Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 1st Tri Tip  (Read 3970 times)

salad

• WKC Ranger
1st Tri Tip
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
Had some time this afternoon and decided to try grilling a tri tip.  I made a simple rub of kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Applied the rub and let sit for 45 min.  With lump in the grill, the plan was to go direct for 10 min. each side and then indirect for roughly a half hour.  Here's where the fun started.  The lean side charred pretty quickly and I didn't want to burn it so I flipped it early to the fat side.  The tri tip was EN FUEGO!!!!!!  Holy Shnikes, like 5 alarms.  Well, after fighting the flames for a couple of minutes I said forget direct and moved it to the indirect side and covered for 15. Flipped it again and let it go another 15 covered.  Rested it for 12min or so.  Even with no clue what I was doing, it came out awesome.  Next time I'm going to go indirect and then a quick sear at the end, if needed. 

Typical Santa Maria Tri Tip has dried parsley in the rub which got me thinking about a Chimichurri sauce.  I went 50/50 with flat leaf parsley and cilantro, then added minced garlic, oregano, olive oil, red wine vinegar, S&P, and a pinch of pepper flake.  BOOM.   

Can't beat a tri tip for $3.50lb.  I'm excited about the sandwiches to come.  A cook like this makes me so glad I have kettles.  Even after some early struggles and having absolutely no clue as to what I was doing, the cover came off and it was like magic. 
WTB 18 fruit

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
Re: 1st Tri Tip
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
Looks delicious. Well done! 

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:13:33 PM »
That looks really good, but your sauce makes it look even better!
I love tri-tip, wish I could find some for that price around here right now...
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

peshewah

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Nice!

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:06:19 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm really looking forward to dialing in exactly how to do a quality tri tip cook!
WTB 18 fruit

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 10:15:17 PM »
That looks top notch salad, Just about perfectly cooked.
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 12:46:00 AM »
That tri tip looks great. Even better for a first go!

Well done.

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 02:24:09 AM »
Looks great...
BBQ are never enough

argentflame

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 09:51:42 AM »
Excellent cook. Where did you find a deal on the tritip. Paid way more last time I bought one.

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 10:37:09 AM »
^See that's the curious thing.  I did some shopping around here to see what the avg. cost per lb was.  I went to Costco and they are charging $6.99 (choice).  I then when to Raley's (black angus, choice, I think) and they are charging either $5.99 or $6.99, I can' t remember.  I went to Lucky and they have two types.  One is "untrimmed" for $6.99.  The other is "trimmed" for $3.49 (both choice).  I'm not sure what "trimmed" means because it had a fat cap so it can't mean the cap was trimmed off.  Shouldn't a "trimmed" cut (more work) cost more than an untrimmed cut?  Maybe someone with some cut knowledge can chime in.  Because it was the first time I tried this, I went for the cheapest cut and I wasn't disappointed with it.  I think I'm going to go back and get another one for this Sun. NFL games. 
WTB 18 fruit

MaxBobcat

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 10:54:10 AM »
Yes, trimed tritip should cost more than untrimmed.  Maybe they had a good sale or maybe it was mispriced?

http://www.tipsycook.com/tri-tip-trimmed-or-untrimmed/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 10:56:19 AM by MaxBobcat »

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 11:08:11 AM »
^See that's the curious thing.  I did some shopping around here to see what the avg. cost per lb was.  I went to Costco and they are charging $6.99 (choice).  I then when to Raley's (black angus, choice, I think) and they are charging either $5.99 or $6.99, I can' t remember.  I went to Lucky and they have two types.  One is "untrimmed" for $6.99.  The other is "trimmed" for $3.49 (both choice).  I'm not sure what "trimmed" means because it had a fat cap so it can't mean the cap was trimmed off.  Shouldn't a "trimmed" cut (more work) cost more than an untrimmed cut?  Maybe someone with some cut knowledge can chime in.  Because it was the first time I tried this, I went for the cheapest cut and I wasn't disappointed with it.  I think I'm going to go back and get another one for this Sun. NFL games.

Sam's / Costco / even Restaurant Depot will be $5.99 & up......not exactly sure why.....maybe just 'cause they know they can get that much.......

With Raley's, the 'trimmed' will likely mean some fat trimmed, but not 'peeled' like say Costco's, which the fatcap is completely gone......I want that fatcap, it's where a bunch of the flavor comes from.... !!!!!
 Great you scored @ Lucky's ( that's Sav-Mart in this area) usually their's are Select grade, not Angus.............
Reasoning for the price difference may possibly be the $3.49's are a day or two older & they've ordered too much for the weeks' sale...............a lot of times Raley's will have bags, untrimmed, for $2.99-$3.49 & the gussied-up singles will be $4.99 & up at the same time................................. the stuff freezes great....I have 8-10 in small bags & individuals froze right now............maybe go stock up !!!!!!

PS: Great Cookup !!!!!!!
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

salad

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 12:36:29 PM »
^Well, looks like I should have bought them up all up a couple days ago, lol.  Just ran over to the same Lucky and sure enough, the same "trimmed" tri tip is $7.49 /lb while "untrimmed" is still $6.99.  I think they must have been mislabeled when I bought the one.  Damn.  Oh well, at least I got one, lol. 
WTB 18 fruit

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:15:49 PM »
Looks amazing.  Just like you pulled it exactly at the right moment. 
Kettle collector AND cooker!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
I can't believe thats your first tri-tip!  I am doing one right now. Marinated in some Itailian dressing..
Depending on where ytou get them, the price will be as low as $3.50 a lb for untrimmed.
I bought one at Safeway for $3.99. Trimmed..
Smart and Final has them in a big bag and the pirce is pretty good.
Can;t beat tri-tip for an all around bbq meat.. The leftovers are awesome!  8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..