Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: What type of fuel do you prefer?  (Read 13176 times)

Duke

• The Duke
Re: What type of fuel do you prefer?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 01:39:03 PM »
when i light my smoker, i use homemade starters made with paraffin, dryer lint, and empty egg cartons.
  ???

I have been using KB for a long time since I have been stocking up when it's on sale. but I also have a load of B&B standing by. My choice is Lazzari oak, but I haven't been out there to pick any up. They only offer it at their factory.

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 01:55:44 PM »
when i light my smoker, i use homemade starters made with paraffin, dryer lint, and empty egg cartons.
  ???

Better than belly button lint I suppose. I would only use that on a Homer Simpson ! ;D
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Duke

• The Duke
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
  ???

Better than belly button lint I suppose. I would only use that on a Homer Simpson ! ;D
I heard that! ;D

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 07:04:04 PM »
Seems like a waste of perfectly good belly buton lint..
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

fishspoon

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 12:27:31 AM »
I use Kingsford blue. I think it adds an element of consistency when grilling or smoking
I use a chimney for lighting.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 03:20:34 AM »
My current stash includes Blue Bag Kingsford, which I use exclusively in the WSM's for comps. A few bags each of Ranchers, Stubb's and Maple Leaf Natural briqs, half a bag of Royal Oak Chef Select briqs, couple bags of Wicked Good lump for the BGE's, a few 5lb bags of Real Montana Apple, Cherry & Maple lump, Lazarri Mesquite lump and half a box of Charco's Coconut charcoal and a bunch of Maple Mojobricks. I'm not finicky and have been known to mix whatever is left in the bags to get the job done!

Weed burner for starting all my cookers-Jim Minion uses one and calls it "lighting his cooker"

I see Troy likes the Coshells Coconut charcoal, I wish we could get it locally. If you take a look at the Charcos website, Mike Craig did a video of one of his 18" WSM/Charcos test cooks-I got some from him and have been trying to figure out what type of cook to use it on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 03:23:21 AM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 06:19:57 AM »
Brian,
I notice a wide variety of items in your stockpile. But not one mention of belly button lint?
Must be part of your secret stash... 8)
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

swamprb

• WKC Performer
8 hours on 3 lbs. of Charcos Coconut Shell charcoal??
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 10:02:12 AM »
Check out this video Mike Craig of Seattle did with a Guru assisted 18" WSM and 3 lbs. of Charcos.

http://www.charcos.biz/

Coshell briqs get great reviews as well

http://www.amazon.com/Coshell-9-Pound-Coconut-Charcoal-Briquettes/dp/B003Z0C10O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »
Weber cubes, Chimney starter, K-Blue or Cowboy lump. I hate using newspaper, for the same reasons as listed above. Cubes are clean, quick, and efficient!

Craig

Grillingtome

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
I usually use Kingsford (I guess it is called blue, it is the regular kingsford) and I like to mix it with some Stubbs charcoal. If I could afford it I would probably use only Stubbs. I also add 1 small stick of apple, hickory or maple wood (depending on what I'm cooking) right before I add the food.  I start it with a chimney starter with 2 pieces of newspaper most of the time.  Occasionally I use lighter fluid on a pyramid stack of charcoal. It brings back the '70's when I was a kid and my dad would grill out. Just the smell of the lighter fluid lighting the charcoal brings back memories.
I use lump to smoke with where I control air more as lump burns too hot for me on my grill because I grill direct when I grill.  I don't use indirect much at all unless I am smoking. 
I don't use wood chips or chunks much unless it is mesquite. I can get apple, hickory, oak, maple and pecan all for free where I live, but mesquite does not grow around here so I have to buy it.
I also have some Royal Oak charcoal and I like it.  But I try to stock up on the kingsford every year when they put it on sale. This year they had 2 20 LB bags for $9.99.  I got the last 2 bag pack they had. ( I was late!) >:(

When lowes ran out last year the gave me the Stubbs for a big reduced price!

TheFinkFarm

• WKC Brave
    • My YouTube channel.
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 06:36:24 PM »
When lowes ran out last year the gave me the Stubbs for a big reduced price!
WOW. I am gonna try that the next time they put the kingsford on sale. I think Lowes only puts it on sale on Labor Day and Memorial Day weekends.
22.5" Blue OTG, Black SJ, Lime Green SJ X 2, Brick Red Performer, Outlaw Red 22" daisy wheel, Ivory MT, LE Red MT, Spring Green MT, Slate MT, Smoke MT.
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheFinkFarm

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »
Hope folks don't mind bumping an old topic (been devouring the forums reading all the past posts) but I wanted to chime in here.  I'm a bit of a hardwood purist.  I keep either Malis' lump, or Wicked Good lump on hand at all times for grilling.  I can get the Malis' at Shoprite for like 12 bucks for a 20# bag.  The Wicked Good is a bit more expensive, and since I have to have it shipped it comes out to about a dollar a lb.  I find it's worth it though, the stuff lights easy with no sparking.  It burns hot, burns long, and produces very little ash.  If I close up all my vents, it'll go out and I'll have plenty of coals to re-use next time.   Malis' is almost as good, but the consistency isn't as there.  While I've never had any WG spark on me I will some times get a Malis' bag that does. 

If I'm smoking I stay natural too.  I was using just Stubbs for a bit, but it produces so much damn ash.  My last smoke I used half Stubbs and half Royal Oak all natural briquettes and that worked perfectly. 

One Touch Platinum

• WKC Brave
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2013, 09:34:11 AM »
I use Kingsford blue exclusively. I have been using it since I started grilling so I am used to the way it burns...I know how much for how hot and how long. It is very consistent. I use a Weber chimney to light....just newspaper to light the chimney. Almost never use any wood for smoke, my Wife is not a big fan of too much smoke flavor, but I do have some cherry and some pimento for the rare occasion I need it for the flavor.
If it needs to be Heated to be Eated, I can do it on my Weber!

gunner

• WKC Brave
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 02:15:22 PM »
I just started using Wicked Good "Weekend Warrior" Lump when I found it on sale at Ace Hardware. I ordered 5 bags of it and got 15% off or something and it shipped free to my local Ace for pick up. Wow it's good stuff. I used to only use KB (sometimes Stubbs but it's so pricey), but I hate all the ash and barely any flavor KB gives. I have to say I am loving the Wicked Good Lump. If you can find it, try it out. It burns consistant, you can snuff it out and re-use like KB. I use it on my kettles and my WSM and it's great and adds an amazing flavor to my grills/smokes. Give it a ride!   :P

ChadRex

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 11:06:46 AM »
I am in an experimentation phase..
Been looking for a good Coconut lump,  cant get Charcos or Coshell in my area, am working on making arrangements with KomodaKamdo to about 5 boxes of the KK Coco dropped shipped for pickup at Carson Warehouse..

Most of the Higher rated Lumps are not available in my area.. All the big Box stores Carry the Cowboy brands  .... Serious Quality control from what i have read.

I may give Royal Oak a try I see Walmart in my area sells it and it gets decent reviews..

In the mean time I have picked up some Japanese White Charcoal Binchotan.

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/japanese-binchotan'-lump-charcoal/

It is the highest grade Lump Charcoal one can get and it is priced as such.. From what I have read the closest to the quality and low ash/high long heat performance of Binchotan is the Coconut charcoals

Before I used Kingsford mesquite  ( No match light added) However lately I have preference for Coal that has no added wood so I can add my own to taste or none at all and let the food flavors and marinade speak to my taste buds..

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 11:14:15 AM by ChadRex »
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."                                                                                               ... Aristotle