Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Red Seville drive-by  (Read 7555 times)

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Red Seville drive-by
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Drove by a two-family flat in an area not too far from my house today and spotted this...

There were no cars in the driveway, and I had my 3 year old with me, so I didn't ring the doorbell, but I intend on going back as soon as possible. From my viewpoint, it appears to be in good shape. It looks like it has the ashpan; can't say for sure, but it didn't look like there were handles on the bowl.

Would love to get your opinion on what a reasonable cash or trade offer I should make for this beauty....

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:56:52 PM by Bob BQ »
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Troy

• Statesman
Re: Red Seville drive-by
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:15:50 PM »
holllllyyyyy ballls.

what should you offer?

offer to take care of it first. if you go to the door with googly eyes and a low-ball, they will think that you're out to make money.

let them know that you collect and would LOVE to restore it for them.
ask about its history before you ask if you can buy it.

let them know what the restoration involves as far as time, money, and skills.

i would start with an offer of 75 and have at least $300 with me.

kako5256

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »
i'd drop mine off and head straight back with $400. I'd just cut to the chase and give my strongest offer. one i would be extremely happy with weather they would take less or not. i think i'd start at $250 and go up by 100 then 50 as a last ditch. keep in mind i have never seen or touched one.
If it's a weber, I can't pass on it. That's my sickness! I hope I am never cured.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »
oh my...

From that photo, it looks to be nice, cant even see any surface rust on the cart.  Ask them if they use it much, if not, maybe they don't care to much about it?  Maybe even offer to buy them a new OTG or OTS to trade?  You never know.  But as the others said, bring extra money with you.  Cash is always king.  If its in that nice of condition...bring fresh 100's with you.  It will be sure to get their attention if they might be on the fence!   Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:57:05 PM by Jeff »
Kettle collector AND cooker!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:21:17 PM »
I think your kids car seat will strap to that cart. Knock on the door and drop your car keys in the owners hand and walk that badboy home.

That's awesome you saw that in the wild. I bet you feel like you shot a photo of a Sasquatch.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

kendoll

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:32:48 PM »
Sweet! Well spotted. A few nice old grills being spotted in St Lou these days. :)

Ken
Willing to trade first born for: *Ranger (any colour) *Westerner (yeah right)

*Imperial (Glen-Blue) *Brown GA

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:03:29 PM »
Nice find! I would just ask them if they would consider selling it. If you feel the need, tell them it was just like one that Grandpa had when you were growing up and it brings back great memories. Most average people aren't really attached to the oddballs. I bet they would let it go for a hunert and be really happy.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 05:33:50 PM »
Nice find! I would just ask them if they would consider selling it. If you feel the need, tell them it was just like one that Grandpa had when you were growing up and it brings back great memories. Most average people aren't really attached to the oddballs. I bet they would let it go for a hunert and be really happy.

Duke just called me an oddball..  :P     Seriously though, like the others have said.... bring extra cash, offer a trade for a brand new cooker, if they still like colored kettles, a green or blue or copper OTG might be a nice trade up for them. That is if they don't want black. Good luck and keep us posted.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 03:00:31 PM »
Grail!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 03:17:55 PM »
I'd offer a new Performer-Platinum-Charcoal w/gas ignition and it won't rust if left out in the weather. 
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
Yea if you start offering all kinds of money and acting a fool you won't get it.  Don't even bring up the collecting thing right away.  Just ask if they would be willing to part with it and see how it goes.  Tell them your into old Webers and this one is cool.  Talk about the history a little,  see where it came from...just don't act like it's something extremely amazing

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 04:12:25 PM »
You could always see if he wants a left one. Wasn't it established that they go for a fair bit of money recently?

Sent from another Galaxy using Mental Telepathy

If it breathes, we can cook it!

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 04:45:02 PM »
Yea if you start offering all kinds of money and acting a fool you won't get it.  Don't even bring up the collecting thing right away.  Just ask if they would be willing to part with it and see how it goes.  Tell them your into old Webers and this one is cool.  Talk about the history a little,  see where it came from...just don't act like it's something extremely amazing

THIS!!!  ^^^^^^

Nice find, I have an all new GRAIL now.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »
Hoooolllly cow!  Nice work, Bob!  Can't wait to see what happens next. 
One of the charcoal people.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »

+1. Go in soft. Find out if they love it or need to make space on patio or if it's grandpas favorite thing in the world. Make nice and be cool. Leave your number in case they want to sell in the future.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.