Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My new 7409 "one touch" replacement blades aren't ... right  (Read 1968 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
My new 7409 "one touch" replacement blades aren't ... right
« on: April 10, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
Last year I got a set of 7409 replacement "one touch" blades for my '92 Performer, and bought one of Brian's (zavod44) sweet aluminum replacement support bars. Just recently got around to putting it back together. My ashcan and bottom vents are functional again!

The 7409 kit comes with a washer intended to go underneath, but the support bar consumes that "available space" (the nut won't go on if the washer's used because the threads aren't "long" enough.)

Anyway, when I move the lever it's not as smooth as it should be and can squeal loudly, like fingernails on a chalkboard. Any tips are appreciated.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
Re: My new 7409 "one touch" replacement blades aren't ... right
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
I only have experience with one support bar and I had to sand down the built-up rust on the bar to get the 7409 and washer to fit. I don't think that would be a problem with aluminum though.
Uncommon sense seeker

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »
When I have time I'll look at this more. Maybe I overtightened the bottom nut? Maybe the plated-steel lever / aluminum is causing friction. I can see how that might happen, as the aluminum wouldn't be as "smooth"? I may try some ... lube. IDK.  :-\

I'd also like to know if it's worthwhile coating or spraying the "dangling bits" (nut area ... ahem) in order to slow down/prevent rust again.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »
It's my understanding the washer is only used on the non-charcoal-ring-support kettles.  (IE OTS, One Touch Plus)
Get a bunch of greasy burgers fired up and let it lubricate naturally.  :)
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 06:15:24 PM »
^This.  The support bar is the "washer".  You don't use the washer on a SS Performer, only on a OT.  If I'm wrong, let me know but I have 2 SS Perfs and neither one had the washer. 
WTB 18 fruit

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »
What everyone said is correct. You don't use the washer with the cross bar.
Are you hearing the blades scraping on the bowl? Are they installed in the correct, 1..2..3 order?
Maybe they need a bit of a "Tweak" to align with the bowl.. Maybe Brains aluminum is the squeaky kind?  Just some thoughts.  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 06:40:54 PM »
Yeah I made sure to install them 1-2-3 as per the directions. I can't know about the rest. But like I said I'll try to isolate / locate the sound. Since the lever is a bit "difficult" to move I'll likely start by loosening the nut and seeing what that does.

I appreciate the confirmation about the washer. Just wish the instructions could have been more complete regarding that.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »
Instructions, we don;t need no stinking instructions!
Seriously, since Weber doesn't make or sell the cross bat anymore, they assume its just going on a regular OT bowl. Those MT''s haven't been made in quite a while..  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
I guess I sanded my bar down enough it did accommodate the washer, but it worked more smoothly and no longer rubbed against the ash ring either. The washer on mine was much thinner than the bar and was very loose on its own. YMMV.
Uncommon sense seeker