Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Resto Update/Questions  (Read 8367 times)

G

• WKC Ranger
Ranch Resto Update/Questions
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »
With the Ranch finding a new home in the garage, I couldnt help but tinkering with it a little bit this weekend.  I hosed out the inside and gave it a quick steel wool scrub to remove caked on grease/ash.  Afterwards, I followed HeyJude's suggestion and tried warm soapy water with a green scrub pad with no luck.  I moved up to lacquer thinner and 0000 steel wool.  With some elbow grease, the dull grey paint gave way to expose a dull brick red paint, then the underlying porcelain.  I was able to clear a small area and to my surprise, this grill was originally red (see lip of lid).  The porcelain, which has a light pink color, is in fair condition near the sides of the lid but appears to be almost completey gone at the top.  The darker circles in the photos are areas of bare metal.

I also removed and polished the legs...

and straightened and polished part of the triangle (I ran out of time before finishing)

The wheels are in pretty rough shape. 

This is going to take some time to strip both the lid and bowl.  In the meantime, a few questions for the pros...
1) Can the wheel tread be repaired?
2) The thumbscrews on two of the legs are rusted tight.  What is the best way to remove them and preserve the threading for future use?
3) Looking ahead, will some sort of finish be needed to prevent rust in areas of bare metal?
4) Will the current Ranch grates sold by Weber fit this grill?  The width of the bowl is just over 37".  Id prefer not to spend the money on a new set so Im open for other ideas.

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 05:42:40 PM by G »

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
Re: Ranch Resto Update/Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:38:59 AM »
Wow that does look pretty rough.....  But 40, right?   Not too bad.....

I didn't think they made red ranches..... Interesting.
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »
An original red ranch! :o

I would leave it as clost to original as possible even if it's a faded pink in areas. Otherwise repaint it red with 900 degree red. It should hold and it's at least shiney.

The legs and triangle look good. What is your polishing method?

You can either just glue the rubber back on the wheel or you can get some new tread by buying a fanbelt that matches and cutting it to fit.

On the thumb screws, load it up with WD40 an let it sit. Then use a channel locks and work it loose. You can also just put new legs cut to fit on it.

I'm not sure about the bare metal needing anything. It might not if it has any type of galvanizing.

On the grates. Considering the cost of a new one, they will fit, but I would try a rust remover and a wire wheel. Then load it up with food grade oil and start cooking some greasy chicken and pork on it to coat it further and build up a seasoning. If you don't like that then recover it with expanded metal including the bottom one.

Please share more pictures of the whole thing. It's so cool to know they really did make a red ranch! Sorry for doubting yopu all these years Jeff. ;)

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 09:11:07 AM »
BTW, here's a link to another. http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?2411-Ever-see-a-RED-Weber-Ranch-Kettle-Here-s-one!

You could powder coat it, but it is pricey.

G

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
Thanks for the link....thats a great story and seems to corroborate with the pink color that Im uncovering.  As for polishing, I took some lessons learned from this great site and bought Mothers Mag Aluminum polish.  The stuff works amazingly well.

Im planning to leave it as is and use the original legs and wheels. More pics will be provided as I progress.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
The stuff I swear by for busting those fused together rusty bolts is a product called PB blaster.  They sell it at home depot.  It is the best for rust.  Spray it on and leave it for a while, and come back later.  It's awesome. 

Brian
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 06:53:29 PM »
PB blaster and Wait.. Spray some more and wait some more. Don't even think of twisting it for a couple weeks.. Spray, wait and repeat..mostly wait..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »
I can usually crack it in an hour or so....you don't like it AJ?  I have had nothing but luck with it

Brian

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »
PB Blaster, I have to agree, the one I purchased tonight, one touch didn't move. Half our later, working and saved me $20.00 for a while. Use it on a bunch a stuff and has never failed.

Greg

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:55:29 PM »
I like PB balster. i was just saying that you need to let it do its work. Sometimes that 10 minutes, sometimes its days..
I have another product that the name fails me, it ws given to me and I used it on some rusty locks.
It was amazing.. I will get back to you on the name. You can;t buy it just anywhere..
I have alwyas been a WD-40 kind of guy, but its gotten so overpriced.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 05:53:13 PM »
I like PB balster. i was just saying that you need to let it do its work. Sometimes that 10 minutes, sometimes its days..
I have another product that the name fails me, it ws given to me and I used it on some rusty locks.
It was amazing.. I will get back to you on the name. You can;t buy it just anywhere..
I have alwyas been a WD-40 kind of guy, but its gotten so overpriced.

Thanks for this tidbit of information,  the fact that you can't remember the name is real helpful.  It's like someone at work asking for a tool and someone else responding with I have one at home.  I'm glad you took the time to post this.....
You must have got a hold of some pretty good stuff huh....listening to to many Beatle albums I guess

Brian
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 05:55:44 PM by zavod44 »

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 08:36:45 PM »
Oh yes, I am a Plethora of knowledge.. Thank You for acknowledging my highly technical skills.

For everyone else, I'll find that damn can and post the product name. And yes, its good shiiit!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
Now we have another mystery to solve, when did Weber make a red Ranch? Finding one in good condition will be like finding the Great Pumpkin, or in this case, The Great Redhead! Nice find!!

Craig

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 06:48:30 PM »
OK, Here it is. The most amazing product to penetrate a rusted together anything!
I just need to figure out where to get some more. This can was sort of gifted.. A long story..
It wokred on a lock that was rusted shut. I didn't want to cut it.

Here is the webiste: http://northamerica.certifiedlabs.com/products-metal-working-fluid.html

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 07:50:45 PM »
Id like to see more pics of this Ranch. 
Kettle collector AND cooker!