Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Hey! I'm a Smokey Joe!!  (Read 6601 times)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
Hey! I'm a Smokey Joe!!
« on: January 14, 2014, 07:44:45 AM »
I just noticed my forum status is now at "Smokey Joe", and what better way to to celebrate that milestone but to get dizzy on my SJ and its homemade rotisserie ring!

Took some Prime Sirloin Cap Strips from Costco, soaked them overnight in Allegro Soy-Lime & Horseradish marinade and threaded them on some forks, fired up a ring of Charcos Coconut Shell briqs (mourning the fact that my local bLowes won't be stocking it) tossed a couple Oak wine barrel chunks for smoke and got spinnin'!

These did not suck, unlike Lowes!

Stay hungry my friends!

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Hey! I'm a Smokey Joe!!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:47:47 AM »
I'm actually surprised this is the first time i've seen a SJ roti. Bravo, Swamprb!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:39:48 AM »
Looks great. Nice set up!

Craig

• WKC Mod
Hey! I'm a Smokey Joe!!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:07:30 AM »
I like that! Please share what you used to make the ring. Is it one of the tamale pots? :)

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 12:10:19 PM »
Beautiful..
BBQ are never enough

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 04:31:00 PM »
I like that! Please share what you used to make the ring. Is it one of the tamale pots? :)

I took a 15 gallon drum and cut it @ 1" below the first rib and crimped the edges so it fits both the Mini Cajun Bandit and the Smokey Joe. Made two U shaped cutouts and mounted a Cajun Bandit motor mount.

I like it for small cooks or reverse searing.

And it's tall enough to use the grate as well.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
Very nice set up, thanks for sharing. Did the charcoal holder come with the Cajun? Just noticed it in one of the pics. Again nice set up.
What do you use to keep the lower vent from clogging with ash?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:37:38 AM »
Nice setup!
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:58:17 AM »
Cool setup for sure!  I like it a lot.  Congrats on your 100th post!  No more Smokey Joe for you.  You are now officially a "Brave" 
Now you need to create another cool contraption for your new name!
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 09:44:48 PM »
man that is so cool.

what's the allegro soy-lime horseradish marinade?
bottled?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
Very nice set up, thanks for sharing. Did the charcoal holder come with the Cajun? Just noticed it in one of the pics. Again nice set up.
What do you use to keep the lower vent from clogging with ash?

I drilled three 3/4" intake vents in the SJS bowl and regulate the draft with ground magnets. Ash falls to bottom so no problems with clogging for me!

BBQ Guru ready!

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:27:09 AM »
Great looking cook-up!

And, outstanding mods! Thanks for sharing. :D
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 03:38:43 AM »
man that is so cool.

what's the allegro soy-lime horseradish marinade?
bottled?
Here ya go!

http://www.allegromarinade.com/products

Its available at Safeway & QFC in the Northwest, they also bottle and distribute Blues Hog Sauces, but can't get them to stock it in the stores.

The Gold Buckle Brisket Sauce is a great marinade for brisket!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 06:05:24 PM »
DANG IT!!!

The thought of an SJ-based Roti just popped into my head about a month ago and I've been trying to keep it under wraps until I could find a small barrel to make one out of, but I guess you beat me to it.    ???

Wow, really nice job!   Mind if I ask how tall the 'center section' with the roti is?  (I'm still thinking of making one)

Again, well done!
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.