Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: The Smokestack!  (Read 2302 times)

Duke

• The Duke
The Smokestack!
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
The Smokestack is my cold smoking system that I have been working on for the past few years, well I only mess with it during the cold weather. I have tried putting a piece of coal in it, under it ice under the cheese and so on, but have found it's all unnecessary. Give this a try the next time you smoke cheese. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of it in use, but will on the next batch.

My Smokestack is made from an exhaust tip for a car, but I think just about any piece of pipe would work. I didn't drill any holes, but it wouldn't hurt to try putting one or two in it for lighting. What I did do is put a screen in it made from some doubled up expanded metal to hold the wood slivers.

The cheese, sharp cheddar and hickory.

The Smokestack

I light with a Bernzomatic, I torch the side of the metal until I see some smoke. The heat from the metal seems to keep it going for the first few moments and then it just keeps going.

The Smokewood. This stuff works perfectly because it's all slivers, but I bet the pellets would also work. It comes in a few different flavors too.

Give it a shot, maybe you can help get it dialed in even better.

Chasing_smoke

• WKC Ranger
Re: The Smokestack!
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 08:15:04 AM »
This looks awesome Duke! Great work!
MH Copper mist, Daisy Wheel P, Homer Simpson OTG, Blue 18, Blue Mastertouch, SJS, Genesis Sliver B, Red 18 Bar-b-q-kettle Pat Pending, Copper performer

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
Thanks Chasing Smoke, the cheese actually took on some color, but I smoked it twice.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 06:36:08 PM »
Nice work! I need to give this a try

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 03:47:40 PM »
duke, this looks really promising.

would you be willing to write up something more of a how-to on this?
get some good pics of building it and put it together for the blog?

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »
Sure, I think I could do that. Just PM me and let me know where to begin.