Weber Kettle Club Forums

Grill Talk => Weber Grill Forum (Grills, Accessories) => Topic started by: Winz on September 23, 2014, 12:36:59 PM

Title: Gourmet Grate
Post by: Winz on September 23, 2014, 12:36:59 PM
My buddy @argentflame recently gifted me a NIB Gourmet Grate system.  I have to say, this thing is pretty impressive.  The individual bars on the grate are significantly beefier than a standard grate and it really feels built to last.  I am anxious to try a few Woks and other accessories for it.  It also has the flip up sides for adding fuel to an indirect cook.

Often, I use Bisbee's charcoal grate to fire up a chimney of coals for Roswell, Sierralita, or another cooker.  This means I have to remove the grilling grate and set it somewhere.  However, with the Gourmet grate system, I only have to remove the small inner circle.  Both small and large charcoal chimneys will fit.  This is an unadvertised, but very convenient and beneficial feature for me:

(https://dl.dropbox.com/s/c1qrz8stiylotlo/gourmet%20grate.jpg?dl=0)

I am impressed with this design - it will become my everyday grilling grate.

Winz
Title: Re: Gourmet Grate
Post by: Troy on September 23, 2014, 01:27:22 PM
i've had one of these on my christmas list since they were introduce.

apparently my friends and family can't take hints, or they don't love me enough.
Post by: MrHoss on September 23, 2014, 03:05:19 PM
Picked up on of these the other day for 29.99....I am getting another one too.  At that price it's a no brainer.

EDIT:  Lightningboltz is correct....forgot to mention it was the system and not just the grate.  THAT is why it was a easy choice.
Post by: 1buckie on September 23, 2014, 03:25:35 PM
i've had one of these on my christmas list since they were introduce.

apparently my friends and family can't take hints, or they don't love me enough.

