Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: ClubChapin on February 21, 2015, 05:25:58 PM

Title: Rust Removal
Post by: ClubChapin on February 21, 2015, 05:25:58 PM
I'm trying to restore 3 SS Performers.

All three have some rust inside the square tubes. 

(http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l546/Chapin_Place/SS%20Performer/2014-09-09170851_zps56e76860.jpg)

Is there a good way to remove this rust and then protect the inside of the tubes?

Poking around, it looks like an Oxalic Acid bath is popular is the bicycle community to de-rust the inside of bicycle tubes. Phosphoric acid, Citric Acid and Vinegar baths are other chemical means I've found for removing rust.

Does anyone here have any experience with acid baths and removing rust, or experience removing rust from the inside of SS Perf frame tubes?  Ideally, the paint on the outside of the frames can be preserved.  It is in pretty good shape.

Thanks.
Title: Re: Rust Removal
Post by: 1buckie on February 21, 2015, 05:39:46 PM
I'm not finding the thread I remember about this specifically.......
@pbe gummi bear may remember where.......
He has a long involved fix up thread, but a lot of the pictures have been moved so I'm not sure if it was the right write-up?

Citric Acid and / or Vinegar bath seems like it would be enough, with some manner of preserving afterwards.....
Post by: pbe gummi bear on February 21, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
You can use a rust converter, naval jelly, or other rust treatment. It would be best to strip out all that rust though using a string and brush that can go internally. Personally I just shot some spray paint into there to help lee the rust at bay. There's almost a product called frame saver that the bike guys use to coat their tube id's to keep them from rusting. If you can find a trough, a vinegar soak is cheap and strips rust. I just soaked some tools this week and it worked like a charm.
Post by: TexasOnion on February 21, 2015, 05:58:04 PM
has anyone ever used butcher block oil to keep rust at bay  after the rust has been removed  ///// like on a older kettle that you don`t want to paint to keep it more original
Post by: ClubChapin on February 21, 2015, 06:08:33 PM
What about using the brush/string method, then following it up with a paint on rust paint, like Por-15 or some rustoleum product?  Would that stop the rust?
Post by: ClubChapin on February 21, 2015, 06:41:52 PM
Any suggestions of a vessel that I could use to soak a SS Perf Frame, I think 43" x 25" (largest frame member)?
Post by: mrbill on February 21, 2015, 07:07:21 PM
Any suggestions of a vessel that I could use to soak a SS Perf Frame, I think 43" x 25" (largest frame member)?

wading pool, bathtub, plastic bag of sufficient size
Post by: 1buckie on February 22, 2015, 07:31:59 AM
What about using the brush/string method, then following it up with a paint on rust paint, like Por-15 or some rustoleum product?  Would that stop the rust?

POR-15 eats rust & assimilates it just like the BORG.....that would certainly work......

Gutter trough or a piece of heavy rubber pipe cut apart......depends on how many times you might do this as to how much to spend on something.....
Personally, I got good @ dumpster diving for things like that..... :o 8)
Post by: ClubChapin on February 22, 2015, 11:12:34 AM
POR-15 eats rust & assimilates it just like the BORG.....that would certainly work......

Thanks.  Is POR-15 something I copuld simply pour inside the tube and coat all sides?  That might be the best and easiest solution.  Or, is it a 2 step process?

Rust and metal work is all new to me.
Post by: Erich on February 22, 2015, 12:47:55 PM
Use this stuff.  It will not harm the paint.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-gallon-evapo-rust-rust-remover-96433.html

If your parts are flat you can make a box out of 4x4's and then drape heavy black plastic over them to make a shallow pool.
Post by: ClubChapin on May 06, 2015, 11:58:02 AM
So, I think the reality is that I am not going to soak the frame member to remove rust.  It is going to be too much effort and mess for me.

I need to find an easier solution.  I'd like to get a couple of these put back together by the end of the month.

Is there a paint (rust oleum, por-15, frame saver, or other) or coating I can spray or pour in the frame tubes that will stop existing rust and prevent future rust?
Post by: Troy on May 06, 2015, 12:49:20 PM
you wouldn't need to soak for the inside of the tube, just spray the evaporust in liberally with a spray bottle and then seal the ends for a day. hose it out, dry it out, then spray your rustoleum inside.
Post by: Jeep on May 06, 2015, 12:52:42 PM
I use por 15 on my Jeeps.  drop a brush through it to get rid of any scale then pour the POR 15 in... it will convert any surface rust to "Not Rust" and keep a protective coating.  Let dry and reassemble.

-Jeep
Post by: ClubChapin on May 06, 2015, 02:45:58 PM
you wouldn't need to soak for the inside of the tube, just spray the evaporust in liberally with a spray bottle and then seal the ends for a day. hose it out, dry it out, then spray your rustoleum inside.

Wouldn't hosing it out introduce water to bare metal and begin the corrosion process anew?
Post by: ClubChapin on May 06, 2015, 02:46:35 PM
I use por 15 on my Jeeps.  drop a brush through it to get rid of any scale then pour the POR 15 in... it will convert any surface rust to "Not Rust" and keep a protective coating.  Let dry and reassemble.

-Jeep

I think I'm leaning towards this approach.

Is this the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45404-Gloss-Black-Preventive/dp/B00H2VVQNU/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1430952427&sr=1-2&keywords=por+15 (http://www.amazon.com/POR-15-45404-Gloss-Black-Preventive/dp/B00H2VVQNU/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1430952427&sr=1-2&keywords=por+15)
Post by: Jeep on May 06, 2015, 02:55:56 PM
Yes...that should work...its expensive stuff and thin...a little goes a long way.
Post by: ClubChapin on May 06, 2015, 03:23:13 PM
Yes...that should work...its expensive stuff and thin...a little goes a long way.

Good to know.  Maybe a pint will suffice for three SS Performer frames.