Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Frito Pie ABT (WWBD?)  (Read 3376 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Frito Pie ABT (WWBD?)
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:51:09 PM »
In the plaza at Santa Fe New Mexico, there is a WoolWorths store (it is now a five and dime) that invented the "frito pie" back in the 60's.  Concept is simple, split open a bag of fritos, pour on the red or green chilie (yes, thats with an "e") add cheese, onions, sour creme, or what ever you like.  Looks something like this:

I was walking through the grocery store this morning, craving frito pie.  Was stocking up on jalapeños when I thought W.W.B.D.? (what would Buckie do?)

Frito Pie Turds!  Of course!

These looked interesting - already seasoned.

Made up a stuffing of refried beans and mexican cheese blend.  Could have added other items but decided to keep it simple:

Fired up Jerome to do what he does best:

The payoff:

The technique is to stuff a small ball of filling in first, add 3 Fritos (the straight ones work best) and stuff with more filling.

Tasty!  I think I am going to get some Green Chillies, grown in Hatch New Mexico (sometimes called Anaheims on the west coast), and do some extra large turds with lots of stuffing.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Frito Pie ABT (WWBD?)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 05:05:53 PM »

Now........................W. D. I. T. O. T. ?    

Why Didn't I Think Of That?

That's, by leaps & bounds, my favorite chip !!!!

I've eaten billions of them...... :o

Good Show & Capital Idea !!!!!

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

HalfGrilled

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:13:01 PM »
Wow. Nice shots and cool idea! They look tasty.

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:04:54 PM »
I dont know whats cooler, the fact you made an incarnation Frito pie on a WEBER or the fact that you buying a bag of fritos contributed to my 401k ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:07:47 PM by Vwbuggin64 »
Rollin coal

26" 2010 AD Code (Black), 22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” 2018 CB (Crimson),22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 09:59:32 PM »
Peggy Hill makes a mean Frito Pie!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:56:09 PM »

You know Sis?

Is this one of my long lost cousins from Minnesota?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »
Looks like something to try sometime.  Makes me hungry just looking at them.
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Tim in PA

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 05:30:42 AM »
Winz, those "frito pies" are becoming all the rage now. They are calling them "walking tacos" some silly thing like that. I think most places are using doritos but some do the frito thing too. Interesting that it is originally from the '60s. I wonder what exec came across them and had an "ah ha" moment.
-2012 Black Performer-2006 Green OTG-2009 Q Gasser-

javahog2002

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 05:43:43 AM »
I know high school concession stands sell those walking tacos since they are cheap and easy. Of course they have the good green chilie.

Sent from my Atari 2600 using Tapatalk.

SSP '00-WSM 18.5-WSM 22.0-'90 MT-Hasty Bake Cado

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »
A little history on this tasty concoction.  Once you try it, you will crave it.  Has to be frito-based for me:

Frito pie
Frito pie falls squarely in the realm of trash food, which isn't to say it doesn't have wondrous charms.  Tear open a bag of Fritos, dump on a pile of chili and a sprinkling of cheese, and tuck in, quick. No plates, please. Brilliant.
Bake it in a casserole if you must, but most Texas football fans will root for the chili-in-bag option.
At least two creation myths exist for this humble delicacy, and good luck resolving them.
The more official of the two is rooted in Texas. Dallas-based Frito-Lay has at times attributed the invention to Daisy Dean Doolin, mother of founder Elmer Doolin. Elmer Doolin founded the company in 1932, his mom cooked the first Fritos chips in her kitchen and the official tale dates Frito pie back nearly that far. Certainly, the pie (which is really anything but a pie) has been satisfying Texas football spectators for decades.
Legend No. 2 is based farther west, in Santa Fe, N.M.,  where Teresa Hernandez, a worker at a Woolworth's lunch counter, is said to have concocted it in the '60s. Such is the power of this tale that the same downtown counter — the Woolworth's long gone — still serves it up.
What's the secret behind the pie? In 1986, writer Michael Hilton posited one theory in Texas Monthly that “the Frito retains its crispness even when chock-full of grease. Try chili on top of potato chips, if you don't believe me. In fact, try chili with Doritos or Tostitos or any one of the other, dry corn chips. It won't do. The Frito has integrity.”
As does Frito pie. Almost crazily simple, yet capable of inducing a lifetime worth of cravings, it's the perfect example of how the delicious whole can be greater than the sum of its greasy parts.
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.