Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Another forum branch  (Read 7879 times)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Another forum branch
« on: September 26, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
I know this is the Weber Kettle Club but what about the idea of a sub forum for other old grills? I confess I have no idea how hard it is to create these branches and I know you've got a full plate with the site as is.
     I also am into old hot rods and have seen the NSRA and other old car groups begin to open their doors to later makes. They still keep the center stage for the older traditional cars but have a separate area for the newer stuff, some into the early 60s, some into the early 70s.
    There isnt a a good gathering place for info about these other grills. You can search the BBQ Bretheren site and get some info , Hasty Bake has a very limited forum and they along with Portable Kitchen have some info on their Facebook pages but no central collection exists.
    I know there wouldn't be a ton of interest but as grill collectors I think most of us have at least been tempted by some of the "competition ". Maybe you could call it the "also ran" forum or the "Island of Misfit toys".

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
Re: Another forum branch
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
P.S. I also think this is the better "Weber" site to host it since its more mature (in a good way not the old way). I haven't seen anyone " over here" jump up and down and lose their shit when other grills have been mentioned.

Casey

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
P.S. I also think this is the better "Weber" site to host it since its more mature (in a good way not the old way).

I'll give you three reasons why this site is the best Weber site.  lumpe, borell and allingspam aren't here.    ;D

packers!  :P

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 08:44:45 PM by Casey »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 09:13:13 PM »
Now thats just funny! I don;t care whou ya are!

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »
We could call it "2nd cousins". ;)

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »
 :o now I'm gonna feel creepy playing with them.....but they're soooo hot!

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:24 AM »
:o now I'm gonna feel creepy playing with them.....but they're soooo hot!
and TOTALLY LEAGAL!!!...........................................................in some states

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »
I'm all Weber at this point but I do like seeing the old "others" that people pick up.  Especially older than the 70's and 80's, back when they put style into everything.  Some of those would look good next to my weber family. 

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 11:33:19 AM »
I'm all Weber at this point but I do like seeing the old "others" that people pick up.  Especially older than the 70's and 80's, back when they put style into everything.  Some of those would look good next to my weber family.

"others"..."others"... I GOT it! "Brothers from another mother"

DoppelBock

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
P.S. I also think this is the better "Weber" site to host it since its more mature (in a good way not the old way). I haven't seen anyone " over here" jump up and down and lose their shit when other grills have been mentioned.

Like they say, it's not the cooker but the cook. My cooker preference will always be a Weber, but there ARE some pretty cool grills and bbq's, old and new, out there. Growing up we had a flat round charcoal grill, no lid but decked out with a half hood and rotisserie; very cheap but did the job beautifully.

Eastex

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »
I wonder what Scarlett Johannsons second cousins think about is subject ??? Sorry , what were we talking about?

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »
thanks for the suggestion!

If interest and discussion on other cookers picks up, we'll definitely create another category.

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
There is some really cool vintage BBQ items out there. Sadly these rare icons of America's past are ending up in landfills across the country.

Aside from a few name brand specific collectors, I am not aware of a whole category collection site.  The BBQ Hall of Flame has good pictures of his personal collection.

I think the effort to preserve and promote any BBQ related subject is worth a shot.  But I might be that "crazy guy down the street" with all the grills.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:11:23 AM by reillyranch »

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 06:35:48 AM »
I think the effort to preserve and promote any BBQ related subject is worth a shot.  But I might be that "crazy guy down the street" with all the grills.
No that would be HeyJude.  :D

reillyranch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:42 AM »
Hey EastTex,

What grills would you like to see represented?

A few possibilities are Portable Kitchen, Kenmore, Cooking Kettle, Big Boy, Strutco, Hasty Bake, Charmglow and Charbroil.  They all date back over 50 years and would be great to see some vintage models.

I know there are others, this is just a start.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:48:04 AM by reillyranch »