Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Green OTP & an Adventure!  (Read 3950 times)

GC8

• WKC Brave
Green OTP & an Adventure!
« on: March 13, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »
Grab a drink - I've got a story for ya...

We'll start at square one, I was doing my typical CL browsing: Weber, Webber, Grill, Charcoal, etc.  Well, I happened upon an ad "Moving Sale - Everything Must Go!!!" while doing my "charcoal" search and think what the heck...might as well take the 2 seconds and check out the posting.  I immediately see the pic of the Weber and see that it's a green One Touch Platinum and for only $15 to boot...awesome!!!  Go through the e-mail niceties and schedule a pick up. 

Here comes the fun part, I show up after work with the truck in farmland MN and go to the side door as the guy asked...I figured he just wants to meet me in the garage and do a quick handoff.  I'm cool with that.  Well, he opens the door and turns out this little area that I thought was a workshop was actually a rental unit off a nicer house.  This rental unit had all of a couch with a sheet over it, a coffee table, and ash trays everywhere...the guy who answered is shirtless.  Great start, right?!  Next, his lovely lady comes waltzing out of the bedroom with cig in hand and no pants and not the good kind of no pants.  As Chad A. helped to describe it, imagine Wendy from Breaking Bad.  Funny, because these individuals were definitely on something and not knowing enough about drugs, let's just say it was meth.  Oh ya, and they had a pitbull but I'm not holding that against them because I'm an equal opportunity dog lover...pitties included!

I did what I typically do in weird situations...try to make conversations!  So I asked them, "So you're moving soon, huh?".  Lady just stands there smoking and staring at me while the fine gentleman answers with a, "Yup".  In an attempt to break the ice, I make the joke "You're leaving MN after Winter!?"...if you knew anything about Minnesotans, we love to talk about the weather.  I get a nice reply of, "Ya, well...we're being forced out of the state.".  Well, this just keeps getting better!

We're making progress though, the guy has put a shirt on!  The gal remained pantless though.  Alright, we're making our way into a barn area where I the grill is located.  As we're walking back there, I think to myself how this looks like a perfect place to get murdered.  Quick, make more conversation!  Started asking him about his dog because every dog owner loves to talk about their dog!  While we're on our way back, he mentions that he has a chimney starter that goes with the grill...okay, things are looking good!  He shows me the grill and it's got a cracked plastic table...but oh well, for $15 I can't complain.  Plus, with a great idea from grasmussen, I'm going to build a wooden table to replace the plastic one. Then as we're carrying the grill out, he asks if I cook with charcoal (refer back to the probable drug use) and I play along and pretend like that wasn't a stupid question.  Then he goes back in the barn and comes out with a big, unopened back of Royal Oak lump! 

I load everything up, chat with the guy for a while who turns out to be a decent guy who probably just got into some bad stuff, then I'm on my way. 

Now, onto the pictures!

DT - 2003

The whole haul

A little bit of Tetris in the garage, and she fits snugly until Summer arrives

'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
Re: Green OTP & an Adventure!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 04:24:01 PM »
Nice pickup, the charcoal alone must be worth that. Glad you made it back alive. :)

Quite the storyteller too, unfortunately I was able to picture the scene. ;D

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
Good story and nice pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:36:10 PM »
This pants less Wendy, are we talking porky pig style, or some sort of coverage?

GC8

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
There was a shirt!  Pants were absent and the shirt didn't do much to remedy this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'79 22.5" Brownie - '00 Black SS Performer - '03 Green OTP - SJS Mini-WSM - Jumbo Joe - 22.5" Happy Cooker - '07 SJS

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »
Great story. That OTP looks right at home in there.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
EPIC STORY!!   

Isn't it great who ya meet on the local CL?

BTW..  After seeing your kettle-stash, I see I am DIRECTLY responsible for 2 of them, so if you ever get in trouble with the GF, don't be afraid to use me as a stomping-block.  It's all my fault...   8)
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:42:38 PM »
Great save!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 04:36:11 AM »
Awesome! I hope you not having nightmares...  ;D

tattooedant

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 10:05:42 AM »
You get the best deals from meth-heads!...congrats.
NYC Kettle Hunter (where <30 min drives do not exist)

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
You tell the story well, that was a fun read!  Congrats on the score too!
Uncommon sense seeker

Weber MD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
Great story.  Post pics once you've changed out the table.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »
Now, onto the pictures!

I read the whole story, and when I got to the line above I thought we were getting pictures of "Wendy".

Oh well...

Nice story and nice score!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Thin Blue Smoke

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 08:49:44 AM »
Ha.... I wonder what he "cooked" on the kettle.

Bman

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 09:57:01 AM »
Ha.... I wonder what he "cooked" on the kettle.

And THIS is why I give every Kettle/Gasser/WSM a FULL cleaning before using.  lol
I've always had gas...  And now a bunch of kettles because of this place.  Thanks!