Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: WSM 18.5"  (Read 1124 times)

225tostayalive

• Smokey Joe
WSM 18.5"
« on: December 13, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »
bought a used Smokey Joe Gold the other day and the seller mentioned he had a 18.5 he wanted to unload  that was at his cottage

he says it is a pre 2008 model  asking 150 bucks  which seems like a fair price if it is in decent shape

he will send photos of it this weekend before i go over to see it

I always wanted a 22.5 WSM but up here they are over 500 bucks new taxes incl

I feel 18.5 will be adequate for what I will use it for but my question is the pre 2008 model

I know there were some improvements made for the 2009 model year    should I hold out for a newer model?

any suggestions?
Weber OTG Blue, Weber OTG Black, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe Gold, Smokey Joe Silver, CharGriller Akorn, PizzaQue Pizza cooker

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
Re: WSM 18.5"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:42:05 AM »
Nothing different really on the WSM. The pre 2008 may not have a therm in the lid and it may have the smaller water pan. Other that that they are all pretty much the same. $150 is a good deal. If it's in good shape then grab it. I have a 14, 18, and 22. Paid $150 for my 22 but the others were bought new. The 18 does a fine job feeding my family of four.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
Re: WSM 18.5"
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
+1 for the older style WSM. 

If it's in good shape and the pieces fit together snugly, I'd go for it.  You can add a lid therm if you like, and same for a larger water pan.  But those parts aren't at all essential for successful cooking.

(One thing I *wouldn't* do is clean that WSM back to shiny-- at least on the inside.  Unless it smells funky, you're better off with that gunk, which helps to seal up the sections and keep the smoker cooking at the proper temps.)
One of the charcoal people.