Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Re: The Mothership has landed...  (Read 8425 times)

Troy

• Statesman
Re: The Mothership has landed...
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
look everyone.

this is a hobby for all of us.

I don't think anyone is screwing anyone else over for the sake of screwing them over.
It's the product of desire and resources.

It's like getting cut off in traffic. It doesn't happen because the person is trying to be a jerk to you specifically. Maybe the person is in a major hurry and has an emergency.
Maybe their wife is  having a baby and they are about to piss their pants. Orrrrr maybe they are just an asshole.
The reason doesn't matter. Just keep driving.

We built this site to bring people together, not to tear people apart.
A lot of people have sacrificed a lot of time and money to build and maintain this site.
This drama over morals and turf and everything else does nothing but make the site suck.
When the site sucks, people leave.

It's time to come to terms that someone is always going to lose a deal because someone else has more money or because someone else reallllly really wants something no matter what it takes. You're always going to get cut off in traffic. Chasing someone down and calling them out isn't going to change them.  It's just going to make the road a shittier place to be.

So please - stop road raging.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »
Saxart, I also read your last post at the original thread, I would like to hear more from you.

Duke-
Exactly what would you like to hear from me?  Do you want to hear what I really think, or do you want to hear what you want to hear?    I'll post a congrats to WHO I want WHEN I want, but if someone's going to tell me what to do, then I'm gone.  Frankly, if someone's screwed me over on a kettle deal in the past, I probably won't be congratulating them when they find "Weber #1" for $8 million on eBay.

I don't mean this as a dig, I have no BEEF with you.  Never have.  I just don't get all of the pot-stirring.  We put a bird on the new roti for the first time tonight.  I'd rather talk about what went right/wrong rather than who's got who's finger up who's butt.

(BTW, that's a sweet potato off to the right)

Tomorrow's dinner is Pepper Stout Beef.  I love that dish.   

Got any tips?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:07:09 PM by saxart »
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
Re: Re: The Mothership has landed...
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 07:11:04 PM »
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:25:16 PM by DoppelBock »

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »

Greg - Awesome score and way to represent WKC MN/WI!  I agree with what you had to say...a community is just that, a community.  We don't poach from each other!

Just curious, what do you mean by poach?  Getting a grill from out of state or getting a grill after another member shows interest or something else?

When I say poaching, I mean reaching out to sellers on CL and offering much more than they're selling it for in the hopes of snatching away from anyone else who would consider it a nice score.

I don't care if someone from out of state gets to it before I do or if another kettle-head claims it prior to me.  I do, however, think all of our common hobby can become cannibilized by those that undermine others by "poaching" the kettles that all of us oils consider a great score.

I've stated my opinion and will leave it at that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 07:26:39 PM »
'
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:25:31 PM by DoppelBock »

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2014, 07:30:48 PM »
\
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:25:40 PM by DoppelBock »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2014, 07:39:46 PM »

and start an ew topic on the subject?

It already is an "EW" topic............. 8)

People come from widely different backgrounds, have been doing this at all different levels & lengths  of time (the actual collecting, I mean), are in various areas of the country / world where there is widely varied availability, have, each, a different view on what color, style, year, model & on & on.....
There is no way we'll ALL ever agree on what's just exactly proper form...........

Add to all that the FACT that most all of us are "fans".....read: FAN-ATIC....which, in my own personal view, is what is the root of most disagreements.....intense passion = instense pain, at times..... 8)

What can happen is to move just a slight bit slower with the sharp tongue & at least make the attempt to understand other's viewpoints, first.........

The other thing is what's already happening.....that certain relatively loose "rules" have been discussed & generally put in place that help guide etiquette & "fair play"......
I'm glad there's no heavy clamping down, people kicked out, etc.............
I'm really, generally, proud of all of you for HOW LITTLE pissin' & moanin' & name callin' does actually go on.....

Thanks !!!!!

PS: I guess if no one had seen this when I "poached" the listing from Smoked Meat & sent it here & some lurking rangeroid bagged it, why then, I'd get "Asshole-of-the-Month" honors !!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »
Wow. Considerate? Glad the internet was down and spent time with my bride. Thanks for your comments Shaun and others.

