Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: How to make a Gummi Chicken Ballotine  (Read 5801 times)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
How to make a Gummi Chicken Ballotine
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:09 PM »
Debone a chicken.

Jacques Pepin can help you debone it if necessary with his video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

Cook the spanish rice.

Put rice into chicken. Tie up chicken.

Crank up the heat, throw on performer, and turn once the side closest to the fire gets toasted. Cooking temp was approx 400F.

Pull off when golden brown.

Cut and Enjoy!

"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Duke

• The Duke
Re: How to make a Gummi Chicken Ballotine
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 01:20:56 AM »
All I have to say is Killer! 8)

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 08:48:00 AM »
This is the kind of cook I want to be able to do.  Looks great.  The rice looks amazing.  Like a simple Paella.  I'm going to add peas to my Spanish rice next time.  I might have to try to prep this at home and take it to the beach to cook.  Nice job!
WTB 18 fruit

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »
This is the kind of cook I want to be able to do.  Looks great.  The rice looks amazing.  Like a simple Paella.  I'm going to add peas to my Spanish rice next time.  I might have to try to prep this at home and take it to the beach to cook.  Nice job!

You can do it! There's this amazing Spanish cooking store in Berkeley called Spanish table. You/we should check it out!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:49 AM »
All I have to say is Killer! 8)

Thanks, Mr. Duke!

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »

You can do it! There's this amazing Spanish cooking store in Berkeley called Spanish table. You/we should check it out!

Oh, yes, I'm familiar with The Spanish Table.  My bro bought his Paella pans and gas setup there. Great spot.  it's the technical aspects of deboning a chicken and then trussing it up that are a bit daunting.  I'm going to have to try it, though. 
WTB 18 fruit

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »
Showed my wife, she is very impress with your cook. She tried deboning a chicken before and she said it was not easy. I might have to buy her a half a dozen chickens at Costco so she can practice deboning. LOL.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:20:30 AM »
Thanks for this! Not only, your cook, but the link to Pepin's deboning technique is incredible. I love the little chicken wing "lollipops." Gotta try this one for sure!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 11:31:55 AM »
Thanks for this! Not only, your cook, but the link to Pepin's deboning technique is incredible. I love the little chicken wing "lollipops." Gotta try this one for sure!!

Thanks, Mark. I love chicken lollipops. Growing up, my  grandma would make them with a lemon and soy marinade, lightly bread them, then fry. I don't make the lollipops too often, but a while back a made some buffalo chicken lolly's:

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
My mom used to make the chicken lollipops.  I tried to do it once but found it to be too time consuming.  Then I watched that Pepin video and now I want to try it again. 
Gummi, those buffalo lollipops look freaking incredible.  I can almost taste them!
WTB 18 fruit

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 05:05:14 PM »
I did two of these tonight, Gummi. I just used a Pepperidge Farms stuffing mix but it turned out amazing. I'll definitely be doing it again. My chicken sure didn't look at pretty as Pepin's did. And it didn't take me a few minutes to debone it like he said! More like ten or fifteen minutes apiece. But considering that it was my first try at it, it wasn't too bad.

This one'll be a part of my regular arsenal for sure. Thanks again for sharing it!!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
I did two of these tonight, Gummi. I just used a Pepperidge Farms stuffing mix but it turned out amazing. I'll definitely be doing it again. My chicken sure didn't look at pretty as Pepin's did. And it didn't take me a few minutes to debone it like he said! More like ten or fifteen minutes apiece. But considering that it was my first try at it, it wasn't too bad.

This one'll be a part of my regular arsenal for sure. Thanks again for sharing it!!

Pics, Mark? I think the secret to this is a short sharp knife. The shortness allows you to cut around the joints much easier and since penetration is low short is ok. Jacques uses what looks like a paring knife and the Japanese use a really pointy knife called a honesuki.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
Sorry, no pics. I just didn't plan very well for that. I had intended to so I could add it to this thread. I got lots of oohs and ahhs when I brought it into the kitchen though!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
Gorgeous, Gummi! 

And man, Jacques Pepin is 10 feet tall!  I've followed his deboning instructions from one of his books, but this video shows what an incredible master of cooking he is.  No wonder so many pro chefs venerate him.

(btw, I was kinda bragging to my BIL at Xmas about deboning a chicken, and my other BIL who is a chef kinda interrupted to kindly tell me about one of his final exams in culinary school, where he 'glove deboned' (no cutting of the skin at all) a *QUAIL*.    Yeah, I shut up after that.  lol.)
One of the charcoal people.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 06:05:09 PM »
That looks amazing!