Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: ClubChapin on August 13, 2015, 12:53:50 PM

Title: ChefSteps: Line your bowl with foil = Better crust..
Post by: ClubChapin on August 13, 2015, 12:53:50 PM
This looks interesting.  I've had good luck with what I've tried or learned from these guys.

May have to give this a shot.

http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-get-a-killer-crust-on-grilled-meats?utm_source=ChefSteps&utm_campaign=c886c61282-get_a_killer_crust_on_grilled_meats&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a61ebdcaa6-c886c61282-130269305 (http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/tips-tricks-get-a-killer-crust-on-grilled-meats?utm_source=ChefSteps&utm_campaign=c886c61282-get_a_killer_crust_on_grilled_meats&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a61ebdcaa6-c886c61282-130269305)
Title: Re: ChefSteps: Line your bowl with foil = Better crust..
Post by: austin87 on August 13, 2015, 04:25:19 PM
You beat me to it, I was going to ask about this as well. If this works (I'm skeptical) then it would theoretically also protect vintage kettles from crazing.

I guess the only way to test it is with an IR thermometer? I'll see if I can figure out a good way to test it and actually get to it.
Post by: ClubChapin on August 13, 2015, 04:29:50 PM
I guess the only way to test it is with an IR thermometer? I'll see if I can figure out a good way to test it and actually get to it.

How about a side by side shoot out with this as the only variable?

Could exaggerate the effect with a control kettle that is especially krusty.
Post by: Troy on August 13, 2015, 07:18:20 PM
I'll bet a dollar that it doesn't do shit.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Post by: Craig on August 13, 2015, 08:42:17 PM

Always the optimist... [emoji14]
Post by: Matt_T on August 13, 2015, 09:50:09 PM
Look I'm all for trying out new things but this is a bust.

In theory this would work but in reality I don't see this adding any value to a high heat sear on a short cook. Just my opinion - maybe I'm the idiot for not ever doing this but I'll take my chances.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Post by: Johnpv on August 14, 2015, 02:41:22 AM
I have to side with Troy and Matt here.  I would imagine a simple test of a thermometer at your cooking grate would tell you this isn't doing anything, or not making enough of a different to take the time to do it.
Post by: BBQ Jack on August 14, 2015, 03:09:47 AM
Since aluminum foil is excellent at radiating heat I think it would have the effect that they say.  Just think how quickly foil cools off when you cover food with it on your grill or oven, it is because the heat is quickly redirected from it.  It also radiates light similar to a mirror. If you are not careful when you line the grill with it on a sunny day you might get the sun light directed straight to your eyeballs.  If this happens you will be the first to know.
Post by: Metal Mike on August 14, 2015, 04:29:30 AM
Krusty meat means should've been fresher/refrigerated, not a goal of article...

"Here's why this works: Typically, the dark sides of your grill will pull heat away from the heat source and absorb it"

No, typically you preheat the damn thing (benefits food & heat helps clean too)

& FOIL BURNS EASY & BREAKS DOWN WHEN OVERHEAT
(when it is brittle that means you're breathing in & eating it's former resilience)
Post by: Metal Mike on August 14, 2015, 04:34:00 AM
I will write an article about Microwaving Lighter Fluid & see if these guys will publish it (chefsteps.poo)
Post by: CharliefromLI on August 14, 2015, 05:37:51 AM

Always the optimist... [emoji14]
Post by: Johnpv on August 14, 2015, 05:47:07 AM
Since aluminum foil is excellent at radiating heat I think it would have the effect that they say.  Just think how quickly foil cools off when you cover food with it on your grill or oven, it is because the heat is quickly redirected from it.  It also radiates light similar to a mirror. If you are not careful when you line the grill with it on a sunny day you might get the sun light directed straight to your eyeballs.  If this happens you will be the first to know.