Considerate to to others that don't work side jobs and have deep pockets? What does that have to do about being considerate? It is MY CHOICE to work side jobs for this hobby, so I don't deflect income for our family needs.

Deep pockets? Well, enough said, it is a hobby. At the end of the day, the value is in the eye of the beholder. I am glad I didn't purchase Beanie Babies or Dept 56. Look at their value today. Only those that hold on to these cherish them, because they were not an investment, but the for the love.

Shawn, I am happy your able to help others because your in a hot bed.
When you pass on your good fortunes to other members, do you make a profit?
Well, I have sent some on and at cost. But again, it is a hobby and happy to pass on a good fortune.

We are all entitled to our own opinions. I am so happy Shawn you have expressed yours. If I go back to the beginning of WKC( Use the search, which works so well) and you will see the mindset of the beginning of this site. If I remember correctly, it was members helping members? But I could be wrong... I am old and do this in memory of my of my deceased son. Thanks for your expressed opinion on how CL worldwide works.

Troy, I will agree to disagree with some of for mentioned. I am deeply passionate about how WKC has been here for me. There are many in the background that help, I also appreciate them immensely.

1. I think Greg is a great guy and meant no harm.
2. I think Gret's statement of "I am not sure if I see greed or what to attain a collection? It saddens me on what I see going... I play fair and in my own territory, that is me." is easily interpreted as a jab against anyone who spends money or acquires grills from outside his own region. [And I think we should all refrain from judging others based on their tactics]
3. I think Shaun's intentions were good.
4. I think we all need to chill out

and 5. I think we ALL need to understand that our individual morals ARE NOT universal. Just because someone else doesn't abide by YOUR standards does NOT mean they have less integrity.

MOD NOTE: This discussion is split from http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/the-mothership-has-landed-9873/
To congratulate Greg on scoring a sweet Ranch, go there and post.
The messages in this new thread are for discussing dramatic and sensitive matters.

This thread is under close watch, personal attacks will be removed.
Remain civil. There will be no warnings.
------------------------
To put all speculation aside, this was secured well before it was put on the trading post. I dealt with a very cordial gentlemen. Thank God he was not a CL Flake and an Honest person. I sometimes sit back and wonder where our hobby is going... We are small awesome forum. I am not sure if I see greed or what to attain a collection? It saddens me on what I see going... I play fair and in my own territory, that is me.

This was an awesome deal, that could have gone south. I don't have deep pockets and work a side job to support my hobby. Majority of my collection has been built on $25 or less. That is where I get my enjoyment. My Guardian Angel Spike was looking over me. It is not a Westerner, but it will fit in just fine. It will need a light cleaning and an upgrade to S/S hardware.

Nice score Greg, I mean no disrespect and consider you a friend, but please be more considerate toward people that don't work side jobs, have more money to spend and choose not to limit themselves to their own neighborhood. You might feel different if you never found anything local. There's a reason CL is all over the world and Allofcraigs exists..  I keep hearing all of this again and again and feel something needs to be said publicly. You were good at "This was an awesome deal". I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where we see lot's of grills year around, so I try and pass the good fortune on to others in hard to find places. It's a nice Ranch Kettle, I don't feel sorry for you. ;)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »
I think shitting on this thread is a poor way to promote community.  It has offended me, seriously.  I can't believe Greg just took a punch in the face...WOW.  I guess where we know this community stands...take an old good standing member and tell him he's a jerk because he doesn't like to get screwed by trolls...seems the guys who keep saying don't try to control craigslist are the ones looking for maximum profit.  Which is fine but don't cast stones at others who do the same things.  I don't know what the hell is going on around here.

Thanks Brian.
Thanks LG.
Thanks WKC MN.

I wonder why we have PM. Doesn't get used as intended, I guess open forum is better. No face, no expression, just white screen with black letters... This is our society, I so feel sorry for the younger generation. They express by text and social media... God forbid you express directly to the person intended.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »
Well said Ken. I have no disrespect for you or your original posting on TP.

and start an ew topic on the subject?

It already is an "EW" topic............. 8)

People come from widely different backgrounds, have been doing this at all different levels & lengths  of time (the actual collecting, I mean), are in various areas of the country / world where there is widely varied availability, have, each, a different view on what color, style, year, model & on & on.....
There is no way we'll ALL ever agree on what's just exactly proper form...........

