Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Re: The Mothership has landed...  (Read 8430 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Re: The Mothership has landed...
« on: April 05, 2014, 02:49:23 PM »
MOD NOTE: This discussion is split from http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/the-mothership-has-landed-9873/
To congratulate Greg on scoring a sweet Ranch, go there and post.
The messages in this new thread are for discussing dramatic and sensitive matters.

This thread is under close watch, personal attacks will be removed.
Remain civil. There will be no warnings.
------------------------
To put all speculation aside, this was secured well before it was put on the trading post. I dealt with a very cordial gentlemen. Thank God he was not a CL Flake and an Honest person. I sometimes sit back and wonder where our hobby is going... We are small awesome forum. I am not sure if I see greed or what to attain a collection? It saddens me on what I see going... I play fair and in my own territory, that is me.

This was an awesome deal, that could have gone south. I don't have deep pockets and work a side job to support my hobby. Majority of my collection has been built on $25 or less. That is where I get my enjoyment. My Guardian Angel Spike was looking over me. It is not a Westerner, but it will fit in just fine. It will need a light cleaning and an upgrade to S/S hardware.

Nice score Greg, I mean no disrespect and consider you a friend, but please be more considerate toward people that don't work side jobs, have more money to spend and choose not to limit themselves to their own neighborhood. You might feel different if you never found anything local. There's a reason CL is all over the world and Allofcraigs exists..  I keep hearing all of this again and again and feel something needs to be said publicly. You were good at "This was an awesome deal". I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where we see lot's of grills year around, so I try and pass the good fortune on to others in hard to find places. It's a nice Ranch Kettle, I don't feel sorry for you. ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 05:19:16 PM by Troy »

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: Re: The Mothership has landed...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 03:08:21 PM »
I think Greg is just stating how he feels, not bashing anyone or calling anyone out. I can respect his opinion on the matter. Anyway, again an awesome score for you my friend.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 03:14:44 PM »
Nice score Greg, I mean no disrespect and consider you a friend, but please be more considerate toward people that don't work side jobs, have more money to spend and choose not to limit themselves to their own neighborhood. You might feel different if you never found anything local. There's a reason CL is all over the world and Allofcraigs exists..  I keep hearing all of this again and again and feel something needs to be said publicly. You were good at "This was an awesome deal". I'm fortunate enough to live in an area where we see lot's of grills year around, so I try and pass the good fortune on to others in hard to find places. It's a nice Ranch Kettle, I don't feel sorry for you. ;)

thanks for saying this shaun.
Greg, you're a good guy, and I'm stoked that you scored this grill :)

I agree with Shaun that we need to stop drawing an imaginary line between people willing to spend more money or look outside their own "territory"
The supply of grills is dynamic and everyone's desires, resources, and limitations are all vastly different.

Any definition of "right" and "wrong" is a matter of opinion and I don't think the community will ever really agree on a standard set of ethics.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »
I think Greg is just stating how he feels, not bashing anyone or calling anyone out. I can respect his opinion on the matter. Anyway, again an awesome score for you my friend.

totally agree, opinions are always welcome.

i'm just trying to create some awareness that lately there's been a lot of references to spenders and nationwide hunters in relations to morals and right and wrong. It alienates some people and creates separation rather than community.

We're all here for the same reason :)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »

thanks for saying this shaun.
Greg, you're a good guy, and I'm stoked that you scored this grill :)

I agree with Shaun that we need to stop drawing an imaginary line between people willing to spend more money or look outside their own "territory"
The supply of grills is dynamic and everyone's desires, resources, and limitations are all vastly different.

Any definition of "right" and "wrong" is a matter of opinion and I don't think the community will ever really agree on a standard set of ethics.
Thanks for getting it Troy. It was an awesome score, but we need to watch out for buzzwords like deep pockets etc. We are all here for the same reason. Well said. Now slap some meat on that grill Greg!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:40 PM »
Maybe we should just stay on topic for Greg's awesome score. Don't think there was a need to discuss anything else or take away from his score. Start a new topic for any other discussions.
My point exactly.

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 04:17:18 PM »
How is that your point? PM Greg if you have an issue or start another thread with any issues you may have. I thought this thread was to congratulate Greg's score? Am I missing something in your original post that says stay on topic and congrats?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
I think shitting on this thread is a poor way to promote community.  It has offended me, seriously.  I can't believe Greg just took a punch in the face...WOW.  I guess where we know this community stands...take an old good standing member and tell him he's a jerk because he doesn't like to get screwed by trolls...seems the guys who keep saying don't try to control craigslist are the ones looking for maximum profit.  Which is fine but don't cast stones at others who do the same things.  I don't know what the hell is going on around here. 

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 05:01:33 PM »
Can we just lock this thread and start an ew topic on the subject? I tried the "Hit Moderator" button a while ago, but got no response..

Greg, there are no hard feelings by any of us and we really are happy for you.
But cleary the community has osme issues to deal with.. 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 05:06:53 PM »
I think shitting on this thread is a poor way to promote community.  It has offended me, seriously.  I can't believe Greg just took a punch in the face...WOW.  I guess where we know this community stands...take an old good standing member and tell him he's a jerk because he doesn't like to get screwed by trolls...seems the guys who keep saying don't try to control craigslist are the ones looking for maximum profit.  Which is fine but don't cast stones at others who do the same things.  I don't know what the hell is going on around here.

cmon, no one is punching anyone in the face.
shaun is trying to clear the air on all the separation based on budgets and tactics.

should it be its own topic? Yes, it should. I'll start it now and this thread will remain ON TOPIC from now on.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 05:24:14 PM »
1. I think Greg is a great guy and meant no harm.
2. I think Gret's statement of "I am not sure if I see greed or what to attain a collection? It saddens me on what I see going... I play fair and in my own territory, that is me." is easily interpreted as a jab against anyone who spends money or acquires grills from outside his own region. [And I think we should all refrain from judging others based on their tactics]
3. I think Shaun's intentions were good.
4. I think we all need to chill out

and 5. I think we ALL need to understand that our individual morals ARE NOT universal. Just because someone else doesn't abide by YOUR standards does NOT mean they have less integrity.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
Greg, I'm sorry you got treated like this.  You didn't deserve it.  Nice score....

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
Greg - Awesome score and way to represent WKC MN/WI!  I agree with what you had to say...a community is just that, a community.  We don't poach from each other!
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »
Thanks for splitting this thread Troy.

As I stated earlier, I don't believe Greg's intention was to cause division, but he did mention Westerner and deep pockets didn't he? I think he meant well, but struck a nerve amongst a few people on a hot issue that needs to be addressed. I called it to attention after reading what he had wrote. There's talk of hurting Greg's score and such, but I have to ask how many people here didn't congratulate Harris on his recent Westerner win? How about his red smokey? 18 galley? Rather as I said earlier I keep hearing terms like 'deep pockets' and 'Pay out you/my ass' and so on. Maybe we all need to post how much we all keep in our bank accounts, how big of a house we live in, what kind of car we drive and what kind of shoes we wear? If Steve had not won the grills we may never have had the chance to get such a good look at them. I for one am thankful for that.

Here's what I know about Greg, he has a nice home, he's a hard worker and he has a nice grill collection. We have exchanged many emails in the past and I can say it would be out of his character to say anything demeaning purposely. I would however like to hear what he has to say himself and wouldn't be surprised if he didn't disagree with some of the comments from people jumping to his defense.

Saxart, I also read your last post at the original thread, I would like to hear more from you. I'm also hoping Steve will have something to say.

I don't see this as a contest, but rather an opportunity to voice our opinions and try and settle some differences in opinions. I would like to see all of us get along and not be divided, rather move ahead and grow together not harboring any ill will or jealousy toward one another. Even if we can't find resolution maybe we can at least find common ground and be respectful of others scores.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:13:30 PM by Duke »

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 07:02:13 PM »
Greg - Awesome score and way to represent WKC MN/WI!  I agree with what you had to say...a community is just that, a community.  We don't poach from each other!

Just curious, what do you mean by poach?  Getting a grill from out of state or getting a grill after another member shows interest or something else?