Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Re: The Mothership has landed...  (Read 8429 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: The Mothership has landed...
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
all that said, i'm not against your standards or anyone else's

i just think separating the community into spenders vs non spenders, or poachers vs non poachers, does more harm than good.

calling people out, speculating, name calling, pity partying - its a big waste of time and emotion.

bring on the food.
bring on the grills.

don't like your neighbor, put up a fence and stop peering over it.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2014, 09:43:09 PM »
It it what it is, the damage has been done.

Why should it be public? It was open forum, directly commented at me. I was my opinion and one member called me out, as he didn't agree.

These are just a GRILL! Not a hidden treasure art piece.

As far as Joe Blow. If he/she is a troll, nothing can be done. I do respect members on this board and would be proud to help and not take away. I don't care if was the Cado or Green I am looking for.

Morals? Think first, step back a second, See it through others eyes... Impulse is not a moral.

What if's and Why? I can embrace... I have lived it, my opinion will differ from others that haven't.

If your not Holy, have read, why mention God? Politically correct version, should have stated a higher power judges. But I do prefer God judges.

a hot seat indeed. I didn't realize what I was getting into :)

regarding public vs private.... despite my hate for drama - i'm glad this is public.
It's not personal Greg. It's not about your statement, or Shauns.

It's a greater issue that we've all been dealing with for some time now.

Moral standards are an individual thing, and every individual is different.
But it's human nature to judge others based on our own individual moral standards - and sadly, it's not human nature to factor in anything else.

I respect what you present as your definition of 'fair' - but there are too many 'what ifs' to really embrace it.

I tend to stick to my own backyard, and i live paycheck to paycheck so spending more than 50 on a grill will likely get me in trouble.
But if Joe Blow from south florida (or wherever) has eleventy billion dollars and REALLLLLLY wants the beat up red SS performer for 40 down the street from me.... so much that he's willing to throw in extra cash for the hassle of shipping... who am I to judge?

Me claiming that that asshole has no integrity without knowing the full story is pretty freaking ignorant of me.
And I'm no holy man, but from what I read - judging is the job of God.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
Shaun,

It has been a long night and I have to be up early. I have a chance to work a part time Job in the morning. I know it's not fair to publicly announce, as others don't have this opportunity. I will reply to below comment, if is still up, later tomorrow.

Good night all! I'm exhausted by all this and having to defend my opinions.
If you have a beef with me in the future, please PM me. I have a phone number I will
provide, to discuss in a more personal matter. Grown men don't hide behind a screen, they work it out.

Saxart, yes I really want to hear what you think. I appreciate your reply and the chicken and sweet look great! The truth is we are going to lose deals to others and I think this is just the beginning. These days I really don't care who get's what, but I am more interested in seeing scores and getting closer looks at rare grills. I have probably lost more grills than most people here because my area is a hot area and it used to bother me, but I have realized that we have plenty of people watching us all the time that have never even joined and it's becoming more frequent. No offense taken.

Greg, it's good to hear from you. I'm glad you asked about my profits. I think money is what most of these disagreements come down to. There isn't one person here on this site that I have really profited from. I always make it clear that I am happy to help and love to see people get grills especially in areas where they don't see much action. Sending grills isn't easy or cheap. There's a lot of legwork that goes into it and my gas is expensive. (Fullsize V8 truck) the materials aren't free and I have gone to the outer limits to fetch deals for people. Looking back I am quite sure it's cost me much more than I have made. The only time I make money is locally. Buy a grill, clean it up and sell it. Those are always the grills that nobody else here wants either because of the color or condition. If you could only see what I have went through for some scores. This sounds funny but, I just paid a toll evasion fine from way back when I crossed the Golden Gate to pick up a blue MH during a time when they were switching to robots instead of live people. $75 dollars later and I have yet to get my tags because the DMV holds them until the fine is paid.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2014, 05:17:45 AM »
 Greg, it's 5:45, I work the bus ministry today, but have a quick moment to respond and then I'm off. You are correct about the higher powers having the authority to judge. There's also another passage in Romans 13 that in plain terms tells us that we are in subjection to those that have power over us. In other words we put ourselves under someone else's authority when we have a boss or even join a group where there is a leader present. Not needing to get religious here. but it came up, you mentioned it and I thought I would set it straight. :)