Add to all that the FACT that most all of us are "fans".....read: FAN-ATIC....which, in my own personal view, is what is the root of most disagreements.....intense passion = instense pain, at times..... 8)

What can happen is to move just a slight bit slower with the sharp tongue & at least make the attempt to understand other's viewpoints, first.........

The other thing is what's already happening.....that certain relatively loose "rules" have been discussed & generally put in place that help guide etiquette & "fair play"......
I'm glad there's no heavy clamping down, people kicked out, etc.............
I'm really, generally, proud of all of you for HOW LITTLE pissin' & moanin' & name callin' does actually go on.....

Thanks !!!!!

PS: I guess if no one had seen this when I "poached" the listing from Smoked Meat & sent it here & some lurking rangeroid bagged it, why then, I'd get "Asshole-of-the-Month" honors !!!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
Troy, I will agree to disagree with some of for mentioned. I am deeply passionate about how WKC has been here for me. There are many in the background that help, I also appreciate them immensely.

I appreciate your passion for the hobby and the WKC.
Your passion, along with everyone elses, is what makes the WKC special.
It's a bit ironic that sometimes, while passionate towards the same things, we end up hurting eachothers feelings.

If I knew how to resolve this, I would. :\

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
Troy, there is nothing to resolve. I am a big boy.
I have nothing but total respect for you. Your in
a hot seat overviewing all this...

I am just disappointed there is a PM system in place, some have a disagreement and believe open forum is resolution.

I appreciate your passion for the hobby and the WKC.
Your passion, along with everyone elses, is what makes the WKC special.
It's a bit ironic that sometimes, while passionate towards the same things, we end up hurting eachothers feelings.

If I knew how to resolve this, I would. :\

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
This is a real shame.  A guy gets a sweet grill.  A pissing match ensues...

I've changed my tag-line.  Hopefully it will remind us what REALLY matters in all of this.  (Kettles and people)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
a hot seat indeed. I didn't realize what I was getting into :)

regarding public vs private.... despite my hate for drama - i'm glad this is public.
It's not personal Greg. It's not about your statement, or Shauns.

It's a greater issue that we've all been dealing with for some time now.

Moral standards are an individual thing, and every individual is different.
But it's human nature to judge others based on our own individual moral standards - and sadly, it's not human nature to factor in anything else.

I respect what you present as your definition of 'fair' - but there are too many 'what ifs' to really embrace it.

I tend to stick to my own backyard, and i live paycheck to paycheck so spending more than 50 on a grill will likely get me in trouble.
But if Joe Blow from south florida (or wherever) has eleventy billion dollars and REALLLLLLY wants the beat up red SS performer for 40 down the street from me.... so much that he's willing to throw in extra cash for the hassle of shipping... who am I to judge?

Me claiming that that asshole has no integrity without knowing the full story is pretty freaking ignorant of me.
And I'm no holy man, but from what I read - judging is the job of God.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 08:25:30 PM »
Saxart, yes I really want to hear what you think. I appreciate your reply and the chicken and sweet look great! The truth is we are going to lose deals to others and I think this is just the beginning. These days I really don't care who get's what, but I am more interested in seeing scores and getting closer looks at rare grills. I have probably lost more grills than most people here because my area is a hot area and it used to bother me, but I have realized that we have plenty of people watching us all the time that have never even joined and it's becoming more frequent. No offense taken.

Greg, it's good to hear from you. I'm glad you asked about my profits. I think money is what most of these disagreements come down to. There isn't one person here on this site that I have really profited from. I always make it clear that I am happy to help and love to see people get grills especially in areas where they don't see much action. Sending grills isn't easy or cheap. There's a lot of legwork that goes into it and my gas is expensive. (Fullsize V8 truck) the materials aren't free and I have gone to the outer limits to fetch deals for people. Looking back I am quite sure it's cost me much more than I have made. The only time I make money is locally. Buy a grill, clean it up and sell it. Those are always the grills that nobody else here wants either because of the color or condition. If you could only see what I have went through for some scores. This sounds funny but, I just paid a toll evasion fine from way back when I crossed the Golden Gate to pick up a blue MH during a time when they were switching to robots instead of live people. $75 dollars later and I have yet to get my tags because the DMV holds them until the fine is paid.