Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Chickens  (Read 594 times)

blksabbath

• WKC Brave
Chickens
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:13:03 AM »
Since I can't make dinosaurs at work yet, and ostriches and emus are too big, I got the next best things.  I'm not going to eat them because they have names, but I will eat their eggs when they start laying in a few more months. I repurposed my kids' play house for the coop which turned out pretty good I think.  My four birds are really fun to watch and hang out with.  They climb up and roost on your shoulders or lap if you let them.  They get big really quick.  They poop a lot...actually poop and pee at the same time.  Anyone else have chickens?

My resident predator tests the newly built coop for flaws.  She is slowly getting used to them and hopefully they will be friends at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:17:06 AM by blksabbath »

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Ranger
Re: Chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:41:46 AM »
That is really cool and must be a lot of fun for your kiddos.  How many eggs will four chickens produce?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

JEBIV

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »
neat

blksabbath

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:03:59 AM »
@Mr.CPHo  I'm told these two varieties (black Australorphs and leghorns) can lay up to 300 eggs each per year for 3-4 years.  That number is probably a best case scenario projection.  I guess we'll see what we get.  The neighbors are already asking when they can get some eggs.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
Great coup.  Eugene allows backyard chickens and many have them.  NO males, however, they can be disturbing in the early hours for city-folk :)  Hope you like eggs.

SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 05:47:09 AM »
@Mr.CPHo  I'm told these two varieties (black Australorphs and leghorns) can lay up to 300 eggs each per year for 3-4 years.  That number is probably a best case scenario projection.  I guess we'll see what we get.  The neighbors are already asking when they can get some eggs.

Now I know where the name "Foghorn Leghorn" comes from. 
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2002 Black SSP w/gas assist; 2015 Black 22.5" OKP, 1991 Red 22.5" OT+

Cellar2ful

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:51:52 AM »

I grow heirloom tomato plants from seeds I save from the previous years crop.  This year I had a unbelievable germination rate.  Having an extra 50 tomato plants, I listed them for sale on a private neighborhood social network site called Nextdoor.  The response and demand was overwhelming.  That being said, I found that many of my neighbors raise backyard chickens.  I ended up trading some of my tomato plants for fresh chicken and quail eggs.  Now I'm getting bi-weekly deliveries of eggs from one of the neighbors.  The eggs yolks are nothing like what you buy from a store.  Their color is  like the orange a yellow kettle gets on the sides where the hot coals are.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

blksabbath

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 07:07:23 AM »
I've been getting eggs (chicken and duck) from a girl I work with for a few years.  Yes, they blow the store bought eggs away.

@SmokenJoe No roosters allowed in my neighborhood either.  That's a pretty common ordinance.  I bought my chicks as pullets (females), but there is always a chance I will end up with a rooster since the sexing isn't 100%...more like 90%.  I am trying to make some DNA from feathers from each bird and run a pcr to verify the sex using some generic avian primer sequences I found online.  We'll see how that works.  Otherwise I will have to wait for all their feathers to come and hope that no one crows.

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
You will want to be able to move the cage like every week as the birds will destroy all the grass.
Free range in the back yard is great also, we have a neighbor that has like 10/15 and they range around but always come home on there own at sun down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

blksabbath

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:56:18 AM »
I'm moving it up onto the playground/trampoline spot off the grass then plan to build a mobile chicken dome that I can leave them out in during the day.  By the time they are fully grown, I'm hoping my dog will except them as friends and not something to chase/chew/shake.

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:02:42 AM »
One of them looks like a cockerel already...
I like my grills just a little on the trashy side...dont need none polished, painted or beautified...I get'em rusted, chiped and junkified...legs all broken laying on their side...

blksabbath

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 10:40:48 AM »
Which one?  Man...I'm gonna be sad.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
@blksabbath
Just sit in the coup some evening and watch. The ones that don't lay eggs are boys
If U need more help just send a msg.

SJ

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

blksabbath

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 07:40:40 PM »
Lift the dinosaurs skirts up is what I remember from Jurassic Park.  I'm getting more material to pcr this weekend.

@smokenjoe and hellfiregrill, you guys seem in the know and if you have advice, I welcome it.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
@blksabbath

According to my egg-lady (the neighbor across the street with a half dozen hens), time will tell   ...   Just find someone out of town that wants a rooster. 

SJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk