Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: When were the RECTANGULAR 'Go-Anywhere' grills introduced?  (Read 4116 times)

saxart

• WKC Ranger
When were the RECTANGULAR 'Go-Anywhere' grills introduced?
« on: March 24, 2014, 06:48:47 PM »
I picked up a neat little cooker this weekend.  It's a Go-Anywhere with the original wooden handles and "K" stampings on the lid dampers (1988).  It's got a couple of dings in it, so it's great for use as a cooker.

I fired it up 5 minutes after pulling in the driveway to char up some Oxtail for a pot of red-beans and Oxtail later that afternoon.

Anyway, when were these fine little cookers introduced?  I have to admit, it's pretty impressive.  (Dare I say, better than an SJ?)   :o
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: When were the RECTANGULAR 'Go-Anywhere' grills introduced?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:05:57 PM »
From memory (which aint what it used to be) there was mention of an A stamped one. Certainly a B.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
Not sure when they introduced the rectangular version but I was researching that very same question this weekend as I just scored 2 of them myself, a P code and an AD code that are super clean unit's. I read somewhere that the original offering of them had them listed as a Smokey Joe version, but I can't find any verifiable info to prove or disprove that statement.   
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:17 PM »
I've got an "A" code 1979 CGA. There's a catalog pic somewhere on here of a CGA from (I believe) a year or two earlier than that...

...and here it is.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:34:57 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Man I sooo want a brown one! A red would be nice too. :)

Ken

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Yeah they would be pretty nice Ken, but that blue that Golly has is serious perv material.. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 09:18:29 PM by mirkwood »
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:10:32 AM »
Check out the 1978 Weber catalog in the Grill Gallery section. It lists the Go Anywhere grill as "All New". However, the 1980 and 81 catalog was also describing them as "All New" as well. No telling how long Weber has been using the term "All New?"
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:46:05 AM »
Man I sooo want a brown one! A red would be nice too. :)

Ken
Man a brownie in would of these or a blue one to match my every day use kettles would be kick a$$.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »
Late '70s or so. There are known red, brown and blue GA's out there. It is interesting to note that back in the day (70s and 80s) the SJ was also nicknamed "The Go Anywhere Grill". The box my '88 K code SJ came in says that on it.

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
It is interesting to note that back in the day (70s and 80s) the SJ was also nicknamed "The Go Anywhere Grill"...

Good point Craig!  That was exactly why I titled this thread with the word "Rectangular" in case some were wondering.   (Didn't want to create confusion)

Now I'm wanting a GA in Brown, Blue, Red, and Grey...   (Another hoarder is born!)   ::)

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »
I have seen a dark green GA once before as well.
Kettle collector AND cooker!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
(and JEFF isn't helping!)  >:(   LOL! 

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 10:09:55 AM »
Late '70s or so. There are known red, brown and blue GA's out there. It is interesting to note that back in the day (70s and 80s) the SJ was also nicknamed "The Go Anywhere Grill". The box my '88 K code SJ came in says that on it.

Thanks Craig, I stand corrected, I couldn't recall exactly what I had read but I do believe it was along the lines of what you stated. I did recall that they both (SJ's and GA's ) shared the same moniker.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »
Yeah they would be pretty nice Ken, but that blue that Golly has is serious perv material..

Yeah, the blue ones are nice. ;D

I also have a NIB grey CGA. I think Golly got a green CGA off gumtree a few weeks ago and there was a green GGA in Boston about 6 months back.

Ken

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »
I have a couple black CGAs with the wood handles. Hard to pass up for less than 10.00

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk.
SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado