Weber Kettle Club Forums

Cooking & Food Talk => Charcoal Grilling & BBQ => Topic started by: Troy on August 04, 2015, 07:59:23 PM

Title: this is what drives me nuts about KCBS and all the internet bbq snobbery
Post by: Troy on August 04, 2015, 07:59:23 PM
(http://www.livememe.com/nihdyox.jpg)
Title: Re: this is what drives me nuts about KCBS and all the internet bbq snobbery
Post by: Andrew on August 04, 2015, 08:29:01 PM
Cook and eat it the way YOU like it. Thats my smoking and grilling philosophy. My ribs would never win a competition, nor my pork shoulder not my brisket either, my chicken would come in last place. But I like it, my family likes it, and dogone it, that makes it right.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: this is what drives me nuts about KCBS and all the internet bbq snobbery
Post by: Troy on August 04, 2015, 08:58:14 PM
Cook and eat it the way YOU like it. Thats my smoking and grilling philosophy. My ribs would never win a competition, nor my pork shoulder not my brisket either, my chicken would come in last place. But I like it, my family likes it, and dogone it, that makes it right.

Exactly!
Post by: 1911Ron on August 05, 2015, 01:02:27 AM

Preach on Brother preach on!
Post by: WNC on August 05, 2015, 05:29:27 AM
Plus all the MSG riddled injections and rubs...
Post by: Craig on August 05, 2015, 07:49:57 AM
Agreed! Food preferences are all that.... PERSONAL PREFERENCE and NOT fact. Do the necessary research if a beginner but at the end of the day it's all personal taste. If it tastes good to you and your family likes it, why worry? There's people out there that prefer well done steaks and turkey/chicken breast cooked to 180 and dry. Not my preference but if that is what you like than who the hell am I to judge!?
Post by: LaTuFu on August 05, 2015, 08:59:14 AM
I watch the pitmaster shows with complete fascination. I'm amazed at the complicated process they go through to do chicken thighs.

Remove the skins, scrape them with a knife until the skins have almost nothing left on them. Doctor them up, put stuff on top of and under the skin for flavor. Then carefully wrap the skin back over the thigh.

It's hardly realistic food at that point. I'm sure it's really tasty, but I doubt they're worth all that extra hard work.
Post by: CharliefromLI on August 05, 2015, 10:17:13 AM
Also nearly every award winning competitor i've seen says they would never cook for guests the way they cook for judges.
Post by: LaTuFu on August 05, 2015, 11:20:49 AM
I've heard that too. Myron Mixon said that in an interview I read recently.

That's what I don't understand. Why go to great lengths to doctor the food like that if it isn't an accurate portrayal of the real food served to real people?
Post by: Winz on August 05, 2015, 12:20:19 PM
Since when does a contest represent how we should think of food?

For example, The Miss America judging is based on:
For me, the criteria is:To each their own....

Winz
Post by: Craig on August 05, 2015, 02:06:25 PM

• Lifestyle and Fitness in Swimsuit - 15%
  • Evening Wear - 20%
  • Talent - 35%
  • Private Interview - 25%
  • On-Stage Question – 5
For me, the criteria is:
  • Do you have a personality that is fun to be around - 70%
  • Are you a little bit slutty - 15%
To each their own....

Winz

My only tweak to that one is:

Old fashioned Girl Next Door look with a hidden layer of dirty fun: 15%

&

Do they like BBQ 1,000%
Post by: powermatt99 on August 06, 2015, 05:41:15 AM
I would love to see a BBQ competition where competitors are given the tools that the average person has at their disposal.
Post by: MacEggs on August 06, 2015, 05:46:39 AM
I would love to see a BBQ competition where competitors are given the tools that the average person has at their disposal.

@powermatt99 … I guess you're talking about a gas grill competition? … Just kidding, of course.  I knew what you meant.  ;D

Where I live, that's pretty much what the average person has.  I was once that guy, then I saw the light … and the smoke.  ;)
Post by: Metal Mike on August 06, 2015, 10:39:41 AM
Fact: My still Roll a Bigger Fattie...
Post by: EricD on August 07, 2015, 09:18:44 AM

Aren't there 'backyard' BBQ comps where that is the requirement?  ie, kettles, WSM, etc.
Post by: TheDude on August 07, 2015, 12:59:03 PM

Aren't there 'backyard' BBQ comps where that is the requirement?  ie, kettles, WSM, etc.

Chopped pit master championship. Finalie is this week. They get a 26", a wsm, a gasser and a hot plate.
Post by: MrHoss on August 08, 2015, 05:53:45 AM
For me, the criteria is:

Just about fell off my chair reading that last one Winz!!! I think you and me would get along.
Post by: Jack Fate on August 08, 2015, 02:50:41 PM
Ok googled kcbs I'll stick with SR on pbs
Post by: Winz on August 08, 2015, 04:18:33 PM

Just about fell off my chair reading that last one Winz!!! I think you and me would get along.

I have no doubt!

