Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: chimney lighting?  (Read 9848 times)

crazej36

• Smokey Joe
chimney lighting?
« on: April 02, 2014, 07:06:25 AM »
What do you guys use for lighting up a chimney ? I have been using the side burner on my gasser but I don't think I'm going to refill the tank again.Guess I'm back to newspaper but I get the confetti all over. The cubes seem a tad expensive per use. Has anyone tried sectioning up a smaller starter log? Did it add any unwanted taste?
91 kettle black , 22.5 OTG black, 18.5 OTS black, 76 Red Head MBH, 18.5in Smokey Mountain .

cbpeck

• WKC Ranger
Re: chimney lighting?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »
I typically use newspaper, but it is a little messy. If the chiminea happens to be lit I just set the chimney on top, and the charcoal is going in no time!

I know a lot of people skip the chimney altogether and use a weedburner attached to a 20 lb tank.

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:20:15 AM »
I used to use the newspaper method. Now I use my weed burner. Works great!

cbpeck beat me to it by mere seconds.  ;) ;)
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

OoPEZoO

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:35:17 AM »
I hate using newspaper due the black confetti thing.  I love the parafin cubes, but you are right that they get a little expensive once you do the math.  I bought like 5 boxes on clearance last year for under a $1 a piece so at least I'm good for awhile.

My long term plan......I have a crappy Char-something stainless steel gas grill taking up space on my deck that needs to be scrapped.  The only thing that hasn't rotted out is the side burner.  I'm condsidering a mod to my OTP to replace one of the side tables with that working side burner.  Now all I need is some free time and a little ambition ;D
-Keith

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 07:50:02 AM »
Over the past winter I used my performer for lighting the chimney. I had a close call using my gasser side burner when a gust of wind knocked the chimney off the burner, so be careful with that. Once I start cooking beyond my backyard again, the lighter cubes will go with me.  Being cheap, I have sliced them in half with a razor blade and they work just fine.
Uncommon sense seeker

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 08:38:24 AM »
A couple paper towels with a drizzle of cheapo Olive Oil works for me.  The paper towels burn up too fast if you don't put some oil on them.  And only 1/100th of the amount of ash confetti that newspapers cause. 

Or the weber cubes.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:00:22 AM »
A couple paper towels with a drizzle of cheapo Olive Oil works for me.  The paper towels burn up too fast if you don't put some oil on them.  And only 1/100th of the amount of ash confetti that newspapers cause. 

Or the weber cubes.

Yup +1! You can pick up one of those food service squirters for a dollar to apply oil to the paper towel without much mess too.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Cuda Dan

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 09:05:01 AM »
I like to use a paper bag because  they burn longer and hotter than paper. I pull the corners down to the bottom and make it into a loose ball. Then just lite a few spots and you should be ready to go in about 10 to 15 minutes.
Two '86 Red OT 22's (sold one G), '85 Red OT 22, '88 Red OT 22's, '93 Red MT 22 (aka Donna), '93 Red SS Performer (non-gas and non-casters), '02 Green OTP( my brother in law has it now), '04 Green OTG

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 09:12:58 AM »
I like the little weber cubes myself.  I used to use newspaper, even drizzled with some oil.  It just got annoying having to keep check it or add another sheet. 

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 09:32:09 AM »
I have used every method I have ever heard or read about, and keep coming back to Weber branded fire starter cubes and a weber branded chimney. 

They are  $3.29 for 24 of them.    Sometimes, if feeling frisky, I cut them in half and use half of one, so my average cost per fire is a little over a dime or so for the cubes.

SlickedBack

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »
I'm partial to the cubes as well. I'm gonna try to cut them in half now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnakiMana

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 10:28:24 AM »
As Cuda Dan mentioned, the brown paper bags, like from the grocery store, are much better than newspaper. And it's free! (try not to use the plastic grocery bags)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 10:32:00 AM »
Good call on the 1/2 cubes.
If I am using a pair of baskets I prefer to use two mini-chimneys instead of one large chimney 3/4 full. The only down side has been using two starter cubes instead of one.
I will try this tonight!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

G$

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »
When I use half cubes, I often  set them atop a piece or two of previously used charcoal to raise them closer to the bottom of the chimney.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 10:58:36 AM »
I get these from an amish store that we go to every so often.

$1.85 is not bad IMO.

I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"
8 MBH, 2 WoodDale, a SCG, and other stuff, including Pellet grills.