Now, please don't attack me about hiding behind a screen. I'm being completely transparent, this is what this thread is for. Post cl's from my area and troll it all you want. I have had more than my share of nice grills since I started doing those several years ago long before anyone else here other than Jeff was scouring cl for grills.

The reason I called out what you wrote wasn't meant as a personal attack on you, but what you wrote was a personal attack on Harris. Does 'deep pockets" and "Westerner" ring a bell? The woe is me whining around here got old a long time ago. Your neighborhood isn't yours. You own a small parcel of property there and really don't have any say as to what else happens outside of that. You can't expect to sit here and control who buys what in your area, then get angry when it doesn't work out. If you see something you want go get it, be first and don't say anything. Would you rather Harris get banned for outbidding you on ebay or buying something on 'your' cl? You want Troy to police this place and make sure we all stay in our corner of cl? It's not going to happen, the Statesman aren't the gestapo or some communist group. Can you show me where cl posted rules as to where we can buy? Is it written here somewhere that part of membership is that we agree to stay within a 30 minute radius when looking for grills? This is America and were free to buy and sell as we please and as an American I'm not going to allow anyone else to tell me otherwise and you shouldn't either. Your collection doesn't look like it's hurting. Grown men don't whine about grills either. If you want to discuss this privately pm me your phone number and i'll give you a call later today.  I'll meet with you wherever you like for a discussion and we can 'work it out'.

One thing I don't see happening here is anyone that wants special guidelines on how we should buy on cl laying out a buying plan that will work. Disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing isn't a plan and won't get us anywhere. Let's see a tangible solution that can be put into action.

I think your letting all of this get to you. I know it's happened to me. Try and have a good day and maybe put one of those grills to use. We'll talk again later.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 05:50:10 AM by Duke »

Bman

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: The Mothership has landed...
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2014, 06:10:07 AM »
While I don't disagree with either side, I've also lost out on a CL score everyone of us would have liked to score because it got shipped out of town.  Obviously there aren't any rules and nothing was illegal, but it still stung.  On the other hand, I'd also bend over backwards for some members here and wouldn't get out of my chair to help others.  Some peoples scores - I'm really happy for them.  Other peoples scores - I couldn't give a shit.  I'm certain we all feel that way to a certain degree.  Greg's new found score - really happy for him.  Congrats again!

It's spring.  The sun is out.  I've got some yard work to do and charcoal to burn.  Will catch up on WKC Days of Our Lives later...

I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 06:19:45 AM »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:24:44 PM by DoppelBock »

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 06:34:54 AM »
Now I don't even want to buy anything from craigslist!!
But then again, I don't have the two and a half bills for a new 26er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »
This thread is absolutely amazing.  I am a member of more than a few online forums, and have been a moderator at one of them for about 8 years now.  I have never seen THIS AMOUNT of childish behavior from leading members and MODS anywhere.

Nobody has asked Troy to police CL purchases.  That would be an insane request.

Here are the facts in my 1 year of being at this hobby.   I'll tell this story to illustrate a point. 

There is one member of this forum (remember no names mentioned) in particular who I've had a bad dealing with.  I've since seen that member reach out to some very local CL sellers and absolutely RUIN purchases that I had set up with them.   Here's an example:   A nice vintage kettle pops up on CL for $35.  I email the seller saying I'll take it and we set up a time for pickup.  10 min later I get an email from the seller saying he was offered a LOT more money by a guy who lives in the same far-away state as this forum member and now the grill is on CL for $300.   I've seen this happen time and time again with this guy.  This forum member has even gone as far as to reach out to locals on CL and just tell them their stuff is worth more than they are asking, and the price goes up even though he had no interest in purchasing it.  Stacked on top of this behavior is the fact that I had a pretty crappy purchase with this forum member, who literally posted on the forum something to the effect of, "Now that I've gotten rid of some of my crappy grills, my collection moves forward" after I received my purchase from him.