Winz
Post by: bthorn9435 on August 09, 2015, 04:48:53 AM
Yeah I win these every weekend!!! Seriously though I would love to watch a show that wasn't hung up on
the one bite judging system. How about they feed a crowd and let them decide! And the crowd is made up of
people that aren't related to the cooks! Who wouldn't show up to be on TV and eat free BBQ
Post by: swamprb on August 12, 2015, 10:41:23 PM
I dunno?

I'm kinda into using injecting, marinating, Jaccarding, curing agents, Amino's, Phosphates, glutamates, MSG, layering rubs, combining sauces and cooking meats spot on for ungrateful and opinionated professional eaters. I had my 15 minutes of fame!
Post by: Johnpv on August 14, 2015, 02:47:06 AM
Troy I'm right there with you.  The competitive BBQ world is a weird one to me.  I love to watch the shows about it, but I don't think I'd want to eat any of the food.  I think it's the whole 1 bite mentality thing.  I've seen a few competitors who say they do all this stuff to have an amazing one bite, but there's no way anyone could sit down and eat a meal of this stuff.  You'd be sick in a heartbeat.  The FBA seems a little less intense about that compared to KCBS, but not hugely different.

I'd love to see a BBQ competition, or group that focused on edible, real world BBQ, and not the shit they do at a usual KCBS competition. 
Post by: Qreps on August 16, 2015, 05:59:17 AM
I think those BBQ shows are entertaining ,but send the wrong  message about how to BBQ. Some of the best BBQ I've eaten or made only had salt , pepper and  smoke on it , it was amazing. I don't need rubs and injections or BBQ sauce that tastes like candy. People watch these shows and think that's what BBQ should be. I'd love to see more honest BBQ shows. I've been watching BBQ with Franklin on pbs " I know his anti-weber ", but he has great honest BBQ
Post by: wyd on August 17, 2015, 10:48:06 AM

Couldn't agree more.  Every has different tastes and what we think tastes good.  I make mine to what I like, my family and friends like.  I love watching comps but could never do well at them.  On top of that most of the stuff guys are grilling are on rigs that cost more than every grill I own put together.  I love to go to a comp that is for Weber kettles only and no electronics on them and then see how the food turns out.
Post by: bigredmf on August 17, 2015, 11:40:06 AM
Why have a public barbecue competition where no one cept for judges can taste the barbecue?

I prefer the ones we have
Locally where they smoke a thousand racks over three days and then the customers decide.

Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: 80DGY on August 18, 2015, 06:03:59 AM

• Evening Wear - 20%
  • Talent - 35%
  • Private Interview - 25%
  • On-Stage Question – 5
For me, the criteria is:
To each their own....

Winz

(http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g330/coloradogirl86/Clapping/tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn_zps4103fd0c.gif)
Post by: blieb on August 30, 2015, 12:15:19 PM
Great thread!
Post by: Metal Mike on September 03, 2015, 12:04:58 PM
it's Epic...
Post by: Red Kettle Rich on September 05, 2015, 06:15:09 PM
I dunno?

I'm kinda into using injecting, marinating, Jaccarding, curing agents, Amino's, Phosphates, glutamates, MSG, layering rubs, combining sauces and cooking meats spot on for ungrateful and opinionated professional eaters. I had my 15 minutes of fame!
A KCBS BBQ competition cook's opinion of BBQ Judges?
Post by: Tommy B on September 14, 2015, 07:31:32 AM
I would a BBQ competition judged by the top restaurant pit masters around the country... not KCBS trained judges etc. Have these people judge the food based on taste and what people like. not presentation/sauce etc.
I watched the franklin BBQ on competition and couldn't believe they skinned their chicken. The reattached the skin to the chicken to cook because that's how the judges likes it haha
Post by: swamprb on September 16, 2015, 04:31:04 AM
I suppose I get a kick watching BBQ Pitmasters and seeing the highly regarded BBQ restaurant chefs getting their asses waxed by guys that can cook and present the Four Meats like nobodys business. But then on the other hand those same guys get thrown a curveball when it comes to things like Salmon, meatloaf, sausage, Alligator or Buffalo brisket.
Post by: LaTuFu on September 16, 2015, 11:21:17 AM
True, but then again, if you ask a lot of competition pitmasters, they'll tell you the way they cook in competition is completely different than how they cook for family and friends.

Michael Character tried to cook "his way" on BBQ Pitmasters in season 1 & 2, using his recipes that were successful in his restaurant and catering business.  He routinely got his butt handed to him in the comps.  He only started placing after he gave in and started doing it the same way everybody else was doing it.
Post by: Red Kettle Rich on September 17, 2015, 06:50:15 PM
KCBS Judges are trained to give the highest rating to BBQ that meets the KCBS standards, But the KCBS standards are only standard in and around Kansas City.  In KC pulled pork is made with KC style BBQ sauce - Sweet, tomatoey smokey with molasses.   In parts of the Carolina's BBQ sauce is primarily made of vinegar and hot peppers.  Pulled pork is vinegary and peppery as a result - BUT friends on mine from the Carolina's who compete in KCBS contests use KC style sauce at KCBS contests as that is what the judges look for.  IMHO thats NOT good for BBQ in our country.
Post by: Jon on September 17, 2015, 09:18:44 PM
The KCBS standards are what makes it possible to judge the contests. If all styles were allowed, then it would be impossible to pick a winner in my opinion. That being said...

I think that shows like BBQ Pitmasters are fun to watch, but they don't make me want to fire up a massive stickburner or push a button to start a pellet unit. And I mostly don't want to cook food just like theirs. (And Myron Mixon mostly seems like an unlikable dickweed.) I get more excited when someone on here posts a pick showing an imaginative way to use charcoal baskets or whatever. Something that I can actually try without buying a trailer hitch.

Quote I heard from a pitmaster (not on a show): "We cook the beef and the pork in the barbecue. The chicken we just cook on that little grill over there, on account of it ain't meat."
Post by: Troy on September 18, 2015, 03:03:08 PM
i understand the need to standardize the judging methods, that makes total sense.

The problem isn't with the standards, the problem is with people applying those KCBS standards to the real world and getting all retarded and snobbish about it.
"EOWWWWWW, those ribs are OVERCOOKED. Don't you know they need to be BITE THROUGH and not fall off the bone. NEWWWWB"

Drives me nuts. (and i used to be one of them)
Post by: Craig on September 18, 2015, 04:18:37 PM

"EOWWWWWW, those ribs are OVERCOOKED. Don't you know they need to be BITE THROUGH and not fall off the bone. NEWWWWB"

(http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/18/408f702b052b54dd9b30074ff87273ee.jpg)
Post by: JDLones on September 19, 2015, 04:31:47 PM

(http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/18/408f702b052b54dd9b30074ff87273ee.jpg)
Bwahahahaaaa!!!

Jonathan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: Red Kettle Rich on September 19, 2015, 06:11:44 PM
@Jon We agree on Myron - but I'v never really met or interacted with him.  I totally agree with you on the necessity of standardization but I have to ask - What is the possible effect of standardization?  Will there only be one way to do ribs??   Brisket the KCBS way or no way??  Is that where we want our hobby to go?  No surprises when you eat 'Q in a different city, everyone does it the same way??

@Troy In any group of people there will be some Dickwads - Apparently it even got to you 8)
Post by: Jon on September 20, 2015, 07:50:41 AM
I have never met the guy, but season one episode one of BBQ Pitmasters formed my opinion. Further episodes haven't changed anything.

I don't think regional differences will go away. People will always be proud of the way it is done where they are from. My son and I took a trip a couple of years ago and intentionally had barbecue from left to right across the country at several places. It was all good. The major difference was the sauces used. Our favorite turned out to be a place in North Carolina, made by a young Greek immigrant who had only been in the country for a few years. So go figure - the barbecue is pretty much all good.
Post by: swamprb on September 20, 2015, 11:29:53 AM
I dunno?

A KCBS BBQ competition cook's opinion of BBQ Judges?

KCBS isn't the only game in town! Pacific Northwest BBQ Association is one of the oldest and largest next to KCBS with more sanctioned events in WA, OR, ID, MT and Western Canada than the big kid on the block.

(http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/DSC_0153.jpg)

I've cooked and assisted at several KCBS and PNWBA CBJ Classes here in Washington state, and cooked good to mediocre meats for training new judges. I'll be honest when I say that I've heard comments like "that was the worst BBQ I've ever tasted!". (my wife was one!)  And I don't blame them for that. But when I have assisted at PNWBA Pitmaster Classes, they are BBQ 101 type instruction, I kind of enjoy the basics. I see very few go on to Competition BBQ.

This season I kind of took a break from the comp scene, both my teammate and myself had home, family and work issues that came first and the hobby came in last. But over the past few years I've attended classes from some great teams. Teams that cook KBCS, CBBQA, IBCA, FBA, GBA, MABA, NEBS etc. and a few that have been on BBQ Pitmasters or The Kingsford Challenge.
More often, I was looking to pick up on regional flavors and techniques AND cooking styles.
You know you are in the right place when VERY successful teams are in attendance. I tasted some very good comp BBQ from those classes, but nothing that rocked my world. Techniques is what I'm after and how to recover when things go south. From the instruction I've gotten from teams that are successful on specific or multiple pit types, I've gotten the confidence to be able to cook on practically anything. Nothing really groundbreaking, but more "A-HA moments" that I can count.

Backyard BBQ, Comp BBQ and Commercial BBQ are 3 different things.

Simple is best!
Post by: EddieMemphis on September 23, 2015, 08:10:33 PM
Rule #1- Turn off the television.
Rule #2- Opinions are like a$$holes... they all stink!
Rule #3- Eat, drink and be merry!

Eddie
Post by: Metal Mike on September 24, 2015, 06:09:56 AM
ditto ^^^
-don't watch tv*
-who cares about actors opinions
-bringing next round

*On cooking shows:
You can really tell legitimate (chef/cooks) from way of camera cuts & the way people hold the "tools" most are BS artist/actors