The inside of the kettle is really good at radiating heat as well.  I really don't think this is going to make enough of a difference to make the effort worth it.  I'm not a scientist but I'm not sure if the angle that this would reflect heat back at the meat would actually cause it to hit where it needs to to help create the crust on the meat.   It seems to me the radiant heat this would create would be more around the meat than directly hitting the top and bottom of the meat where you're trying to create the crust. 
Post by: Texmech on August 14, 2015, 05:55:01 AM
I will subscribe to this thread and wait to see if anybody tries it. heck all it cost is a try and some foil. I may do it the next time I cook steaks. Regarding trying to get a crust on something like a steak, I have also tried reverse searing. I am looking for that perfect way to cook steaks on a Weber. I do agree with the video, you just can't get a Weber type grill hot enough.
Post by: Craig on August 14, 2015, 06:39:21 AM
I was just being a smartass with Troy...
Post by: austin87 on August 14, 2015, 07:11:11 AM
I will subscribe to this thread and wait to see if anybody tries it. heck all it cost is a try and some foil. I may do it the next time I cook steaks. Regarding trying to get a crust on something like a steak, I have also tried reverse searing. I am looking for that perfect way to cook steaks on a Weber. I do agree with the video, you just can't get a Weber type grill hot enough.

If you aren't getting hot enough you aren't using enough fuel or your fuel isn't getting enough oxygen (or you are using KBB - that crap doesn't burn hot at all). Pile briquettes 2 deep in a tight pack or use more lump. Make sure meat is dry, not wet (wet steams). The notion that a Weber doesn't get hot enough for a good sear is ridiculous. With the right fuel, enough oxygen, and the right fuel configuration, 1000 degrees at grate level is easily within reach*

*Please do not do this on vintage kettles!!!
Post by: Metal Mike on August 14, 2015, 07:47:35 AM
HEAT FOIL CAREFUL

"...foils are fragile and are sometimes laminated to other materials such as plastics or paper to make them more useful."

"...difference in the finish has led to the perception that favouring a side has an effect when cooking. While many believe that the different properties keep heat out when wrapped with the shiny finish facing out, and keep heat in with the shiny finish facing inwards, the actual difference is imperceptible without instrumentation...

Foil may have a non-stick coating
..."

^^ thank you wikipedia ^^

The actual reflectivity of aluminium foil is approx 85%, I would assume clean porcelain coated steel would be fairly close as it has thickness to hold & reflect more than foil measured by thousandths of an inch thickness
Post by: Troy on August 14, 2015, 08:42:43 AM

It's really not difficult to get a Weber up to 800+ degrees.
Post by: Craig on August 14, 2015, 03:52:37 PM
My dad ruined his Genesis once by using foil to clean his grates
Post by: BBQ Jack on August 15, 2015, 06:26:54 AM
Re: Foil

"The surface of aluminum has the ability NOT TO ABSORB, but TO REFLECT 95% of the infrared rays which strike it. Since aluminum foil has such a low mass to air ratio, very little conduction can take place, particularly when only 5% of the rays are absorbed".

I got the above from the below link:

http://www.radiantbarrier.com/physics-of-foil.htm

Foil is probably the best material to radiate/reflect heat and if you look around the internet it used by many in barbeque set-ups.
I am not into physics but know from experience it works great as a heat shield.  As for burning up, it will not burn up when used in low and slow smoking.  If you line your grill with it like shown at chef steps it will not burn or melt as it is reflecting the heat. It might burn if you place lit charcoal on it, but I am not sure why anyone would want to do this.  The Reynolds foil you buy at the supermarket is not toxic.

My own preference is to generate searing heat using charcoal rails or Weber baskets and doubt I would waste foil on the chef steps set up.  But for low and slow cooking foil is the best heat shield (e.g.) if you want to keep your food that is closest to the charcoal from being burned on one side or to re-direct heat.  I can easily get a 5 hour burn at 250 without reloading using a Weber basket, charcoal rails, and a foil heat shield. With only the charcoal rails as described in previous posts I can set up a chamber that is larger and holds more charcoal than the smokenator or the SnS.
Post by: 1buckie on August 15, 2015, 07:04:15 AM
Ask Z about reflectivity......  @BBcue-Z

(http://i62.tinypic.com/2nldd03.jpg)

From here:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/my-previous-rotis-turkey/msg139775/#msg139775

He uses it for all kinds of setups to reflect & contain heat.....

When foil comes into too high of heat contact, it will off-gas some noxious fumes......I've had people refuse to eat stuff wrapped & cooked in it..............

There is some science (& risk) to the thing of burning it to the point it disintegrates.....
Post by: BBQ Jack on August 15, 2015, 08:09:18 AM
I have never seen anything like that before.  I agree, I would not wrap food with it and then grill. Buckie, your profile pic, is that your girlfriend?
Post by: 1buckie on August 15, 2015, 09:03:30 AM
I have never seen anything like that before.  I agree, I would not wrap food with it and then grill. Buckie, your profile pic, is that your girlfriend?

I wrap taters & corn all the time......usually, it's not in direct contact with the coal, except for potatoes sometimes.........common sense prevails in the uses for foil.............

Not my girlfriend, just some gal eating BBQ''d corn.......likely cooked in foil...... 8)

(http://i1223.photobucket.com/albums/dd520/1buckie/2014/imagescornav.jpg)
Post by: Troy on August 15, 2015, 02:53:12 PM
foil reflects infrared, but not convection.
And not ALL of the radiant heat from charcoal is infrared

The inside of the grill is going to reflect radiant heat as well, not as efficiently as the foil - but its going to bounce around the kettle.
Most of the cooking in a kettle is done via convection if you're cooking indirect.
If you're cooking direct, foil under the coals or around the inside of the bowl will reflect more of the radiant heat - but I doubt it will be enough to make a difference.
I'll give it a try though.
Post by: effinUker on August 16, 2015, 08:23:53 AM
Just think how quickly foil cools off when you cover food with it on your grill or oven, it is because the heat is quickly redirected from it.

Foil cools off quickly because it's thin, it doesn't have enough mass to stay hot.
Post by: MacEggs on August 16, 2015, 10:36:38 AM

Yup.  @Troy , I buried the needle on my Performer yesterday using lump.  Beauty!

(http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n615/MacEggs/IMG_5126.jpg) (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/MacEggs/media/IMG_5126.jpg.html)
Post by: CharliefromLI on August 17, 2015, 03:14:11 AM

Yup.  @Troy , I buried the needle on my Performer yesterday using lump.  Beauty!

(http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n615/MacEggs/IMG_5126.jpg) (http://s1142.photobucket.com/user/MacEggs/media/IMG_5126.jpg.html)

I did the same on Saturday and not specifically on purpose :) :) :)
Looks like its Cajun Blackened Chicken tonight...
Post by: Metal Mike on August 18, 2015, 08:26:11 AM
...When foil comes into too high of heat contact, it will off-gas some noxious fumes......I've had people refuse to eat stuff wrapped & cooked in it..............

There is some science (& risk) to the thing of burning it to the point it disintegrates.....
Post by: Idahawk on August 19, 2015, 08:23:30 AM
The kettle design forces a circulation of the heat , the foil isn't going to stop that circulation and suddenly force it inward to the meat .

What this guy discovered is my trick for cooking greasy burgers and meatloaf on the kettle , line the sides of your bowl with foil and it makes clean up a snap :)
I'll just stick you using my tongs and searing the sides of my meat the old fashioned way

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post by: J Buck on August 21, 2015, 04:57:47 AM
Agree. Good Fuel + Air + Time to preheat = Burn it if you a'int watching. And I'm lousy at math.
Post by: blieb on August 30, 2015, 12:21:07 PM
This only works if you're above the equator.