alfalfa sprouts, carmelized onions, and fresh sliced jalepenos on a brioche bun.
KAZ
Thanks for the recipe! I expanded on it a bit and my wife and son loved it.
I used your technique but prior to putting the beef on I sautéed some onion slices and mushrooms then sat them aside while I made the crispy burgers. I then placed the shrooms and onions with a slice of Swiss cheese between two patties and topped with a second slice of Swiss. To see a 10 year old boy slurp up onions like spaghetti and eat an entire double burger was pure joy. I don't think we'll ever go to Steak and Shake again.
Thank you.
(http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/11/51ffb8786ecbc64748ecdb45323c7d2f.jpg)

●|||||||●
Post by: kaz on September 12, 2015, 06:05:20 AM
Heck yeah RumBar!

Those look great! And nice additions, I'm glad you like the technique, and that your son loves the burgers!

Thank you for trying it out and reporting back.
Post by: MikeRocksTheRed on September 25, 2015, 01:27:22 PM
Kind of surprised there aren't more replies on this...

My "$50 burgers" as I like to call them since adding a few of the ingredients makes it a little more expensive than a kind of plain burger.

I apologize on advance for not having measurements for the ingredients, but I generally don't measure when seasoning!

Ground beef needs to be 85/15 or preferably 80/20
Season beef with:
Garlic powder
Onion Powder
Seasoned Salt (can replace with koecher salt)
Black Pepper
Worcestershire Sauce (enough to moisten the meat, but not so much that the patty won't stay together)
Now mix in the expensive ingredients (not really that expensive):
chopped up bacon (raw)
blue cheese crumbles (can be replaced with any cheese really)

Don't over mix the ground beef, and form patties with out compacting them too much.

Grill over direct heat.  The bacon chunnks on the outside will get crispy, the bacon on the inside will keep it juicy.  Cook to your desired doneness!  Enjoy!
Title: Burger tips?
Post by: feeshrman on September 27, 2015, 06:28:50 PM
I've always loved burgers just like most all of you.  And Just like most here, I have tried the gamet of tricks, tips, rubs, and more. They are most all good solid advice that work very  well to enhance your burger experience. The newest/greatest thing I have done is to change my beef burger to a buffalo burger. WHAT a Difference it makes. Buffalo is naturally lean and has a very strong, but not over whelming beefy taste that sort of reminds me of the home-grown slaughtered beef we had when I was younger. I like simple seasonings such as salt, onions, pepper, and a dash worchester sauce. Dimple in the middle and grill medium/rare to medium, place cheese on the patties as they rest. Butter and grill the buns and dress them according to your taste.
Post by: LaTuFu on September 28, 2015, 06:27:15 AM
"Quick" burgers during the week or when I don't feel like spending a lot of time on prep:

80/20 Ground is my preference.

1/3-1/2 lb patties, patted out by hand, dimple in in the middle.  Light coating of Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder.

Before I came back to the kettle way of thinking, I would throw them on the gasser and cook them to med well (usually guessing by appearance, no thermometer), burning all the hair off my arms dealing with flare ups along the way.

Now, my preferred method has become reverse sear.  I cook on indirect until the internal temp is around 110, then sear both sides until the temp is around 130-135. 

If I have more time to prep, I mix the beef with:
Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Worchestershire Sauce, Panko, 1 apple freshly chopped, Baby Portabella mushrooms freshly chopped.  The mushrooms and apples will add a lot of moisture to the meat, so the breadcrumbs are a must.

I also substitute Ground Venison for the Ground Beef on this recipe with excellent results.  The mushrooms and apples really go well with the venison.  The Venison and Ground Beef can be completely swapped out, or blended together as desired.

I just got a "stuffed burger" press a week ago, first time around with the press we ended up with 2 lb burgers each.  Tasty, but huge.  I'm going to play around with it some more soon.
Post by: AcrossFromHoss on October 02, 2015, 09:28:10 PM
My secret to a great burger is a well toasted bun. A brushing of mayo works much better than butter because of the burning point of the oil. Grilled cheese makers use this technique to form a more consistent brown and crispy exterior. Works awesome on burger buns. Thanks for the tips fellas lots of great advise.

As for the patty itself I separate mine into patties right on the styrofoam salt and pepper both sides, thumb print and grill. No rounding the edges or squishing the meat down. I prefer the texture of the meat that way and love the crispy bits around the edges that get maroon and smokey
Post by: Jon on October 02, 2015, 11:08:21 PM
AFH, I'd like to add your well written advice with the real reason mayo works better than butter. Because MAYO IS GREAT!

But I have to confess, I usually don't anything to the buns, I just put 'em over the hot spot and toast them. The mayo goes on when the burgers are built. And home-made mayo is the best.

For the patty, I think that you are making a smash burger, kinda? With the crispy edges?
Post by: AcrossFromHoss on October 03, 2015, 03:04:51 PM
Jon, I checked out that smash burger place and it looks like they have a similar crunch. Carl's Jr is my usual burger destination while in the states but i definitely plan on giving them a try. My burgers always get a final high heat sear before pulling them off which gives the loose edges that crunch.

Haha and you're bang on about the mayo.
Post by: Metal Mike on October 08, 2015, 12:08:55 PM

Keep a couple freshly grilled cheese sandwiches in abeyance to substitute the standard bun
Post by: MeatAndPotatos on October 11, 2015, 12:23:11 PM
HRM.... OK I'll bite.
Just stumbled onto this forum from tapatalk... Love looking at pictures of other peoples cooks for ideas/inspiration/motivation....
AND I happen to be making a burger this morning (tbh not that big a coincidence  :P ). Soooo.... Hopefully its not bad form for me to blow this thread up with pictures? Figured this would be better then the standard into post since I just registered :P

I'm a fan of a fairly basic burger... I have to admit I cringe when I see 6inch thick patties with chunks of peppers hanging out. (I may not be the smartest, or most experianced cook... But what I lack I more then make up for with unsubstantiated and bias opinion:D )

I think when cooking its important to keep in mind the terroir... That is why I always cook in an alley on an old keg :P
(http://i.imgur.com/dREDIRA.jpg?1)

Picked up the weber charcoal baskets for $7 at the begining of summer, They are a nice way to hold your coals together. Took that back one apart, and use it to brace coals against the back of the kettle during slow cooks.
(http://i.imgur.com/2MIZIGo.jpg?1)

Usually have leftover coal... I just pile fresh on top. Grab your blowtorch and light at both corners and in the middle.
(http://i.imgur.com/tXWJVUc.jpg?1)

To be honest... I am talking way too much here. The real answer to how to make a good hamburger is easy, 1 word. Bacon.
used to be a big fan of pan fried. But the truth is indirect bbq bacon is rediculous. I start the lump burning, and let it go enough to get hot and start burning off the initial fumes. I then drop it into the kettle, and cook bacon while the coal bed burns in and gets nice and even.
(http://i.imgur.com/0xXYhGK.jpg?2)
Why not add some hickory? I tend to just put wood above the coals... Move it to a slightly colder spot for less smoke, or directly over the coals for too much smoke.

NOW THE BURGER!
80/20 walmart beef :D
Not overly obsesed with buying the best beef... When I spend more I haven't noticed it being revolutionary... But not the plastic tube of ground beef... just say no to that.
I like 1/4lb for a small burger or 1/3 for normal... Not too much bigger, if you want more make a double. Never been a thick burger guy.
Salt & Pepper, light garlic and decent/med onion powder.
(http://i.imgur.com/oLcxaEN.jpg?1)
I find that ground beef tends to shrink in the direction of its... "strands"? for lack of a better word. I like to make sure they go in all directions so it does not football.
I also make my patties like I make a pizza. GENTLY flattening the meat in the middle out towards the outside putting  a rim on it, so the middle doesn't end up thicker.

I throw the pattie on when the bacon looks to be nearing done. One thing I have found is that I like the slow cooked BBQ 1 step above pan fried with reguards to doneness. What comes off the BBQ looking WAY to done, will be like crispy pan fried. If the bacon looks like normal pan fried, it will seem on the lower side of cooked coming off the grill.
(http://i.imgur.com/unblzsJ.jpg?2)
I was worried this bacon may have been too far along when I was throwing the pattie on, so I pulled it to the very far side (the one piece that is not is REAL thick).
This pattie is about ready to be flipped. I look at the coloring of the beef on the circumfrence of the pattie, at the bottom as well as the juices forming on top and pay attention to the smell coming off the grill.

(http://i.imgur.com/1UT1tfj.jpg?1)
Not bad... I keep the lid down the whole time, obviously it just makes for better pictures up :) At this point I am running for the cheese and bun. I put the cheese on like... Half way through the second side.

Depending on the thickness of the burger, I'll pull it over for some indirect cooking to finish. Toasting the buns only takes ~30 seconds... keep em moving. Once they are OK I set them in the indirect area and let it all finish up
(http://i.imgur.com/3NasbQx.jpg?1)

(http://i.imgur.com/WRYqy07.jpg?1)
And thats that. Maybe coulda bumped it up over 1/3 lb by a little considering these bigger buns... but man it was good.
Sorry if too many pictures... but how can you have to much weber/food porn?
   :D
Post by: Johnpv on October 20, 2015, 09:31:08 AM
I don't have a recipe to add just that try substituting lamb for the beef some time.  Lamb burgers are sooo damn good.