"The meaning of communication is the response that you get"

~~~> most likely Richard Bandler

@Troy
Post by: LightningBoldtz on September 23, 2014, 03:42:55 PM
Picked up on of these the other day for 29.99....I am getting another one too.  At that price it's a no brainer.

Hoss forgot to mention he got the sear grate with it for $30.
Post by: toddmog on September 23, 2014, 04:07:40 PM
The gourmet system with sear grate was the first upgrade I made for my performer.  It makes pretty marks on steaks and chops.  I need to get some other drop in pieces at some point.
Post by: Idahawk on September 23, 2014, 04:07:58 PM
(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/24/yjera3em.jpg)

This too
Post by: Winz on September 23, 2014, 05:00:40 PM
Idahawk - good call!

Winz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post by: coldkettle on September 23, 2014, 05:03:52 PM
Nice idea @idahawk 
Post by: demosthenes9 on September 23, 2014, 06:05:17 PM

EDIT:  Lightningboltz is correct....forgot to mention it was the system and not just the grate.  THAT is why it was a easy choice.

Can you get more at that price ?  If so, are you willing to ship ?   ;D 8) :-*
Post by: dazzo on September 23, 2014, 06:51:34 PM
Be aware, if it comes with the CI griddle, the box is like 97 pounds :o

Well, actually only 21 pounds.
Post by: argentflame on September 24, 2014, 07:55:20 AM
(http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/09/24/yjera3em.jpg)

This too

@Idahawk. Thanks for posting the Lodge DO. I have the same one. I thought it was too big. Almost bought a #4 DO on CL.
@Winz This makes lighting the chimney much easier. Smart discovery.
Post by: MrHoss on September 25, 2014, 01:18:32 PM

I am going back done but it is complicated.  I live in Canada but must travel to the States to get this.  I am having this picked up for my by someone there.  In order to get him money I have to transfer it to someone in Canada at a cost of $3 then he PayPals it to the States at a cost of $7.  I have no PayPal account so this is the way it is.  Then there is the exchange rate and taxes coming back.  Plus if you are in the States, postage from me to you is gonna be a killer. I am gonna send along a PM.
Post by: demosthenes9 on September 25, 2014, 01:27:52 PM

I am going back done but it is complicated.  I live in Canada but must travel to the States to get this.  I am having this picked up for my by someone there.  In order to get him money I have to transfer it to someone in Canada at a cost of $3 then he PayPals it to the States at a cost of $7.  I have no PayPal account so this is the way it is.  Then there is the exchange rate and taxes coming back.  Plus if you are in the States, postage from me to you is gonna be a killer. I am gonna send along a PM.

Yowser, that is kind of complicated   :o :o.  Looks like by the time everything is said and done, it would probably be cheaper for me to just go buy the thing.  Oh well, deals come and go.   Thanks for the reply !!
Post by: Lerxst on September 26, 2014, 03:22:18 AM

Dude - where are you getting them at that price?
Post by: weirleigh on September 26, 2014, 03:46:10 AM
I've looked at them at the Home Depot but didn't see getting them right now for what they cost.  Would have to agree if you have managed to find these with the sear grate included for $30 that would be way too tempting to pass up, less than half what I have seen for the system, great score & glad you are putting them to good use.
Post by: Red Kettle Rich on September 26, 2014, 07:02:44 AM
I think I saw the Gourmet Grate w/grilling insert & CI skillet for $50 at Rakutan - should I look for the link?
Title: Gourmet Grate
Post by: crumbsnatcher on September 26, 2014, 07:15:33 AM
I bought a couple sets of the gourmet system w/sear grate insert last fall from HD for about $30. Additionally, I manage to find some at the C&B outlet last fall also. The gourmet grate was about $12, sear grate was $12, griddle was $12 and wok was $24.

Post by: demosthenes9 on September 26, 2014, 08:12:12 AM
I bought a couple sets of the gourmet system w/sear grate insert last fall from HD for about $30. Additionally, I manage to find some at the C&B outlet last fall also. The gourmet grate was about $12, sear grate was $12, griddle was $12 and wok was $24.

If you find a deal like that again, buy everything on the shelf, post the info here and you'll have lots of people PMing you   ;D
Post by: crumbsnatcher on September 26, 2014, 08:21:58 AM
I did post the deal here last fall and I believe a lot of ppl were able to take advantage of the spectacular prices. I don't have the link to the old thread, but I did post SKUs for all the crate & Barrel items.  The cast iron items were very heavy and I believe C&B only vharged a $5 SH fee or it may have even been free S&H too.  It was def a good deal.

Post by: LightningBoldtz on September 26, 2014, 08:23:27 AM
There is a store about 30 miles north of me that have the grate system with the sear grate for $30, I have purchased a couple of them, last I checked he had about 6 left.  These are heavy items so I am not sure the value in buying for $30 then shipping.
Post by: dazzo on September 26, 2014, 09:00:58 AM
I did post the deal here last fall and I believe a lot of ppl were able to take advantage of the spectacular prices. I don't have the link to the old thread, but I did post SKUs for all the crate & Barrel items.  The cast iron items were very heavy and I believe C&B only vharged a $5 SH fee or it may have even been free S&H too.  It was def a good deal.

Here's a Wok...
http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=WB7422OB
@Winz If I hadn't just picked up my other one from Walmart, I'd be on this.
Post by: Winz on September 26, 2014, 09:06:03 AM
@dazzo

Ordered and on its way!  Thanks for the heads up.

Winz
Post by: crumbsnatcher on September 26, 2014, 09:53:38 AM
That wok is awesome Winz!  You will like it. I've used it to make fried chicken on the kettle and it very nice.

Post by: demosthenes9 on September 26, 2014, 10:13:11 AM

Sweet!!  My apologies, I didn't realize that you were talking about an "online deal", nor was I around to see that you had posted it.   Man, wish I would have been here.  Oh, wait, then again, I wasn't really doing Charcoal last year anyways as I just started into it this Spring/Summer    :D
Post by: dazzo on September 26, 2014, 10:13:45 AM
@dazzo

Ordered and on its way!  Thanks for the heads up.

Winz

And thank crumbsnatcher for the original post and link!

Post by: demosthenes9 on September 26, 2014, 10:25:58 AM
There is a store about 30 miles north of me that have the grate system with the sear grate for $30, I have purchased a couple of them, last I checked he had about 6 left.  These are heavy items so I am not sure the value in buying for $30 then shipping.

Just took a quick look at USPS.  If postage is arranged online (2nd day Priority Mail), it would cost $11.57 from Sterling Hts MI to Louisville, KY for a 20 pound package, which is what Amazon says the Gourmet system weighs.   That would make it $42 plus whatever tax there is on the initial purchase.   

Haven't looked around locally, but lowest price I have seen for me online would be $70.00+ tax shipped from Amazon.

Post by: dazzo on September 26, 2014, 12:19:55 PM
OK, curiosity got the best of me and I called Crate and Barrel. I tried last year, but was too slow to get anything with free shipping.

The only Gourmet system item I could locate is a Weber Wok for $20 at the Tyson Corners, VA. location. Shipping was extra.

If someone is close, that's a great price. Tell them Rick sent you.

Otherwise, Beach Camera is the best deal so far.
Post by: crumbsnatcher on September 26, 2014, 05:27:18 PM

OK, curiosity got the best of me and I called Crate and Barrel. I tried last year, but was too slow to get anything with free shipping.

The only Gourmet system item I could locate is a Weber Wok for $20 at the Tyson Corners, VA. location. Shipping was extra.

If someone is close, that's a great price. Tell them Rick sent you.

Otherwise, Beach Camera is the best deal so far.

Nice find Dazzo!  I guess they still have a few laying around here and there. That's even cheaper than what I paid last year which was $24.

Post by: Craig on September 26, 2014, 07:48:16 PM
I love mine....
Post by: LightningBoldtz on September 27, 2014, 03:56:23 AM

Just took a quick look at USPS.  If postage is arranged online (2nd day Priority Mail), it would cost $11.57 from Sterling Hts MI to Louisville, KY for a 20 pound package, which is what Amazon says the Gourmet system weighs.   That would make it $42 plus whatever tax there is on the initial purchase.   

Haven't looked around locally, but lowest price I have seen for me online would be $70.00+ tax shipped from Amazon.

I'll see what I can do to get up there.
Post by: demosthenes9 on September 27, 2014, 04:07:06 PM

I'll see what I can do to get up there.

Lighthing,

While I'd appreciate it, don't make a special trip.  Now, if you just so happen to be in that area and feel like dropping in and picking some up, now that's a different story   ;D ;D ;D ;D