Should anyone be surprised when I don't want to invite this forum member over for breakfast? ? ? ?

More importantly, should I continue to frequent a forum who's leadership continues to reach out and support this jerk? ? ? ?

This forum member has poop on his shoes for a reason.  Nobody lifted his foot and slapped it on the bottom of his shoe.  It's there because he was walking in crap where he shouldn't have been.  Nuff said..

Look, I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but this is what I've witnessed in the year that I've been here.  Greg bought a grill, posted it to the forum, and it's somehow turned into some sort of a pissin match.

(Scratching head) I don't get it!   

In the end, these are just a bunch of dumb little grills, regardless of what color they are or what their vents say on them.  Is it really worth it to wreck a potential friendship over this crap?   To me this place is much more about the PEOPLE and less about the actual KETTLES.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programing.......     :o
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 06:41:25 AM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2014, 07:50:53 AM »
You've hit the nail on the head. Everyone's tired of the stuff going on. I do not have any issues with any specific members. I don't know who the people you speak of are.
I believe that sooner or later, things will even out. (Karma)
Subtle hints are annoying..  Just say what you think and we'll all be good. Were all grown men.
PMing in private only resolves a perceived issue between 2 individuals. It doesn't help the community issues as a whole. 
Make your best deal, share your finds, enjoy your grills!
Leave the drama at the door BEFORE you come in.
 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

5280Jeff

• WKC Brave
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
WOW! Been away for a while 2 teenagers, overtime at work, built this new computer that I'm using now (pretty proud of that) and pretty much life in general got busy. Stopped in to get caught up this morning with a cup of coffee and found this thread, it's pretty disappointing. I've been a member of a few forums for different hobbies and somehow it always comes to something like this. It's too bad many of us will never meet face to face, I think online forums sometimes have a way of fueling these kind of disagreements. The same discussion in a backyard somewhere would probably end up with some beers, a good meal, and some handshakes. Probably the most disappointing thing about it is that it discourages newer members from participating. This forum does have a PM feature, it would be wise for the moderators to encourage the use of PMs in these situations. That is all, I will now step off of my soapbox and go out to the garage to work on my redhead project. Have a great day...I'm gonna! :)

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2014, 08:05:12 AM »

In all seriousness - everyone got out what they had to say (I think) and it's a very rare warm spring day here in MN, so if you don't mind I'm going to go enjoy the weather and maybe crack a couple adult beverages while watching the snow melt!
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »
If anyone has a problem or an issue with a members methods, please by all means utilize the PM system that is in place. Personal attacks on the main forum whether factual or perceived are not cool! There's a lot of emotion in here and everyone needs to find a common ground. At the end of the day we won't all see eye to eye on everything. I do not like coming here after being at work and seeing pissing matches no matter what the cause. The WKC should be our escape, our sanctuary from the trials and tribulations of the outside world. I'm going outside and enjoying my family and my kettles. Have a great Sunday!

-Craig

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
In the words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

bthorn9435

• WKC Brave
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 10:15:34 AM »
or how about "He ain't heavy he's my WKC brother".
2013 18.5" Weber Smokey Mountain, 2007 Gen2 Performer w/Deep Ocean Blue Kettle Mod
68-70 Patent Pending 22.5 Daisy Wheel Red. 2021 Deep Ocean Blue Master Touch. 2013 22.5 Black One Touch Gold
2021 Ivory Smokey Joe

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2014, 10:43:10 AM »
I'm done with drama.

From now on, respect everyone - regardless of their tactics or opinions.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk