Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 2006 Performer: regulator valve's plastic knob likes to "spin" without the valve  (Read 1196 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
I tried to pry it off with a screwdriver, thinking it was stripped anyway. It certainly acted like it was stripped. And then it "caught" and worked the valve normally.

What's the long-term fix here? What makes sense to me is a valve that features a simple T-knob, not a knurled plastic addition that can become useless.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Hey ATS' How handy are you? You could probably just hack/dremel the plastic knob off and replace it with something more robust. I am also assuming that the knob shaft is made of metal. Or you can drill a small hole at one end and squirt some epoxy in there to hold it in place.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Thanks, and those are good ideas. I imagine the shaft is splined and that they didn't consider the plastic knob might get stripped. But if the valve is a little sticky ... maybe they should have used a set screw or a D-shaped shaft

But I'm speculating, and will need to risk breaking the plastic knob to perhaps find out.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch