Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Kettle owners thread & showoff  (Read 35856 times)

hdfry

• Smokey Joe
Re: Ranch Kettle owners thread & showoff
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »
Got my RC last June. It's a complete love affair. I used a Big Green Egg for five years but never really grew to like it. I've  been a Weber Kettle man since 1973. Been through a variety of models and had a love affair with each. This RC is the best of the best. It is so heavy and commercial feeling I can't imagine it ever having a problem. Speaking of heavy, I find that cleaning the ashes out is something of a chore. Both the cooking grill and the charcoal grill are heavy and somewhat unwieldy to remove. Does anyone have ideas on how to simplify this little chore?

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #151 on: October 09, 2019, 05:04:43 AM »
I would recommend using foil or a pan on the non hot zone for cooking as it will keep a lot of the fat and grease from falling into the grill and being difficult to clean.  Most everything over the charcoal side will just burn up on contact.  As for the ash I will allow the coals to completely go out and then look to clean the ash.  Unfortunately the top grate is really hard to clean around.  I will usually flip up the side grates, pick it up by the center section and set it aside.  After that you can either kind of broom the ash into the holes to fall below or take a shop vac to suck them out.  If you use a shop vac do it OUTSIDE or you will be coughing up ash for a few days.  You might be able to leave the charcoal grate in if you aren't super picky about your cleaning, but that is up to you. 

Got my RC last June. It's a complete love affair. I used a Big Green Egg for five years but never really grew to like it. I've  been a Weber Kettle man since 1973. Been through a variety of models and had a love affair with each. This RC is the best of the best. It is so heavy and commercial feeling I can't imagine it ever having a problem. Speaking of heavy, I find that cleaning the ashes out is something of a chore. Both the cooking grill and the charcoal grill are heavy and somewhat unwieldy to remove. Does anyone have ideas on how to simplify this little chore?
ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

bbqlvr

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2020, 03:48:32 PM »
Happy New Year to all.
2019 was good to me re: Weber kettle acquisitions.  I managed to get my hands on another SSP, 26’er and Ranch.
No pics at the moment. 
Once I clean her up I will post pics.
Anyone know if the older style cooking grate with the smaller hinged grate was stainless steel?
BBQLVR
Ranch, 26’er, Summit Charcoal Grilling Centre, SSP’s, SJ’s, CGA’s
Horizon offset, stick burner

ReanimatedRobot

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2020, 04:08:24 PM »
I believe some if the small hinge range grates were SS, but it depends on the year.  If you want to know for sure then do the magnet test.  If it is not magnetic or only slightly magnetic it is likely SS.
Happy New Year to all.
2019 was good to me re: Weber kettle acquisitions.  I managed to get my hands on another SSP, 26’er and Ranch.
No pics at the moment. 
Once I clean her up I will post pics.
Anyone know if the older style cooking grate with the smaller hinged grate was stainless steel?

Sent from my SM-G925R4 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

ISO: 18" & 22" Lime, 22" Cado, Plum SSP, Clean & Colored 18" for Midget Mod, and the usual Grails.

Prof.

• WKC Ranger
    • WeBBQ
« Reply #154 on: March 02, 2020, 02:54:18 PM »
Hi All, here mine with double fire point and custom drip pan...

https://youtu.be/kbewr6WKZag
BBQ are never enough

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2020, 05:58:48 PM »
I've got one currently covered in bird poop [emoji23]

Sent from my VS996 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

racedvl

• WKC Brave
« Reply #156 on: March 11, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
I officially joined the ranch club! She was a formal rental,  so the lid is a little beat up.  We usally do a customer appreciation lunch at work, and I've had to rent one in the past. She still needs to be scrubbed down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Jan M.

• WKC Brave
    • Mogschrauber
Ranch Kettle owners thread & showoff
« Reply #157 on: April 21, 2021, 05:17:56 AM »
Hi friends,

here is my latest toy!
2012 Model
Found it NIB

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:41:56 AM by Jan M. »
Best regards,
Jan

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #158 on: April 21, 2021, 07:38:23 AM »
Congrats Jan, time to fire her up!
Hi friends,

here is my latest toy!
2002 Model
Found it NIB

Sent from my SM-A715F using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #159 on: April 21, 2021, 07:41:10 AM »
My 86 Ranch, huge shoutout to my dutch grillfella @Joep who got me this in Netherlands.

Joep

• WKC Brave
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2021, 07:51:20 AM »
Glad I could help out Bertl. Here is your ‘86 ranch in a picture with my 2011 and 1984 ranch

Chris-B-Que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2021, 03:59:23 PM »
Whole super crispy skinned hog on my ranch.
Knocked this one out over the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ2FL

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2021, 05:40:49 PM »
@Chris-B-Que
Awesome looking pig roast.
What was the weight of your dressed pig? I’d like to hear more details about your pig roast. Thanks

I smoked a 42lb pig on 12/31/20 with a WRC roti setup.

Chris-B-Que

• WKC Brave
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2021, 05:51:22 PM »
@Chris-B-Que
Awesome looking pig roast.
What was the weight of your dressed pig? I’d like to hear more details about your pig roast. Thanks

I smoked a 42lb pig on 12/31/20 with a WRC roti setup.
So this was a 19kg/40lbs dressed pig.
Only just fit with snout and butt and ears touching the lid of ranch.
Injected all thicker parts with a homemade apple juice, brown sugar, butter and maple syrup injection.

Didn't hit this one with any smoke as i wanted the super crispy skin.

Had full baskets either side of pig running 450f+ for first 1.5hrs to really set the skin crackle good.
Then split the side baskets in half again so majority of coals and heat were near the thicker parts of pig like head and butt.

Then wrapped belly section in foil to deflect the heat so not to over cook the ribs and belly section.

Kettle temp was round 300f for another 4hrs till internal temp of 180f was reached.
Taken off and rested for half-1hr and pulled. Was fantastic.

Will be doing another asap.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #164 on: April 22, 2021, 04:27:51 AM »
@saxart what year is your mothership dated? Does the bowlvents have a yearcode or not? Wish i knew when Weber switched from mbh to wooden handles at the bowl of the Ranch's
Cleaned up entire kettle and grates.  Removed and polished lower dampers.  Polished legs.   Sanded and 5 coats of spar varnish on lid handles.  Steel wool on kettle and triangle.   New thumbscrews.  New wheels.

Behold....

Ready for take off....