Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizza Kettle first run  (Read 3152 times)

Winz

• WKC Ranger
Pizza Kettle first run
« on: January 26, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »
Fired up my newly purchased pizza kettle over the weekend.  My technique:

Filled 2 briquet baskets half full of lump and put them at the back of the grill.  Filled a chimney starter 3/4 of kingsford and fired it up.  Once ready, I poured the lit charcoal over the lump, and placed 3 fist-sized chunks of applewood on top.

I put the bottom grate on with the pizza stone, and then put the pizza kettle kit on.  To keep the top heat close to the pizza, on top of the kettle kit, I place another grill rack covered with foil and then fire brick like so:

Put the lid on and watched the temp climb well past the 750 degree max reading on the pizza kettle.

I cooked 4 pizzas, each taking about 4-5 minutes.  I could have easily done 2-3 more with the same heat.  It was pretty cool to see how quickly they cooked - just like a real pizza oven.  The only casualty in the process was my pizza stone which clearly was not meant for such high temps:

The stone broke pretty early in the cook, but I still managed to use it for all 4 pizzas by moving the broken pieces next to each other using some very long tongs.

I am considering either a lodge 14" cast iron pizza pan, or a red sky grilling stone (rated to 2300 degrees) as my next upgrade.  Any experience with either?

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Beef

• Smokey Joe
Re: Pizza Kettle first run
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:52:43 PM »
Wow, that is impressive. I love my Lodge cast iron, using semolina as a isolation component.

I would like to find a good stone to compare, but just have not wanted to splurge yet . . .

Stone cant possibly absorb moisture at those temps can it?   

Numerous pre 79 kettles
Weber Seville Cart
One rare 1960's hooded rotissery grill, Like your dad had

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 04:56:18 AM »
No pizza pics ....  :-\ :'( :'( ;)

I like your method. Pretty much the same as mine. Produces excellent results!  :) :)

Too bad about your pizza stone.

I highly recommend a kiln shelf. Can handle temps over 2000℉.
That is what I use, and it has performed like a champ.

Can pick them up at a pottery supply store. Here is link for one.

http://www.axner.com/cordierite-shelf-15roundx58.aspx
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »
I like your method. Pretty much the same as mine. Produces excellent results!

MacEggs,

I got the idea for the foil/firebrick from you.  Good call - it worked well in keeping the heat near the pies.  I did not post any pizza pics as I did not have my camera.  The photos above were taken during the "aftermath".

Thanks for the heads up on the kiln shelf - looks to provide the same benefit as a high temp pizza stone at less than half the price.

I love my Lodge cast iron, using semolina as a isolation component

Beef,

I like the idea of using cast iron, but have read that very high temps (~1000 degrees) ruins the "seasoning" of the cast iron.  Has that been your experience?

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

HankB

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
If you decide to go CI, check out the pizza pan at Bed Bath ad Beyond http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/Camp-Chef-14-Inch-Cast-Iron-Pizza-Pan/1017375490

I'm a huge fan of Lodge but also like to save $$$. ;)
kettles, smokers...