Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wood Dale Handles  (Read 23459 times)

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Wood Dale Handles
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2014, 01:28:13 PM »
i have in my notebook that the arlington heights factory was opened in 62.
they moved to palatine in 83.

trying to find the source now

Finally......something that makes sense as to why there are hardly any "D" Codes.....................1982
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »
Keep in mind the US economy was in the toilet in 1982. Unemployment was scary high. I lost my second job that year, and ultimately my first home. Had a one year old son. Ultimately moved out of state (from Minnesota to Maryland) to find work. Noone was hiring, I was literally showing up and begging for work. I camped out in a small tent on a cross country job-finding trip, and knocked on a lot of doors. It was tough. I doubt many people were buying grills that year. It certainly was the last thing on my mind. Another reason why so few "D"s I suspect.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2014, 01:46:24 PM »
Keep in mind the US economy was in the toilet in 1982. Unemployment was scary high. I lost my second job that year, and ultimately my first home. Had a one year old son. Ultimately moved out of state (from Minnesota to Maryland) to find work. Noone was hiring, I was literally showing up and begging for work. I camped out in a small tent on a cross country job-finding trip, and knocked on a lot of doors. It was tough. I doubt many people were buying grills that year. It certainly was the last thing on my mind. Another reason why so few "D"s I suspect.

holy crap.
i had no idea.
not sure if they don't teach that in schools, or if i just didn't pay attention.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »

Yeah Marty, I do remember that time pretty well, but in a bit different light.....was solidly employed, moonliting at another place that had a ton of work & was being actively pursued by a third place...the lady hounded me for three years to go to work for her........also went to a helluva lot of Dead shows around that time........ 8)

I can see that making sense why they would not produce a bunch, but also if your machinery is being moved, it's really hard to make stuff !!!! 

MartyG

• WKC Performer
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »
People today groan about the economy. Pansies! I was paying 14% on my mortgage. That was average. I was driving a 20 year old car that I did all the maintenance on including an engine rebuild. Not by choice. Of course, No Internet. No cell phones. It would be a few more years before VCRs were a reality. No cable TV. My only set was a 13". I took the bus to work most days. We used cloth diapers for my son until he was trained. Yes, cloth - and no diaper service if you know what I mean. I played drums in a crappy wedding/polka band for an extra $100 a week. I could go on, but you are right, that period of our history is lost. Good riddance.

Craig

• WKC Mod
Wood Dale Handles
« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »
Hey Brian isn't one of your wood handledChestnut Coppertones a Wood Dale? I thought the one you got from Shaun was a woody..Also there is a red wood handles MBH stamped Wood Dale on here as well..

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2014, 03:07:20 PM »
People today groan about the economy. Pansies! I was paying 14% on my mortgage. That was average. I was driving a 20 year old car that I did all the maintenance on including an engine rebuild. Not by choice. Of course, No Internet. No cell phones. It would be a few more years before VCRs were a reality. No cable TV. My only set was a 13". I took the bus to work most days. We used cloth diapers for my son until he was trained. Yes, cloth - and no diaper service if you know what I mean. I played drums in a crappy wedding/polka band for an extra $100 a week. I could go on, but you are right, that period of our history is lost. Good riddance.

....I used to trudge thru the snow to run a hand-cranked mimeograph in the back of a cold, dark unheated warehouse.....ah, the Nixon years....... 8)

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2014, 04:18:35 PM »
Now the 18 never changed and it is still that way.  Not sure why one is one way and the 18 is the other.

Since the 18 lids are like mini flat tops, I would guess the reason is because there isnt enough room between the end of the handle and the beginning of the curvature of the lid to fit a vent.  Its a space issue.  Just a guess.....

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
Now the 18 never changed and it is still that way.  Not sure why one is one way and the 18 is the other.

Since the 18 lids are like mini flat tops, I would guess the reason is because there isnt enough room between the end of the handle and the beginning of the curvature of the lid to fit a vent.  Its a space issue.  Just a guess.....

That's what I was thinking too.

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
Info is still good, but you know here at the WKC we are gonna get to the bottom of it.....
Definitely. 8)

If the Arlington factory opened in '62 then would those grills in the catalog be Wood Dales or Arlington's? Also, does anyone have the cover to that '62 catalog?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:26:12 PM by Duke »

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »

Good riddance? Shoot, I'd do anything to have them days back again no matter how bad it was. Back then, I had two legs that actually worked!
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2014, 07:46:01 PM »
If the Arlington factory opened in '62 then would those grills in the catalog be Wood Dales or Arlington's? Also, does anyone have the cover to that '62 catalog?

Pure speculation on my part, but I've got to think that there was wood dale inventory in 62 during the transition to the new factory.  Unless Arlington was opened in Jan, Feb, or March of 62, I would bet that most of the production was from the Wood Dale factory.

You would think at a minimum, that Weber would use up all the inventory of vents from Wood Dale rather than throw them away - meaning it is possible to have a kettle made in Arlington with Wood Dale parts.

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2014, 07:51:04 PM »

Pure speculation on my part, but I've got to think that there was wood dale inventory in 62 during the transition to the new factory.  Unless Arlington was opened in Jan, Feb, or March of 62, I would bet that most of the production was from the Wood Dale factory.

You would think at a minimum, that Weber would use up all the inventory of vents from Wood Dale rather than throw them away - meaning it is possible to have a kettle made in Arlington with Wood Dale parts.

Winz

I think my Wood Dale is one that is from this transition period. Wood Dale vent with wood handles.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:53:02 PM by ramsfan »
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2014, 05:49:49 AM »
This is from an article from 2002 called the Grill Out Times and Weber comments on the "wooden insulators" being added in 1964.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2014, 05:52:27 AM »
Info is still good, but you know here at the WKC we are gonna get to the bottom of it.....
Definitely. 8)

YOU were the first person I ever saw post that picture!   Where did you get it?
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X